Vegan & Vegetarian Food

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
Sylvie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Vegan & Vegetarian Food

Post by Sylvie » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:12 am

RITH wrote:Question. I'm trying to finally become a vegetarian. I do still love the taste of meat though, so it won't be easy. My main challenge will be missing the taste of chicken. What do you guys recommend as the most similar alternative/replacement for it? In the past I've tried the Quorn chicken pieces and they're okay but I'm open to suggestions.
I think tonieee's right to start with. I'm not fully vegetarian myself, but I always find I don't miss meat in vegetarian curries at all because there are so many other flavours to make it interesting. I found the Quorn southern fried burgers are probably the most authentic chicken flavoured, so might be worth giving them a try if you're really struggling.
Just be nice to me.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:44 pm

I was about to start a new thread about becoming a vegetarian, you know, basic skills and recipes and all that, but I suppose this thread can be used for that. Over the past 10 years or so, I've moved in the direction of less meat, from 7 days a week to, recently, about 3 days a week. Now it's time to try harder and really go for it. Sissi and Sam (my family) have been vegetarian forever, so I know a little bit, but I'd like to know more. More variation, mostly. But I like simple recipes!

There are 70+ pages of great recipes here, but what would you say is your favourite simple vegetarian dinner recipe?

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:12 pm

RITH wrote:There are 70+ pages of great recipes here, but what would you say is your favourite simple vegetarian dinner recipe?
Here is a quick recipe for veggie quesadillas: chop some onions, courgettes, spinach, mushrooms and red peppers (and veggie chicken strips or veggie chorizo or something like that, if you fancy) and fry them with some hot condiment (example) in a large frying pan. When the mixture is ready, take it out of the frying pan, quickly clean the pan with some kitchen paper and stick a tortilla on. Add a couple of spoonfuls of your veggie mix on one half, top with jalapeños and cheese and fold the other bit over it. Let it cook on lowish heat for 2-3 minutes and turn. When it's a golden colour and the cheese has melted, it's ready. Cut in two or three triangles. Eat.

darren

Post by darren » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:23 pm

RITH wrote:There are 70+ pages of great recipes here, but what would you say is your favourite simple vegetarian dinner recipe?
This is what I made for dinner last night and is one of my regular curries. Hopefully you agree with me classing it as simple! Sag Paneer recipe from Rick Stein. It's a tasty curry that comes together really quickly. This should make enough for 4.

1. Fry an onion in some butter / ghee / oil
2. Add garlic (3 cloves) and ginger (3cm)
3. Add 1 tsp each of chilli powder, garam masala and turmeric and fry for a minute
4. add some chopped and deseeded green chilli
5. add the paneer, mix together and fry for a few mins
6. Add around 500g of spinach – let it wilt a bit on a low-ish heat
7. Add some natural yoghurt and let it simmer on a low heat for a few mins
8. Serve topped with fresh coriander

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:28 am

RITH wrote:Question. I'm trying to finally become a vegetarian. I do still love the taste of meat though, so it won't be easy. My main challenge will be missing the taste of chicken. What do you guys recommend as the most similar alternative/replacement for it? In the past I've tried the Quorn chicken pieces and they're okay but I'm open to suggestions.
I haven't had chicken in like 20 years so I might be way off, but in my mind nutritional yeast tastes a lot like chicken. The main things I do with nutritional yeast are sprinkle it on popcorn or on noodles along with salt, pepper and olive oil, but I think you could really put it on pretty much anything you're eating.

As far as a favorite simple recipe goes, I don't know if this is simple, exactly, but for how many steps there are it's pretty fun to make and the taste is unreal: http://fullbellyfarm.com/recipes/chines ... een-beans/

I make some substitutions and whatnot depending on what I have around, and it's always delightful.

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:57 am

i always thougt nutritional yeast tasted like cheddar. which explains why it's good on popcorn.

RITH, my suggestion to you for a chicken substitute is, green jackfruit. it is actually fairly similar in taste/texture to chicken.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:27 pm

I just saw a report on the news about robots milking cows and I've decided to become vegan. Because I'm recovering from a broken leg I need to make sure I get plenty of calcium so what are people's favorite calcium rich foods?

Sylvie

Post by Sylvie » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:29 pm

tonieee wrote:I just saw a report on the news about robots milking cows and I've decided to become vegan. Because I'm recovering from a broken leg I need to make sure I get plenty of calcium so what are people's favorite calcium rich foods?
I'm probably not the best person to comment, as I'm not even a vegetarian... Most of this is probably really obvious, but I love soya & almond milk and I think they have almost the same amount of calcium in it compared to cows' milk anyway. I regularly eat Alpro soya yoghurt, because I was looking for yoghurt with a lower sugar content and found that it tastes really nice too. Tofu is great too and you can use it in savoury and sweet things, like cheesecakes. I like snacking on nuts too, especially almonds.

Hope your leg is on the mend now.
Just be nice to me.

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:32 am

Sylvie wrote:I'm probably not the best person to comment, as I'm not even a vegetarian... Most of this is probably really obvious, but I love soya & almond milk and I think they have almost the same amount of calcium in it compared to cows' milk anyway. I regularly eat Alpro soya yoghurt, because I was looking for yoghurt with a lower sugar content and found that it tastes really nice too. Tofu is great too and you can use it in savoury and sweet things, like cheesecakes. I like snacking on nuts too, especially almonds.
I've never got on with soya milk before but I've not tried soya and almond before so I might give that a go. I used to love soya yoghurt but not had it in years - does it have much calcium? I know soya milk often has added calcium.

I didn't know tofu had calcium in and I love tofu loads. I don't think I've ever cooked with it at home do that will be exciting. And tofu cheesecake sounds fab - I'm not usually a fan of sweet stuff but cheesecake is something that makes me break through the sweetness barrier.
Sylvie wrote:Hope your leg is on the mend now.
Thank you. It's slowly getting there. I'm mostly loads better but I'm in a lot of pain today - just need to rest it a bit I think. My next appointment with the surgeon is in a fortnight and I'm hoping they'll take the frame off then which will make a massive difference.

Sylvie

Post by Sylvie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:22 pm

tonieee wrote:I've never got on with soya milk before but I've not tried soya and almond before so I might give that a go. I used to love soya yoghurt but not had it in years - does it have much calcium? I know soya milk often has added calcium.
I compared plain Alpro yoghurt to a plain natural yoghurt and it was about the same, maybe 3g less per 100g. It probably varies depending on which brand, but sounds as good as the dairy version in this case. I don't know if it's added calcium, though. I think I read that oats have calcium somewhere (I could be wrong!), so I'd imagine a breakfast of oats and non-dairy milk/yoghurt could be good.
tonieee wrote:I didn't know tofu had calcium in and I love tofu loads. I don't think I've ever cooked with it at home do that will be exciting. And tofu cheesecake sounds fab - I'm not usually a fan of sweet stuff but cheesecake is something that makes me break through the sweetness barrier.
I think it's silken tofu you use. I've not made one yet myself, but have seen lots of recipes on the internet and they always look like a normal cheesecake made with cream cheese. We use the firm tofu for stir-fries a lot, usually with lots of broccoli, garlic, some chinese vegetables, sauce and rice to serve. In fact, I think broccoli might have calcium too!

I hope the pain subsides soon. I've only ever broken arms, which was bad enough, but I'd imagine it's really difficult to move around with a frame on your leg.
Just be nice to me.

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:44 pm

tonieee wrote:I didn't know tofu had calcium in and I love tofu loads. I don't think I've ever cooked with it at home do that will be exciting. And tofu cheesecake sounds fab - I'm not usually a fan of sweet stuff but cheesecake is something that makes me break through the sweetness barrier.
My understanding is that tofu is a good source of calcium only if the coagulant used to make it is calcium sulfate, but I'm not an expert.

I've heard that broccoli and dark leafy greens (kale etc) are good sources, and also that the conventional wisdom that dairy products are a good source of calcium is flawed.

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:31 pm

Thanks for all the advice Sylvie and Amanda.

I got some soya milk today so I guess it's started, though I did have some fried egg for lunch because I went out for breakfast and forgot that it would come with eggs.

I think initially I'll just give up milk, cheese and eggs and not worry too much about what's in other stuff. I hardly ever had much milk before I broke leg anyway and I think I can manage without cheese and eggs except for pizza. I could make home made vegan pizza but pizza is usually what we have when we don't fancy cooking. I'll have to find some other yummy, ready made food to replace it.

I eat quite a lot of broccoli already and eating more leafy greens will be a delight :-).
Sylvie wrote:I don't know if it's added calcium, though. I think I read that oats have calcium somewhere (I could be wrong!), so I'd imagine a breakfast of oats and non-dairy milk/yoghurt could be good.
I love porridge and I usually make it with just water rather than with milk too so that would be good.
Sylvie wrote:I hope the pain subsides soon. I've only ever broken arms, which was bad enough, but I'd imagine it's really difficult to move around with a frame on your leg.
Thank you :-D. It's been really good the last week. I'm hoping that they'll take the frame off at the next appointment and then I'll be able to have baths again :-D :-D :-D.
That's an interesting article but its claim that you can have a low calcium only if you give up caffeine is not much help to me.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:08 am

New Quorn product update...
a) Chicken and mushroom pasty slice things. Ace, virtually indistinguishable from the carnie version.
b) Chorizo-style sausages (like the cooking ones rather than the slicing ones). Cooked in a bean hoptpot. Totally vile. The texture of play-doh and not a great flavour.
Lardons are still in the freezer pending an omelette outing.
As you were.
"I don't know who you're talking about..."

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Silver Girl wrote:b) Chorizo-style sausages (like the cooking ones rather than the slicing ones). Cooked in a bean hoptpot. Totally vile. The texture of play-doh and not a great flavour.
Bring 'em round ours if you've got any left.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:17 pm

tonieee wrote:I think I can manage without cheese and eggs except for pizza. I could make home made vegan pizza but pizza is usually what we have when we don't fancy cooking. I'll have to find some other yummy, ready made food to replace it.
I don't know what's available in your region, but both Papa John and Pizza Hut have vegan crust and sauce options available. Just make sure you order your pizza without cheese. I know it'd be a bit of a bother, but if you insist on having some sort of cheese on your pizza, you could add vegan cheese yourself, or ask if they'd put it on for you if you'd bring it along.

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks for the tip Dennis.

I tried making my own pizza with vegan cheese last night and it was terrible! I couldn't finish it :-(. It had an overwhelming, strong cheesy taste that wasn't quite cheese. I may try again with a lot less cheese on it or maybe just without the cheese.

One of my work Christmas meals is at an Italian restaurant and I've looked at the menu and there's nothing vegan on it - even the salad has cheese in it. I think I'm going to have the pasta dish and ask them not to put cheese in it as that seems the easiest.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:12 am

tonieee wrote:One of my work Christmas meals is at an Italian restaurant and I've looked at the menu and there's nothing vegan on it - even the salad has cheese in it. I think I'm going to have the pasta dish and ask them not to put cheese in it as that seems the easiest.
Also check that the pasta is made without eggs.
not really here

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:47 am

Trev wrote:
tonieee wrote:One of my work Christmas meals is at an Italian restaurant and I've looked at the menu and there's nothing vegan on it - even the salad has cheese in it. I think I'm going to have the pasta dish and ask them not to put cheese in it as that seems the easiest.
Also check that the pasta is made without eggs.
Thanks Trev. It didn't occur to me that pasta could have egg in.

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Mon May 23, 2016 9:43 pm

I made this insanely tasty tofu spanakopita last week. I went with this recipe out of a sea of pretty similar ones because it uses fresh spinach (many use frozen) and because most of the ingredients were on hand. Having made and consumed it, I can't imagine there's a better version out there. I do think they got carried away putting tablespoons of salt in, and when I make it again I'll probably use less olive oil in the filling, but other than than it's pretty much perfect. Easy, too!

Next time I want to try it with funkier greens.

edit, in case anyone's doubting this spanakopita's cred: I journeyed to a Native Foods (the restaurant that spawned the blog) location in Boulder, CO to investigate, and while I was ordering, "Found Love in a Graveyard" by Veronica Falls came on. So the spanakopita does have cred.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Tue May 02, 2017 11:22 am

I am happy to confirm that these are an excellent innovation.