pate and dips!

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
caramarydaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

pate and dips!

Post by caramarydaisy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:15

i am a big big fan of dips. a long term favourite has to be taramasolata, but it is not always super easy to find, and can vary in deliciousness considerably. waitrose is always a good/preferred bet.

frankly i dont think you can ever go wrong with homus. my favourite of late is pesto homus, but olive homus is also dead good. i know you can suddenly buy all sorts of fancy homus but i quite like customising a standard pot of homus with my preferred topping/additions. yum. i have decided that this week i am going to make my own homus, because im sure this cant be difficult, aside from the face i will be mushing up chick peas with a hand held blender. still, i got some tahini to add and garlic, and i figure it cant go too wrong, right?

i also quite like regular shop bought pate, even tho it kind of grosses me out, i cant stop eating it. the smooth stuff mind. BUT, better than all that, has to be, mushroom pate, which i have decided is utterly divine. waitrose do one thats kind of watery, and in a block, but not really spreadable. it was okay. marks and spencers however did one that was really creamy and completely amazing but they have stopped doing it. at some point during my inconsolable upset, i decided i would MAKE MY OWN. so i did, and it was incredible!!

i basically chopped up and fried some regular mushrooms and chestnut mushrooms, some spring onions and shallots and fried with some mixed herbs, salt & pepper and garlic. then i seperated some of the mixture and mushed it up, but left some to add in after for texture. when it cooled, i added some cottage cheese and some double cream. probably the cream was excessive, but yknow it worked well. then seasoned to taste, and added some paprika and stuck in the fridge to thicken up before eating.

so good.

i figure theres loads of room for variation, using different types of mushrooms, onions.

anyone else got any thoughts on pate/dips - esp home made varieties/recipes??
i said OK! the wind said no

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Re: pate and dips!

Post by humblebee » Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:24

I like a nice paté.

I made a dead nice cheese and sweetcorn dip a couple of times to have with Mexican stuff. I can't remember how I did it now though!

I do a good bean paté with red kidney beans, tomato and basil. And another good bean paté with cannellini beans and mint and stuff. Both of these need a nice bit of olive oil, a bit of salt, and plenty of black pepper.

I don't think I've ever had taramasalata though. What is it again?

caramarydaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by caramarydaisy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:43

humblebee wrote:I like a nice paté.

I made a dead nice cheese and sweetcorn dip a couple of times to have with Mexican stuff. I can't remember how I did it now though!

I do a good bean paté with red kidney beans, tomato and basil. And another good bean paté with cannellini beans and mint and stuff. Both of these need a nice bit of olive oil, a bit of salt, and plenty of black pepper.

I don't think I've ever had taramasalata though. What is it again?
taramasalata is cods roe.. fishy.. so not one for you green!

send me some recipes if you remember em :)
i said OK! the wind said no

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Mon Aug 11, 2008 22:22

caramarydaisy wrote: i have decided that this week i am going to make my own homus, because im sure this cant be difficult, aside from the face i will be mushing up chick peas with a hand held blender. still, i got some tahini to add and garlic, and i figure it cant go too wrong, right?
I vaguely remember that when I tried to use a stick blender on chick peas, it clogged up immediately. The best way to do it in my opinion is in a big fuck-off granite pestle and mortar. But yeah, houmous is easy :)
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.