what are you cooking for dinner tonight, recipe and all?

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
roundbitsofplastic

Re: what are you cooking for dinner tonight, recipe and all?

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:27

BTW, the leftovers tasted better when I had them for my tea :)
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri May 06, 2011 09:44

Not tonight but last night.

I am poor so I'll eat what's at hand type recipe and it was actually NICE.

Wholewheat spaghetti & green stuff w/ Chickpeas

Spaghetti

oil
small/medium onion
brocolli
spinach
chickpeas
salt & pepper
1 clove of garlic
marjoram
water

all cooked up in the way you might expect.

I thought it would taste like hobo 60s vegetarian food but it was actually tasty. I could state the different flavours of the veg/peas cos they weren't overwhelmed by a sauce or anything, but they came together to make a palatable whole n all.

I've got some for my lunch today, too :-)

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Tweetotal
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/iceblinkluck

Post by Tweetotal » Sun Jun 19, 2011 08:40

I usually buy Processed Despair Swill (TM) from Iceland, put it in the oven, and then weep myself into a coma whilst eating it

or I will occasionally make a weird vegetable soup from scratch. All you need is water, stock, lentils, pearl barley, spices, and whatever vegetables you want - though I prefer potatoes, carrots, swede, and parsnips
five to six, that's what the time is.

Michel
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Michel » Thu Jul 28, 2011 06:48

Hello humblebee. it is a nice recipe and quite healthy also. I will try to make this recipe at home today. thanks for sharing such a nice and new kind of recipe.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Mon Jan 23, 2012 21:43

Oh, oh! You know savoury puddings, right, with a suet pastry, that you cook by steaming them, like steak and kidney pudding except not gross? I've always fancied having a go at one of those. Then last night I was lying in bed awake for hours, except instead of thinking about work or song lyrics or sex I was thinking about making a big steamed mushroom pudding with suet pastry.

So today I made it and it was bloody lovely. Amazingly, it cooked properly and came out of the dish in one piece and stood up properly on the serving plate and didn't collapse and looked amazing too!

The pastry was just bog-standard suet pastry (10oz self-raising flour, 5oz vegetable suet, salt and pepper, cold water) with a bit of French mustard. The filling was button mushrooms (whole) and leeks (sliced), with a few chunks of Quorn and cheddar cheese thrown in. I put a little bit of thick sauce round it, made with milk, cornflour and white wine. Seasoning was just mixed herbs.

With me so far? Good. Get an ovenproof pudding basin (I used a very old Pyrex one, about 6 inches diameter and 4 or 5 inches deep) and butter the inside. Roll the pastry out to about half an inch thick and line the basin with it. Trim off the excess and roll it out to form a lid. Put the filling in and seal the lid on by brushing milk round the edges of the pastry and pinching it together.

Now you're supposed to pull foil over the top of the basin and tie it on with string. I didn't have foil so I used greaseproof paper. Put the basin inside a pan and pour in enough boiling water so it comes about halfway up the sides of the basin. Put the lid on the pan and simmer it. Let it cook for at least an hour, hour and half if you can. Make sure the water doesn't all boil away.

When it's done, cut away the string and lid. Leave it to stand for two or three minutes. Then go round the edge of the pudding with a palette knife, easing it away from the bowl. Put a plate upside-down on top of the pudding and then flip the whole thing over. Lift the bowl off, et voila, there is your awesome pudding of awesomeness. We had ours with chips, peas and gravy. Bloody lovely it was.

The cheese might have just added a bit of texture really so you could probably leave it out. Stilton would work better but they didn't have any in Asda's this afternoon. A drop of pale ale in the sauce rather than white wine might be interesting too.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Jan 24, 2012 05:45

Good lord.

That's the cooking equivalent of crossing the Rubicon. Well done!

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Tue Jan 24, 2012 17:14

Ach, you've just re-ignited my crazy hankering to make a Sussed Pond Pudding - suet crust stuffed with sugar, butter and a lemon, which apparently turns into lemon sauce when it's been steamed. Wow.
"I don't know who you're talking about..."

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Mon Oct 29, 2012 19:53

I just made a dead nice Mediterranean stew type thing! Vegetables and gnocchi, with a crunchy cheesy top. Quite quick really, for how nice it was and how ace it looked on the table.

Put some very roughly chopped courgettes, red onion, and orange and yellow peppers in a big stew pan with some olive oil and crushed garlic. Cover and sauté on a low heat - 10 minutes or so.

While that's doing, cook some potato gnocchi.

Add a tin of tomatoes to the stew pan, then the cooked and drained gnocchi, with french beans, olives and cherry tomatoes. Salt, pepper, basil, parsley, oregano. Half a vegetable stock cube and a splash of Henderson's Relish. I put some red wine in as well at some point.

Put the lid back on and stew for about another 15.

If yr vegan, that'll just about do you. I'm not, so I stirred a knob of butter in for a bit of richness. Then I made a white sauce like you do for the top of a lasagne, poured it over the top, sprinkled mozzarella and breadcrumbs on and browned off the top under the grill. There might be a vegan way you can do that should you feel inclined. Anyway, it was feckin lush.

You could try it with aubergine if you like, Anorak, but I haven't really found a way to stew aubergine without it just melting down and disintegrating into the sauce.

Serve with crusty garlic bread and whatever packets of salad are on special offer in the Co-op. I got lucky with baby spinach and pea shoots, and it's not every day you can say that, is it?

lynsosaurus

Post by lynsosaurus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 21:39

That sounds fucking DELIGHTFUL, Pete. I am going to do that this week. Also, pea shoot salad! Gorgeous.

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Mon Oct 29, 2012 21:45

Let us know how it goes!

CORRECTION to the earlier post: don't put the cherry tomatoes in at that point. Do it like two minutes before the end.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Oct 31, 2012 16:53

I might make daal for tea tonight. I mean, I might not. We shall see.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 19:20

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, daal
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Nov 01, 2012 09:48

I didn't make daal.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 19:53

humblebee wrote:You could try it with aubergine if you like, Anorak, but I haven't really found a way to stew aubergine without it just melting down and disintegrating into the sauce.
Yeah Aubergine (or eggplant for the Statesiders) gets destroyed well easy doesn't it? How about the mousakka style and layer the top with slices of it before adding the white sauce and cheese?

That does sound an ace recipe though Pete. Going to give that a whirl sans-butter seeing that I'm on my health/weight loss kick at the moment.
Fuck your tea room.

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Thu Nov 01, 2012 20:02

Wheatabeat wrote:Yeah Aubergine (or eggplant for the Statesiders) gets destroyed well easy doesn't it? How about the mousakka style and layer the top with slices of it before adding the white sauce and cheese?
Yeah, sounds worth a try, that.

Let me know how it goes!

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Thu Nov 01, 2012 20:41

I'm totally making that gnocchi stew this weekend. I feel all funny just looking at the recipe.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:38

Right now I am trying to figure out what I can actually make for dinner out of the little bits I have left over til pay day.

At the moment I am figuring I might try to make a burger from tofu, sweet potato, gram flour and, um, onion/flavoury things.

Thing is, if I do this I have nothing to go with it. Sweet potato wedges being overkill. But while I have the inclination to make a burger w/ sweet potato, I feel maybe I should.

Anyway, this is all academic because I will probably just get home and east dry toast til I can't move.

(Mostly I am posting cos I am just so very, very bored at work)

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 09:55

I made burgers with:

200g firm tofu
1x medium sweet potato
dunno how much oats
yeast extract
generic mixed herbs

I dry-fried them and the texture was SPOT ON.

They were a bit bland and I realised afterwards that instead of yeast extract I had meant to use ginger/soya sauce/coriander (just cos I thought that would work well with the sweet potato) but I forgot cos I'm a nob.

I threw some generic curry powder in to the leftover mix and hopefully hey'll be a bit tastier tonight.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

fads

Post by fads » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:16

last night, i made a vegetarian chilli, basically taken from Jamie Oliver's website, but replacing sweet potato with just regular, grumpy potatoes.

it was nice.

one-inch cube the tatties, coat in oil, and pinches of salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, cinnamon.
oven 'em at 200C.
meanwhile, fry onion, garlic, ginger, red pepper, yellow pepper, coriander stalks.
add same spices as above and fry a bit more. maybe add some chillis if you've got chillis. i didn't. i used a smidgen of chilli powder.
add two tins chopped tomatoes, one tin chickpeas, one tin cannellinniiniini beans, a glug of water and a touch tom. puree and some sugar.
simmer.

wait. maybe play some fallout3.

when the potatoes look like they're gonna taste nice, put them into the chilli that should have reduced a bit by now and then serve with yoghurt and fresh coriander.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05

I;ve been eating chilli like you would not believe recently. This is mainly due to the fact that I have a bag of rice and tins of various beans in the cupbard that are getting eroded as we get cloder to pay day. Down the the last tin of brown chickpeas now. Will try to make something other than chilli.

chilli is good though,init?

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip