Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by MJHibbett » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Hark A Vagrant!

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:09 pm

MJHibbett wrote:Hark A Vagrant!
That's not a very nice thing to call Ray!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:41 pm

tonieee wrote:
MJHibbett wrote:Hark A Vagrant!
That's not a very nice thing to call Ray!

Arf!

I'd forgotten she had books. I remember the first one seemed to sell out in seconds, I never got round to ordering anything after that.

I will totally but comics. Maybe even on the way to the train station for Popfest! Or maybe I'll go to Gosh! Shityea!
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

a layer of chips
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by a layer of chips » Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 pm

This is the only time you'll see me in this thread, but I'm rather taken by these:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/The-Post ... ly/8688795

linus

Post by linus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 pm

anyone trustworthy able to talk to me about brian michael bendis, I'm hankering after the guardians of the galaxy stuff but also some of the x-men/avengers schizzle, although I know spidey and daredevil (by bendis) got good reps too

eager to get me some superhero type action with some comic book crackle but don't want to buy no snorefests

people have always told me to check out bendis, plus he digs l&r so he must be ok... also eyeing up the weedon x-men nonsense too

any other recommendations?

kind of not ready to read any morrison just yet, kind of overdid him a while back

Yex
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/yex

Post by Yex » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:36 am

Dear Star Wars fans,

I just picked up the first four issues of The Star Wars. It's a comic based on George Lucas' rough draft of A New Hope. I haven't read them yet, but from what I understand it bears little resemblance to the final product; the protagonist is named Annikin Starkiller and Luke Skywalker is an old man.
humblebee wrote:Yex, what's that siren? Quick, hide! I think it's the Eleven Music Distraction Police. They've been alerted to your outrageous crimes against the definition of a country!

linus

Post by linus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:22 am

it looks loopy fun and preferable to yer actual films

MJHibbett

Post by MJHibbett » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:36 am

a fog of ideas wrote:anyone trustworthy able to talk to me about brian michael bendis, I'm hankering after the guardians of the galaxy stuff but also some of the x-men/avengers schizzle, although I know spidey and daredevil (by bendis) got good reps too

eager to get me some superhero type action with some comic book crackle but don't want to buy no snorefests
Good plan! I've not read Guardians Of The Galaxy (moving house=buying less comics), but have been very much enjoying All New X-Men by Bendis, and LOVE Ultimate Spider-Man by same. That's probably your best bet - if you get the latest volumes, "Ultimate Comic Spider-Man" (lots of extended names in comics at the moment) with Miles Morales as Spider-Man, that's the good stuff.

Bendis isn't your main source for non-boring comics though - his Avengers/New Avengers run was a bit long-winded and TALKY, to be honest. If you're after ACTION then I would HIGHLY recommend Superior Spider-Man... tho maybe go back and start at issue one from last year. The general idea is that Doctor Octopus has WON, killed Spider-Man and taken over his body. HI-JINKS ensue! Written by Dan Slott, it's exciting and fun, also moving. Current run of Daredevil by Mark Waid is GRATE too.

COMICS!

linus

Post by linus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:16 pm

yay! I've had a (ahem) 'splurge' and got some all new x-men (the ones where the past x-men come to the present to sort everything out), the first guardians of the galaxy bendis book, and the x-men vs avengers one which I went for based on the 'pro' comments from fans being more eloquent and erudite than the 'anti' comments... also went DC and got the 'red son' superman book which I've been meaning to grab hold of for an age now... plan to have comic purchasing fits of this type every few months, as soon as I realise I'm denying myself something for no good reason that I'm actually eager for I have to embrace it (I'm not being sexy when I say that)

future purchases will deffo include the spidey stuff you recommend, mark, plus I'd like to go back to the stuff I liked as a tot, the stuff that bent my mind, like the inhumans... stuff like that

MJHibbett

Post by MJHibbett » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Ooh, if you're getting collections, get "All-Star Superman" - best thing Grant Morrison has ever done, beautiful, exciting, all round ACE!

linus

Post by linus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:30 pm

it's on my list! gah! I wavered, should have not wavered... always wavering...

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Sarah from Sonic the Comic is doing a Rick and Morty spin off comic! Exciting!