Help me find this book

I love a talking book, me
humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Help me find this book

Post by humblebee » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:25 pm

In which Anoraks worldwide help other Anoraks worldwide track down a copy of a hard-to-find book (hopefully).

This was posted in the 'what book are you reading?' thread about three years ago:
grumpytimes wrote:I haven't been contributing much to the book talk here recently, but just thought I should let you know one of my bestest friends Alex just had her first book published and I think a lot of the people on here will really like it. I was thinking about taking a couple of photos of some of the pages so people could get an idea of it - but it's told through a dialogue between two 'zines and is full of imagined found notes, mix tape covers and pen pal letters.

I'm going to be lazy and cut and paste the blurb.

A novel of text-talk, musomania, mix tapes, student bars and library intrigues, The Constant Losers starts with a google search for 'boykrew fan club' and ends in a 'zine war'. The book's heroes are two students whose strange relationship begins in print and develops through a series of chaotic encounters.

Packed with graffiti art, found notes, pencil sketches, music criticism and suprisingly sordid stories of worklife in an Auckland library in the early noughties, The Constant Losers celebrates and castigates twenty-first century youth culture.

Wild has a sharp eye for the improvised spelling, grammar, and morality of the cellphone generation, but The Constant Losers also shows off her concern with literary form and tradition, and her almost anthropological ability to examine and interpret her characters.

http://titus.books.online.fr/html/ConstantLosers.html

[edit] wow that picture is huge, sorry for clogging up the page
I am desperate to read this now, but the only place I can find it for sale is the publisher's website. They're based in New Zealand and it'll cost £crazy to get it shipped to the UK. If anyone can help that'd be lovely.

roundbitsofplastic

Re: Help me find this book

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:16 pm

Any luck? I can't even find it on the NZ Amazon site :-/

[just so you know, I edited my spelling mistake. This originally said "Any look?"]
Last edited by roundbitsofplastic on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:34 pm

The National Library of Wales doesn't have a copy, suggesting it was never published in the UK.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:52 pm

They're asking £15 for it in NZ, so is £22.50 that much if you really want it? Personally, I wouldn't touch anything I couldn't get for 50p in a charity shop : )

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:25 pm

I want to read it too so I have emailed them re: bulk purchasing/postage.

WE SHALL SEE.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:40 am

I have a copy now. Happy to lend it out to any Anoraks who want a go.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:26 am

humblebee wrote:I have a copy now. Happy to lend it out to any Anoraks who want a go.
You bugger! Where did you get it from?

I'm on the verge of importing some! We are IN DISCUSSION!

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip