Take me out to the (base) ball game!

football, cricket, darts, athletics - the lot
Paquito

Re: Take me out to the (base)ballpark!

Post by Paquito » Tue Mar 25, 2008 15:45

The Indians got to the American League Championship Series last year (basically if the World Series is the final then the Championship Series in both leagues are semi-finals) and they've built up a nucleus of a good team so will be there or thereabouts once more. However, they're in a division with the Detroit Tigers who've strengthened considerably over the winter and will probably be favourites to win that division. I imagine the Indians will be in the mix for a wild card (each division winner goes through to the play-offs, as does the 2nd placed team from the 3 divisions with the next best record, called the wild card team).

The rules are complicated and there's a lot of strategy to brush up on but once you watch some games you get into it and pick up on all the nuances.
They don't call me Hawkeye Gilhooley... at all

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Mar 25, 2008 16:38

Hang on! This thread title is All Wrong. It should Take Me Out to the (Base) Ball Game!

I'm getting the threadstarter banned from Fenway.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Mar 25, 2008 16:41

squirrelboutique wrote:I'm getting the threadstarter banned from Fenway.
No need to, I've been banned on my own since the last "incident" involving 14 cups of Sam Adams and blinding the Yankee's pitcher w/my bare ass.

Please change the thread title. Or take over the thread--I know jack shit about baseball!

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Tue Mar 25, 2008 16:47

I was going to ask about the title, what with it being more wrong than a very wrong thing. Even Manny Ramirez is showing his displeasure -

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Mar 25, 2008 16:48

I don't either, besides knowing that song and how the game works. It's maybe the only sport that I know the rules for and things.

Bunt!

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Mar 25, 2008 17:53

squirrelboutique wrote:Bunt!
Cake!

Oh no, Manny's so grumpy w/me there. Eek!

madcat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/hullukissa

Re: Take me out to the (base) ball game!

Post by madcat » Mon Mar 31, 2008 21:12

The new ballpark in DC looks pretty great.

The cherry trees in left field really make it, I reckon.

Meanwhile, in about two minutes my beloved Giants get their start against the Dodgers here in Los Angeles. We've had by far the worst spring training in the majors. Barry Zito, the opening day ace, had a spring ERA of like 25.00. The starting lineup is a motley rotation of rookies hitting .240 and variously injured, creaking veterans. The rest of the teams in our division are looking fairly intimidating and each could have a plausible claim on the championship. They will, in any event, likely get to pad their victory totals this season by routinely beating up on us.

And yet, damn it if I'm not feeling totally optimistic about the Bondsless Giants. Come on guys! Let's not finish in last place! We can do it!

I love opening day.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Mon Mar 31, 2008 21:34

Isn't the Pope celebrating Mass there next month? I bet that's his blimp.

madcat

Post by madcat » Mon Mar 31, 2008 22:33

Yes he is, and at Yankee Stadium too if I'm not mistaken. I wonder what kind of curveball he's got.

Meanwhile, Giants are down 4-0 in the 4th inning. Zito gave up 3 in the first. It's going to be a long season.

madcat

Post by madcat » Fri Apr 04, 2008 23:51

The other night I took my nephews to Dodger Stadium for Game 3 of LA's opening series against the Giants. We waited out a 75 minute rain delay in the fifth inning and were rewarded with a scrappy 2-1 Giants victory, the first of the season. Tim Lincecum and Brian Wilson are pretty deadly on the mound. (Too bad we don't seem to have actual bats in the lineup to back them up.)

Anyway here's a piccie from the bottom of the stairs in the Left Field Pavillion, of one of my rainsoaked, hooded nephews:

He caught a ball during batting practice before the game, by the way. You can't tell from this baseball-assassin-looking-photo but he was well chuffed.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Sat Apr 05, 2008 00:19

Sort of off-topic, but sort of on. My dad taught my niece "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," and she walks around singing it pretty much all day long now. It's sort of really ridiculously cute.

agooner
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by agooner » Fri Apr 25, 2008 19:23

any tips for surviving a night at the ballpark ?

madcat

Post by madcat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 20:31

Nachos, root beer and a clipboard for keeping score. One of the best ways to spend a warm summer evening. Switch the root beer to regular beer if you must... but ballparks are generally known for serving shit beer.

agooner

Post by agooner » Mon Apr 28, 2008 03:02

we had great seats:

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would,
Last edited by agooner on Tue Apr 29, 2008 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Mon Apr 28, 2008 09:56

The Red Sox got swept over the weekend by Tampa Bay. TAMPA BAY!

Fuck's sake, the world's gone mad, it just isn't right etc... The AL East is going to be most interesting to watch over the next few months.

Huw

Post by Huw » Mon Apr 28, 2008 14:03

I almost undertand it all now. That's a lie. I know enough to not just be a total lump of confusion, but its a start!

I watched some of Detroit v the Angels last night/this morning. There appeared to be very little of hitting the ball with the bat. When they did it tended to go backwards. Is this normal? It seemed wrong. Two hours I watched and only two actual hits. What a weird sport.
particularly the headers
www.theswapsies.co.uk

Paquito

Post by Paquito » Mon Apr 28, 2008 14:16

Just sounds like good pitching to me, making the hitters miss the sweet spot of the bat and foul it off (going backwards). A good major league hitter usually only gets a hit 3 out of every 10 at bats (giving a batting average of .300 which is considered the benchmark) so it sounds pretty normal.

Huw

Post by Huw » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:20

Oh I see!

I though .300 meant 3 hits every 10 balls! Crikey - it is an even weirder sport than I thought!

What gets me also (i'm sorry if I come across as Mr Know Nothing, but I do know nothing) is how random the scoring is, Indians lost 2-1 then won 16-1. Its crazy, But all the better for it! I can't wait till I'm actually in the states, its gonna be ace. Screw the football, I wanna see portly Venezuelans swinging and missing!
particularly the headers
www.theswapsies.co.uk

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon May 19, 2008 17:00

Oh (base) balls. My coworker just informed me that tonight is the night my department is going to the Sox game. I thought it was tomorrow night and I'm freaking exhausted and so not in the mood for goddamned enforced fun. Feck. Double feck.

Look for me in the crowd looking very grumpy and downing pints of Sam Adams in order to "get into the spirit(s)" (i.e., avoid talking to my coworkers at all costs). I hope the one person in my office I like is going. Feck.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Fri Jul 04, 2008 14:37

Did you see the game last night, Chris? Sweet! It was a rare one for me that I watched almost in its entirety. My son has taken a new interest in baseball (and tennis! I can't believe how much Wimbledon he's sat through with me) so we were out to dinner at my local and after sat at the bar and watched the game. 7-0! Woo! With my new hero (cuz he's actually cute and prolly not a right-wing asshole like Schilling) RELIEF pitcher (I love when the "underdog" gets to shine) Jon Lester.

I feel like a bad mommy for indirectly teaching Ewan to boo the Yankees (who he calls the "Ankees" like a cockney saying "hanky") but it just pops out! It's in my blood!