best books on indie

I love a talking book, me
kofi
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: best books on indie

Post by kofi » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Totally agree with the comments on John Robb's 'Punk Oral History'. I was hesitant about reading it because I didn't enjoy his Stone Roses book and I don't think I've ever got The Membranes or Goldblade, but I needn't have worried, it's great for all the reasons stated.

I also recommend 'Please Kill Me', and add 'Our Band..', 'England's Dreaming', 'Rip It Up', and esp. the follow-up books to the last two which had all the interviews ('Englands Dreaming Tapes' and 'Totally Wired') if you like your history first-hand.

I realise there are some people who aren't into punk or post-punk and we've gone off-topic but hey.. while we're here 'From the Velvets to the Voidoids' by Clinton Heylin is great too, tho I haven't read his more UK-centric follow up 'Babylon's Burning'.

What I really (really) want is 'No More Heroes' by Alex Ogg which covers the less famous first wave bands and had ecstatic reviews. it's quite expensive though.

trevor machine

Post by trevor machine » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:34 pm

sideburnsjim wrote:It doesn't really fit your remit, but I loved Young and Foolish by Alistair Fitchett. It's basically one mans thoughts on all the indie bands he has loved over the years.
Sounds nice - I'll sling it on me increasingly gargantuan amazon wish list. ; - )
Like others hither and yon, I fanny around at music - my band is always on the look out for other bands to split releases with. Any cockamamie idea considered - cassette, 7" vinyl, yellow flexi disc, wax cylinder and shellac 78s. PM me. ; - )

trevor machine

Post by trevor machine » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Tomb wrote:I always enjoy rummaging through Martin Strong's Great Indie Discography.
Christ, that's vast. Anyway, it's on the list - so cheers.
Like others hither and yon, I fanny around at music - my band is always on the look out for other bands to split releases with. Any cockamamie idea considered - cassette, 7" vinyl, yellow flexi disc, wax cylinder and shellac 78s. PM me. ; - )

trevor machine

Post by trevor machine » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:39 pm

alongwaltz wrote:
Murray wrote:It's not indie (although I've sneaked many of their short instrumentals onto mix-CDs without any hostility directed my way) but I really enjoyed Things The Grandchildren Should Know by Mark Everett, better known as E from Eels. You don't need to be a fan to enjoy it as it focuses mainly on his fucked up family. I loved its warmth, wit and honesty. (Mind you, what do I really know; it could all be lies!)
That's the one that Pete Townshend said told him more about the music business than any book about Elvis or Bowie. I feel like that's all the recommendation you need.
But what the hell did Townshend need telling about the music business by the time Everett's book came out?? Anyway, it sounds interesting so on the list it's gone.

trevor machine

Post by trevor machine » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:51 pm

indiansummer wrote:a few years ago my old band was playing an extra-poorly attended gig in whitby with goldblade

afterwards we sat off in the promoter's living room (the promoter crestfallen, thinking of the money he'd lost, and us somewhere between sympathy, guilt for not being a bigger draw and annoyance that it had been so shit)

we talked about fugazi for a long time and i asked about john's book about punk. he started talking about how he was going to write a book about the membranes. pete goldblade (briefly in the nightingales as well, 80s awkward fans) interjected "...which no fucker will buy!"

i imagine this is what evolved into the 'post-punk' book

dunno why i mentioned that, my best guess is a flawed attempt to look hep, with it or in the know. or something

"he's not a very good turn," mutters the crowd
No, no - I love tales from the indie trenches. Can I try to look hep for a sec? To do so, I'm afraid I'm going to have to wind the clock back to 1990 (iirc), and the night we supported The Popguns at a small venue in Blackpool. It was a cold and dead winter night and at that juncture they were indie royalty having not long previously released the incredible, coruscating Waiting for the Winter. And the band I was in had garnered some inkie plaudits. But - tragically - none of this mattered. The gig was dire - it was like the nightclub at the end of the universe. The Popguns came on, and when the dry ice finally wafted away, I was saddened to see the room almost empty. Sweet people though.

I've also had some dealings with Robb. He's one of the better ones out there. Has a bit of a mean streak though.