Comic Book Chit-chat

I love a talking book, me
round bits of plastic

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by round bits of plastic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:59

Gordon wrote: Still, if you haven't checked out Simone Lia's 'Fluffy', I urge you to. Good story, good style, nice pictures, it's all lovely.
i think i was with Soft Revolution when he bought that Simone Lia book. i've not read it myself though.

i'm rationed with comics at the moment though cos i'm overdrawn :-( so i'm reading my unread one's VERY S L O W L Y

[edit]
maybe it wasn't 'fluffy' at all actually.. i can't tell..

[edit AGAIN]

i just realised that i bougt a board game made by Simone Lia called "quick put the kettle on"

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 22:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by Gordon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 15:17

caramarydaisy wrote:i need more comics. post amazon links please!
Here's Fluffy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fluffy-Simone-L ... 778&sr=8-1

Buy from an independent retailer if you can at all, though.
Toot toot.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 22:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by Gordon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 15:20

And coincidentally linked to from that page...
AEIOU/Any Easy Intimacy by Jeffrey Brown

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aeiou-Any-Easy- ... 778&sr=8-1
Toot toot.

round bits of plastic

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by round bits of plastic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 15:28

Gordon wrote:
caramarydaisy wrote:i need more comics. post amazon links please!
Here's Fluffy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fluffy-Simone-L ... 778&sr=8-1

Buy from an independent retailer if you can at all, though.
try page 45 in nottingham. the websit is neve rupdated but you can order over the phone.

mind, it's more fun to have a proper look 'round the shop, init?

User avatar
caramarydaisy
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 20:51
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: sheffield

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by caramarydaisy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 16:16

yep, i am well acquainted with page 45, i just never get to go over there.. still, maybe a browse about is in order again soon. or phone, yes.

i rarely buy books off amazon actually, but i do like getting an idea of them thru peoples reviews and pictures etc.. hence asking for links :)
i said OK! the wind said no

round bits of plastic

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by round bits of plastic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 16:45

caramarydaisy wrote:yep, i am well acquainted with page 45, i just never get to go over there.. still, maybe a browse about is in order again soon. or phone, yes.

i rarely buy books off amazon actually, but i do like getting an idea of them thru peoples reviews and pictures etc.. hence asking for links :)
[edit: i *finally* fixed this link]
you ain't no dancer is a good way to get hold of stuff by people you like AND discover newbies. AND it's kinda cheap n all. I only have volume 2 though.
Last edited by round bits of plastic on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:13, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
tonieee
Posts: 4497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 08:40
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee
Location: Sheffield Sex City
Contact:

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by tonieee » Wed Mar 19, 2008 17:27

caramarydaisy wrote:i need more comics. post amazon links please!
James Kochalka is my favourite comic book author. Especially Quit Your Job. He also does fab music too as James Kolchalka Superstar.

User avatar
alongwaltz
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 15:14
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by alongwaltz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:01

The Scott Pilgrim series is awesome.

And they're making a movie.

And it's being directed by the guy who did Shaun Of The Dead/Hot Fuzz.

AND it's starring Michael Cera as Scott!

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 22:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by Gordon » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:04

Did anyone get/see the graphic novel of Dead Man's Shoes? Was it any good?
Toot toot.

round bits of plastic

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by round bits of plastic » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:17

alongwaltz wrote:The Scott Pilgrim series is awesome.

And they're making a movie.

And it's being directed by the guy who did Shaun Of The Dead/Hot Fuzz.
and spaced. Edgar Wright.
AND it's starring Michael Cera as Scott!
i didn't know who that was but wikipedia tells me he's the biy from juno. it also tells me that he was in a film about Abbie Hoffman! wowza.
so you think the film will be mega? i mean i am COMPLETELY IN LOVE WITH the books, and Edgar Wright generally makes gold. i just can;t imagine it'll come across as well. i don't know why, it just films me with a sense of dread.

(i hope it is ace though)

User avatar
alongwaltz
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 15:14
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by alongwaltz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:02

round bits of plastic wrote:
AND it's starring Michael Cera as Scott!
i didn't know who that was but wikipedia tells me he's the biy from juno.
and Arrested Development. and Superbad.
round bits of plastic wrote:so you think the film will be mega? i mean i am COMPLETELY IN LOVE WITH the books, and Edgar Wright generally makes gold. i just can;t imagine it'll come across as well. i don't know why, it just films me with a sense of dread.
I don't know if it'll be huge or really promoted but I love Bryan Lee O'Malley and the Pilgrim series. I love Cera. And the fact that he's from the same area that the stories take place is great. I just hope they film it in Toronto too. If they incorporate all the landmarks that are in the books, it'll be especially great.

I'm not sure if the movie's going to be just the first book or the first four or what, though.

round bits of plastic

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by round bits of plastic » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:30

alongwaltz wrote: I'm not sure if the movie's going to be just the first book or the first four or what, though.
it'll probably be broken in to a trilogy or something. it had been optioned for a film before the 4th one was anywhere near being released.

i'm going to try to stop thinking about it cos i'll get all worked up and start having nightmares about the cast of friends playing ramona's evil ex's..

User avatar
wrapyrtroubles
Posts: 772
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 15:42
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/egg_fang

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by wrapyrtroubles » Sun Apr 06, 2008 19:25

I <3 John Porcellino! Just read some King Cat on the train home. Has anyone mentioned Missy Kulik? Sorry if so, I'm not very on the ball today. Here's her website anyway: http://www.missykulik.com/index.php
I want to marry her :(

User avatar
soft revolution
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 18:48
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc
Location: somewhere in the bullring
Contact:

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by soft revolution » Wed Apr 09, 2008 13:57

Gordon wrote:Still, if you haven't checked out Simone Lia's 'Fluffy', I urge you to. Good story, good style, nice pictures, it's all lovely.
It was recommended to me by a nice lady in Page 45 after I asked if they had anything twee and funny and dark. It's so crushingly sweet, it's amazing, and heartbreaking.

Hi Fluffy *waves at your avatar*

Edit: Just re-read the whole thread after posting this in my rush of initial enthusiasm. you've probably worked all of the above out.
round bits of plastic wrote:i just realised that i bougt a board game made by Simone Lia called "quick put the kettle on"
As played by The Deirdres!
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

linus

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by linus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 14:17

his name is Tom Gauld

and this is his hairy monster:

Image

linus

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by linus » Wed Apr 09, 2008 14:34

when you do get a chance to see it, I think you'll be smiling with unbridled joy

User avatar
quaycur
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 01:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: city by the sound

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by quaycur » Thu Apr 10, 2008 04:43

Has anyone here read Lost Girls?

Image

I have the opportunity to get the whole big set for very cheap, and I'm debating...
boys have a godstick, girls have a shamecave

linus

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by linus » Thu Apr 10, 2008 09:36

I wanted to, but it was well out of my price range

which between that and the whole farrago over getting the peanuts reprints in the uk and generally being perpetually skint has rather knocked the wind out of a lifetime comics obsession... I just tend to reread what I've got

oh woe is me

*world's smallest violin, etc*

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 22:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by Gordon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:27

linus wrote:I wanted to, but it was well out of my price range

which between that and the whole farrago over getting the peanuts reprints in the uk and generally being perpetually skint has rather knocked the wind out of a lifetime comics obsession... I just tend to reread what I've got

oh woe is me

*world's smallest violin, etc*
I've got lots of comic-reader zip files (although it's hard going reading comics on your computer). I have read Lost Girls on my computer, but I can't remember much of it, it wasn't really my cup of tea, I don't think.
Toot toot.

round bits of plastic

Re: Comic Book Chit-chat

Post by round bits of plastic » Sun Apr 13, 2008 13:53

linus wrote:his name is Tom Gauld

and this is his hairy monster:
oh! i've got a book of postcards by this guy! they're good fun

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest