Recommend A Pub

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
User avatar
Uncle Ants
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 13:04

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by Uncle Ants » Mon May 11, 2009 10:38

and what was it called before ... just so we don't suggest what it's already called :)
In Recordeo Speramus

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10543
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 16:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by humblebee » Mon May 11, 2009 15:15

I mentioned it earlier in this thread. On the last page.

I know I could have just told you the title by now, and that would have been easier than typing all of this out, but there's a valuable moral lesson here. Probably.

User avatar
Uncle Ants
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 13:04

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by Uncle Ants » Mon May 11, 2009 17:03

I should have looked harder shouldn't I :)
In Recordeo Speramus

User avatar
darvé
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve
Location: London

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by darvé » Mon May 11, 2009 17:11

humblebee wrote:I need a new name for my pub blog, because I've just realised I accidentally nicked the title from a book.
Have you read that book Pete? Is that the book thats written by the same person who wrote the train one, Parallel Lines?

I think i wanted to read it, but never did.

This is a very insightful post.
and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner

User avatar
Uncle Ants
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 13:04

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by Uncle Ants » Mon May 11, 2009 17:15

davo wrote:
humblebee wrote:I need a new name for my pub blog, because I've just realised I accidentally nicked the title from a book.
Have you read that book Pete? Is that the book thats written by the same person who wrote the train one, Parallel Lines?
Hang on though ... if this bloke pinched the title of HIS book from an old Blondie album he can hardly moan if Pete accidentally "borrowed" the same title for his blog can he? :)
In Recordeo Speramus

User avatar
darvé
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve
Location: London

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by darvé » Mon May 11, 2009 17:26

Ha, very true!

Anyway, it does seem to be the same person that wrote both, and i just ordered The Longest Crawl for £2.76 incl. postage, which is less than the price of pint now isn't it.

I went in a cracking pub in Gravesend on Saturday night, recently done up from a dirty old run down pub into a really nice, well stocked and friendly little place. It won't last.
and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner

roundbitsofplastic
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57
Location: Brumagem

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Mon May 11, 2009 18:26

pints mean prizes.

i promise no more suggestions.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

User avatar
jamboshoeshine
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 18:39
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/jamboshoeshine

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by jamboshoeshine » Thu Oct 29, 2009 21:46

I find the Trip to Jerusalem awful. It's just full of tourists. Or bikers. Or both.
I like it as a pub, and it has some nice beers. Also I have fond memories of not being allowed in it as a child.

But you're right. Last time I was in there some scary locals attempted to 'chat up' some Italian tourists, ie they talked shit at them until they were uncomfortable enough to leave. Then laughed about it. Sigh.

Woodbine
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 02:24
Last.fm: www.lastharbour.co.uk
Location: London

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by Woodbine » Thu Nov 05, 2009 19:25

Can anyone recommend a decent alehouse in Cheltenham? (Probably not but it's worth a try.)

Just for the record, I quite like the Trip to Jerusalem, but then I have only been there three or four times, and always during the day I think. There's a definite 'us and them' feel though, with the tourists in the room on one side of the bar and a gang of CAMRA beards holding court in the other.
Is evil just something you are, or something you do?

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10543
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 16:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by humblebee » Sun Dec 20, 2009 01:12

I have renamed my pub blog and just added a new post about the Sheffield Tap.

You can now find the blog at gettothepub.com

If any of you subscribe to it, would you mind updating your RSS reader things to point to the new address please? Thanks.

I apologise in advance for cross-posting this.

User avatar
Tomb
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:53
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242
Location: Legra
Contact:

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by Tomb » Sun Dec 20, 2009 09:34

Woodbine wrote:and a gang of CAMRA beards holding court in the other.
Using a Greene King pub? The shame. I see GK has managed to ruin the Bell down the road too. Still had a few beers other than GK on the last time I was there but the pubs character has changed for the worse. Still not visited the caves underneath it yet either.

User avatar
nanski
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:53
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: she lives by the castle

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by nanski » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:42

humblebee wrote:I have renamed my pub blog and just added a new post about the Sheffield Tap.

You can now find the blog at gettothepub.com

If any of you subscribe to it, would you mind updating your RSS reader things to point to the new address please? Thanks.

I apologise in advance for cross-posting this.
it's a nice blog, humblebee. Awww.... it really makes me miss Sheffy. We'll have to have a pint in the Tap next time I'm around, yeah? (In late march, early April, by the looks of it...)
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10543
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 16:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by humblebee » Sun Dec 20, 2009 16:57

nanski wrote:it's a nice blog, humblebee. Awww.... it really makes me miss Sheffy. We'll have to have a pint in the Tap next time I'm around, yeah? (In late march, early April, by the looks of it...)
Aw thanks! You're always missing Sheffield aren't you? Yeah, it'd be great to catch up - remind us all nearer the time and we'll make it happen!

User avatar
caramarydaisy
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 20:51
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: sheffield

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by caramarydaisy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 13:40

humblebee wrote:I have renamed my pub blog and just added a new post about the Sheffield Tap.

You can now find the blog at gettothepub.com

If any of you subscribe to it, would you mind updating your RSS reader things to point to the new address please? Thanks.

I apologise in advance for cross-posting this.
aw thats dead good. i want a blog!
i said OK! the wind said no

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10543
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 16:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by humblebee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 16:22

I dunno whether to post this in 'Recommend a pub' or the blogs thread!

Anyway, for those of you who are interested, Get to the pub.com now has an A to Z index of every pub with a visit mentioned on the site. Since I started posting weekly round-ups at the turn of the year, which list every pub I visit, there are a few up there now.

http://gettothepub.com/atoz/

Later this week I'm posting a feature on the Compton Arms in Islington, which may or may not be interesting for those who were there with me on the Friday of London Popfest.

Dave - I've only just seen your question about that Ian Merchant book. Sorry! No, I still haven't read it, but I'd really like to...
Last edited by humblebee on Tue Mar 09, 2010 16:29, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 09, 2010 16:26

humblebee wrote:Later this week I'm posting a feature on the Compton Arms in Islington, which may or may not be interesting for those who were there with me on the Friday of London Popfest.
I spent an awful afternoon in that pub recently. Went to watch Wales vs. England in the 6 nations and the place was chock full of hooray henry's. They didn't seem to like that I was wearing a Welsh rugby top, either. I usually find that place is really nice place for a beer. But that afternoon, we (English mate) made a swift exit at half time.
not really here

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10543
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 16:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by humblebee » Tue Mar 09, 2010 16:29

Trev wrote:I spent an awful afternoon in that pub recently. Went to watch Wales vs. England in the 6 nations and the place was chock full of hooray henry's. They didn't seem to like that I was wearing a Welsh rugby top, either. I usually find that place is really nice place for a beer. But that afternoon, we (English mate) made a swift exit at half time.
Apparently it's not terribly pleasant when Arsenal are at home either.

Sport should be banned.

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 09, 2010 16:40

humblebee wrote:I dunno whether to post this in 'Recommend a pub' or the blogs thread!

Anyway, for those of you who are interested, Get to the pub.com now has an A to Z index of every pub with a visit mentioned on the site. Since I started posting weekly round-ups at the turn of the year, which list every pub I visit, there are a few up there now.

http://gettothepub.com/atoz/
That pub blog is coming along nicely, Pete. Must remember to check it more often, I don't really do RSS feeds and all that, so I tend to forget to check sites from time to time.
not really here

User avatar
mkgleeds
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 00:19
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mkgleeds
Location: North London

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by mkgleeds » Tue Mar 09, 2010 19:29

humblebee wrote:
Later this week I'm posting a feature on the Compton Arms in Islington, which may or may not be interesting for those who were there with me on the Friday of London Popfest.
I used to really like that pub - but it did becomes the Islington Council pub of choice during the week. So now i cant go in for fear of bumping into someone i used to work with that i don't want to see anymore.

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Recommend A Pub

Post by a layer of chips » Mon Mar 15, 2010 07:48

I see Wetherspoons are opening all their pubs from 7am from the end of April.

Anyone fancy a pint?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest