Pommel my horse!

football, cricket, darts, athletics - the lot
squirrelboutique

Re: Pommel my horse!

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Apr 08, 2008 14:22

Wrestling and squaredancing?

You went to the best school ever. St. Rosalia's sucked total butt. I'm going to yell at my parents for sending me somewhere with so few fun gym options.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Apr 08, 2008 14:32

squirrelboutique wrote:Wrestling and squaredancing?

You went to the best school ever.

Hardly. The gym roster was set up by the state. Everyone in Massachusetts would have been subjected to the same cruelty. Thankfully the square dancing stopped at the end of elementary school. Allowing junior-high-aged kids touch each other in that manner would have caused all sorts of problems.

We also had aerobics in junior high and got to make up dance routines--now that was awesome. I remember starting off this routine w/my friends where, lying on our backs, we put our feet together in the middle--like you'd see in synchronized swimming. It was to the Buggles "Video Killed the Radio Star."

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Apr 08, 2008 17:36

We had a dance routine to Thriller when I was in the fourth grade.

I got to be one half of the door creaking open in the beginning.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Apr 08, 2008 17:47

snorkachu wrote:
alongwalkhome wrote:Yes, we totally got to wrestle. It was awesome. My talent--believe it or not--was speed. That paired with a low center of gravity and I had a pretty awesome record. The key was to take the girl's legs (yes, only same sex wrestling--boo!!) out from under her the second the whistle blew; before she knew what hit her. I take this same approach with sex.
Predictably, I am megaexcited about this news. Why haven't you told me this before? You're the Chyna of anorak.
I won't have you exploiting Marcy the way you exploit Phil and Woody.

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by lynsosaurus » Tue Apr 08, 2008 17:56

squirrelboutique wrote:We had a dance routine to Thriller when I was in the fourth grade.

for some reason, this image is perhaps the funniest thing i have ever envisaged, EVER.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Apr 08, 2008 18:00

lynsosaurus wrote:
squirrelboutique wrote:We had a dance routine to Thriller when I was in the fourth grade.

for some reason, this image is perhaps the funniest thing i have ever envisaged, EVER.
It gets funnier. My leotard rode up and everyone saw my Smurf underwear and spent the rest of elementary school singing that "la la la la la la" song every time I walked by.

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Tue Apr 08, 2008 19:05

My parents sent me to gym class when I was little and I could do this one thing where you're like crouched down balanced on your arms and sort of swoosh your legs around and lift your arms up out of the way as they go by? I can't describe it, and anyway I tried to do it again a few years ago when I (unsoberly) remembered it and (unsoberly) decided it might be some sort of innate gift. It was not.

All gymnastic stories end in heartbreak, it seems. I bet Thermopylae is the denouement of a gym story.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

DefenderOfPants
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DefenderOfPants

Post by DefenderOfPants » Tue Apr 08, 2008 19:17

an eye-patch and smurf underwear? were you like the coolest kid ever?

i miss the parachute.

in high school, i don't remember ever actually playing any sports in gym class. we would just talk about playing them. there was never any time!

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Tue Apr 08, 2008 19:52

Both my parents were high school gym teachers. Keeping that in mind it's extra embarrassing I've never been able to do even a simple handstand.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Apr 08, 2008 20:24

gloom button wrote:My parents sent me to gym class when I was little and I could do this one thing where you're like crouched down balanced on your arms and sort of swoosh your legs around and lift your arms up out of the way as they go by? I can't describe it, and anyway I tried to do it again a few years ago when I (unsoberly) remembered it and (unsoberly) decided it might be some sort of innate gift. It was not.
Isn't that pommeling? Is pommeling a verb? Do you mean doing this but on the ground? Were there no pommel horses in Ireland?

And oh gosh, yes. I was pretty much the dorkiest kid ever.

DefenderOfPants

Post by DefenderOfPants » Tue Apr 08, 2008 20:41

i think that's called break-dancing.

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Tue Apr 08, 2008 20:45

squirrelboutique wrote:
Isn't that pommeling? Is pommeling a verb? Do you mean doing this but on the ground? Were there no pommel horses in Ireland?
Oh! Yeah, that is what it is. I don't think I stayed long enough to get to do it on one of those high-up things. In a novel that would foreshadow other stuff.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Apr 08, 2008 21:13

I'd say it's high-time you forsook drummering for pommeling.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Apr 09, 2008 03:26

squirrelboutique wrote:everyone saw my Smurf underwear
I would love to have Smurf underwear--bitchin! Remember underoos? I was never allowed those for some reason. I did have Deputy Dawg underwear, which is just plain odd. Good thing you really have no shame at 6.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Wed Apr 09, 2008 03:47

I wasn't allowed to have Underoos either! I'm not sure anyone even ever gave me a reason. Were they flammable or something?

I'd ask my mom now, but she'd likely get upset thinking I was still pining for them.

I bet it's because they weren't cotton.

DefenderOfPants

Post by DefenderOfPants » Wed Apr 09, 2008 04:52

i had a variety of superhero skivvies. and i don't know if i had a similar experience to squirrelboutique, but i decided that i was embarrassed by them. i showed my parents that i was mature enough for plain whites by throwing all of my skivvies out my bedroom window.

i felt extremely guilty about it afterwards.
Last edited by DefenderOfPants on Thu Apr 10, 2008 02:29, edited 2 times in total.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:54

That's badass.

Yes, I'm sure there were breathability issues with Underoos. I also refused to ever where little girl vests--whatever those things were called. I didn't like my chest feeling constricted. I'm sure my mom was like, "I'm not buying you a matching set of Super Girl Underoos just so you can throw the top away."

nanski
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by nanski » Thu Aug 28, 2008 14:19

awww i loved doing gymnastics, but we never did it properly in school. I never learned to do a flip, though, but i could do walkovers. it always scared me a bit going over backwards.
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!