Soup!

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
Uncle Ants

Re: Soup!

Post by Uncle Ants » Mon Sep 15, 2008 16:34

nanski wrote:I'm surprised it's American. we're not as into blending our soups as you Brits (at least in my experience).
It's one of several books Paula has that have recipes from a (presumably fairly famous) veggie restaurant in San Francisco called Green's. I think it must be a very special place. The recipes tend to have quite a few ingredients, but nothing too hard to get your hands on and easier than at first glance. They are however uniformly brilliant, though us Brits have to get our heads round the whole "cup"s of ingredients thing. I don't think I've made a recipe from them that wasn't good. And they happen to have a fair few soup recipes :)
crystalball wrote: I declare this to be The Best Thing I've Ever Eaten. Anoraks, you all have to give it a go and follow Uncle Ants's recipe to the letter because it's just completely wonderful.
Aha you liked it then ;)
In Recordeo Speramus

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Mon Sep 15, 2008 16:59

Are you allowed to use tinned or frozen sweetcorn? Or would my ass get busted by the chowder police?

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Mon Sep 15, 2008 17:03

humblebee wrote:Are you allowed to use tinned or frozen sweetcorn? Or would my ass get busted by the chowder police?
It'd be okay I think. The second half of the corn still has a bit of crunch to it in the soup when you use the fresh stuff, tinned might need a bit less cooking (quite a lot less) as its already been cooked once, so might be best to reserve some and drop it in the last 5 minutes.

Edit. 4 or 5 cobs is quite a lot of corn though - you would need a big tin.
In Recordeo Speramus

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Mon Sep 15, 2008 17:05

I used tinned sweetcorn and it was great - but don't cook it too long.

The whole thing about blending this soup is that usually for chowder you'd use milk or cream, right? By blending half the ingredients you get the chowdery texture without making it too heavy or too sweet. And the thyme gives it this lovely smokey flavour.

It'll soon be time to go home and eat the rest of it for dinner. I'll come and talk about it again tomorrow. :)

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Mon Sep 15, 2008 17:08

I bet it would be awesome with sweet potato, too.

susanb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/susanb84

Post by susanb » Tue Sep 16, 2008 16:56

That sweetcorn chowder sounds lovely, I think I'll make it soon as well. I made some veggie soup last night (swede, carrot, potato and onion) which turned out quite nice. It's definitely getting back into soup weather now.
I wish I could make this train
go faster than anything

mimpkin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mimpers

Post by mimpkin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 09:22

Greens Restaurant have a website that will give you an idea of the lovely food in their truly magnificent cookbooks. Lots of soup too!

http://www.greensrestaurant.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are no pictures in my old editions but I like cookbooks without pictures, it means you don't have to look at Jamie Oliver spitting everywhere or that sweary bloke and all them tele chefs.

I have also just noticed that there is one Greens cookbook that I don't have, (I have three at the mo) and of course Christmas is coming up . . . I'll have to ask Santa!
totally wicked and equally ace

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Nov 14, 2008 15:03

Some news in the world of Soup:

An excess of Celeriac requires a solution.

Celeriac, Potato and Leak Soup

1 Large Celeriac (Celery Root in some parts of the world)
2 medium potatoes
3 cloves Garlic
2 leaks
3 pints light veg stock
knob of butter
half a glass of white wine
bay leaf
white pepper
salt to taste

Peel and slice spuds and celeriac thinly (be quick with the celeriac or into water an lemon juice or it'll go brown, also chop out any middle that's gone spongy - spongy celeriac is a really bad thing), crush the garlic and drop all three into the pot and cover with two pints of the stock and add a pich of white pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for about half an hour.

Meanwhile slice the leaks lengthwise and then slice thinly across. Sweat in the butter until it softens and then drop in the wine. Cover for 5 minutes and let it steam a bit, then uncover and gently cook until most of the wine has cooked off.

After the main soup has been going half an hour, get out the masher and mash the poatao and celeriac in the soup (you could blend, but it's better of it isn't so smooth). Add the leaky stuff and cook for another 15 minutes or so. Season with salt and white pepper to taste and use the extra stock to adjust the consistency. Scoff!
In Recordeo Speramus

caramarydaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by caramarydaisy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 00:30

i made a really great mushroom soup last weekend..

flat mushrooms
chestnut mushrooms
garlic
pinch of salt/pepper
spring onions
onion
flour
chicken stock cube

basically in a bit of butter, fry a small onion, a few cloves of garlic and the spring onion until soft. add in the mushrooms until cooked. fold in a tablespoon of flour. add some water and the stock cube and a pinch of salt/pepper and simmer. whizz up and et voila.

i was half expecting it to taste rubbish cos i sort of winged it all, but it was actually so tasty, with barely any seasoning or owt.. really good!
i said OK! the wind said no

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Sat Nov 15, 2008 09:26

That sounds really good. What sort of quantities mushrooms are we talking?
In Recordeo Speramus

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:42

Long time since the soup thread had an outing.

Last night we had Tomato, Carrot and Lentil soup

1x Splash of oil
1x medium onion chopped fine
1x medium carrot chopped fine
6x cloves of garlic crushed
2x teaspoons mixed herbs
1x tin tomatoes
1 litre of veg stock (I used Swiss Bouillon)
1x bunch of red lentils (not sure how much I didn't measure it - a handful lets say)
season with black pepper and a good splash of tabasco

(you can add a chopped red pepper to this as well but I didn't have one)

Fry onions, carrot and garlic til soft (and the red pepper if you are going down that route), add everything else and cook for about half an hour to 40 minutes. Then give it a demi whizz - enough to break some of it up, but still leave it with plenty of bits. Eat it.

Nice with a bit of Parmesan on top.
In Recordeo Speramus

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 15:13

oooh that lookds good, i wish i was making it now. damn.

still, coincidence, i am about to blend my brocolli, cauliflower & pea soup now. then i'm going to add butter beans.

and it just started raining, i must've known it was gonna be soup weather :D
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:29

yum im in a real soup phase lately.

while i do make a lot of soups myself normally, i bought some pots to take to work with me this week..

i got this one, which is a longstanding favorite of mine: http://www.yorkshiresoup.co.uk/tomato.html

..and i also got a leek and potato one and a mushroom one from marks cos they were on offer. this leek ones yum. the ingredients are pretty similar to what i normally make mine with, only this has got a bit of cream, and peas. i think its the peas that are really giving it that something extra. i cant wait to experiment some more. i love making soup!

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:34

leek and potato is the bomb. I just had some pea and ham soup for lunch, it's definitely the best thing for cold weather - plus it's a good reason to buy fancy bread!

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:37

tompony wrote:leek and potato is the bomb. I just had some pea and ham soup for lunch, it's definitely the best thing for cold weather - plus it's a good reason to buy fancy bread!
it is the bomb, but not so when its gone cold like mine. huff.

linus

Post by linus » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:42

I'm having chicken and goji berry soup for my lunch

it's homemade (but not by me) and liberally laced with chilli, ginger and garlic... I'm hoping for good things

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 14:24

This soup is the business: Beetroot soup with lime, ginger and wasabi. It's not spicy like I thought it'd be but it's very robust and tasty. It's also gorgeous to look at and I'll admit, that's what drew me to it while looking at the pots of soup. Probably best to wear an apron while eating it because my goodness is that a deeply rich magenta hue! I've already spilled some on the carpet.

Hey look at that icon switch about in the tab! Aw.

(there's no fish in it!)
There's more than one use for every part

Dear Sir

Post by Dear Sir » Mon Jun 28, 2010 15:05

I am going to attempt this spicy peanut soup with bananas very soon, though I think it is not a favourite of ms. strengthofstrings. If I have any left, Jen, I'll bring it round.
Yawn.

nanski

Post by nanski » Tue Jun 29, 2010 00:06

Dear Sir wrote:I am going to attempt this spicy peanut soup with bananas very soon, though I think it is not a favourite of ms. strengthofstrings. If I have any left, Jen, I'll bring it round.
i love that soup!
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Mar 22, 2011 00:10

Is kale suddenly all trendy? Will it be outrageously expensive soon? I hope not!

Anyhow, here's a really nice soup. I made a giant mess making it, but I think it was my overly ambitious roasting my own raw in the shell peanuts (they're way cheaper) and making kale chips from the leftover kale that caused the kitchen chaos. I didn't do all that letting it cool before pureeing half at a time, either. I just jammed the stick blender in it and whirred it up before that last coco milk/spices step.

Curried Red Lentil, Chickpea And Kale Soup

For The Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1/2 bunch red, green or dinosaur kale, washed, trimmed and finely chopped (about 2 packed cups)
1 cup red lentils
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 (15-ounce) can light coconut milk
2 teaspoons hot curry powder
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
Several shakes of salt, to taste

For Garnish
1/4 cup lightly toasted unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
2 tablespoons roasted unsalted peanuts, finely chopped

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm olive oil. Add onion, carrots and celery. Saute until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add kale and boil for 2 to 3 minutes, then drain. (This will make it more tender). Add drained kale, lentils, chickpeas and broth to the carrot mixture; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until lentils are tender.

Let soup cool before pureeing. Pour half of the lentil mixture into a blender and puree. Pour pureed lentil mixture into a bowl, and repeat process with the remaining soup. Once the soup is blended, return to the pan. Add coconut milk, spices, ginger and salt. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated through. Remove from heat, and season to taste with salt. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with toasted coconut and peanuts.