Catch 22

I love a talking book, me
volcanogod

Catch 22

Post by volcanogod » Thu Jul 22, 2010 15:13

I've finally got round to reading Catch 22 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Friend of mine said the follow up wasn't as spirited as the original; is this true?

Currently i'm idling through Tintin In The New World

Final Loan
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Catch 22

Post by Final Loan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 15:22

What's the follow up called? Catch 22 2? Catch 23?
I may be ugly and hate-filled but... wait, what was the third thing you said?

Pockets Filled With Matches are no more, but we still have copies of our e.p. 'If Time Heals You' for sale, if you'd like one

volcanogod

Post by volcanogod » Thu Jul 22, 2010 15:26

Closing Time

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Closing Time

Author Joseph Heller
Country United States
Language English
Genre(s) Satire
Historical novel
Publisher Simon & Schuster
Publication date 1994
Media type Print (Hardback)
Pages 464 pp (1st edition hardback)
Preceded by Catch-22
Closing Time is a 1994 novel by Joseph Heller as a sequel to the popular Catch-22. It takes place in New York City in the 1990s, and revisits some characters of the original, including Yossarian, Milo Minderbinder and Chaplain Tappman.

The book has two stories that are interwoven throughout – that of Yossarian in the last stages of his life, and that of Sammy Singer and Lew Rabinowitz, two men from Coney Island who also fought in World War II (the Sammy Singer character makes a brief appearance in Catch-22 as the tailgunner aboard Yossarian's bomber who kept waking up and fainting when he saw Yossarian trying to attend to the wounds of Snowden).

As with "Catch-22", the topic of death is omnipresent, only in this case from (usually) age-related illnesses, in particular cancer (rather than dying in battle, as with its predecessor).

One notable inconsistency in the book is that although Yossarian was 28 in Catch-22, which took place in 1944, in Closing Time, Yossarian is 68, and the time of Catch-22 is referred to as "50 years ago".

There is a man mentioned by Lew named Vonnegut, whom he met while in Dresden. This is a reference to Kurt Vonnegut's experiences in the Bombing of Dresden and his book Slaughterhouse-Five.

morning chorus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by morning chorus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 16:12

closing time is hugely disappointing...