The Football

football, cricket, darts, athletics - the lot
crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

The Football

Post by crystalball » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:02 pm

So what team is everyone on here supporting? It used to confuse me a lot on Bowlie.

ARSENAL!
Last edited by crystalball on Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roobee

Post by roobee » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:14 pm

ST MIRREN!

Although they're a bit shit and I don't really like football that much. My dad used to take me to see them when I was younger.
Last edited by roobee on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingofpartick
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by kingofpartick » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:16 pm

Partick Thistle. The Jags, the Maryhill Magyars, The Unpredictables of Firhill.
I remember when all this was fields

Woodbine
Last.fm: www.lastharbour.co.uk

Post by Woodbine » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

I thought this forum was called 'Spotty Anorak' for a minute there. I'm off to get me eyes tested.
Is evil just something you are, or something you do?

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:04 pm

Grimsby Town; or, as the club is generally referred to by the local townspeople, That Load Of Shite: e.g. "Uh, what do you wanna go an' watch That Load Of Shite for?"

Cleethorpes (where the football club is based) won a Britain in Bloom award this week for having the nicest flowers in Britain or something pretty like that. The reaction of the local townspeople can be summarised as "Uh, council, waster money, shudder spent it on more dustbins and roads".

Anyway, we were dead good yesterday beating Hereford. The team is getting proper back into the Buckley groove of pass and move. Feels good.

Shame the chairman's gonna pull out and leave us in the shit if he doesn't get to build his new ground.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:24 pm

QPR

as in West Bromwich Albion 5 QPR 1

nice quote from John Gregory before today's match: "We've discussed the future and if we are in a good position in January I'm sure Flavio will spend. He wants to win."

not quite sure how we're going to be in a good position in January with Gregory in charge but perhaps Flavio will spend his money on a whole new team and a brand new manager regardless of that

we're now bottom of the championship with an impressive 3 points (2 away draws and a home one, if memory serves)

a Leeds fan I knew once dismissed QPR to me as a 'glamour' team

I suppose everything's relative

macdangerous

Post by macdangerous » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:10 pm

Second vote for the Jags.
Good to see us top of the league for something.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Every (association football) club I used to follow in Australia ended up going bankrupt.

In Ireland, I go to Bohemians as they were my local club when I first moved to Dublin. They're not very good (oh all right, they're bloody awful), but at least there's a bit of atmosphere at their matches - mostly people complaining.

Currently 5th in the league, which will be finishing up in about a month - they play March to October here, in an attempt to not lose too many fans on the coldest nights - but in the semis of both cups, so could be worse.

(Also an armchair supporter of a massively uncool English side... but that's not important right now)
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

darvé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve

Post by darvé » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:29 pm

andygrunt wrote:QPR

as in West Bromwich Albion 5 QPR 1

nice quote from John Gregory before today's match: "We've discussed the future and if we are in a good position in January I'm sure Flavio will spend. He wants to win."

not quite sure how we're going to be in a good position in January with Gregory in charge but perhaps Flavio will spend his money on a whole new team and a brand new manager regardless of that

we're now bottom of the championship with an impressive 3 points (2 away draws and a home one, if memory serves)

a Leeds fan I knew once dismissed QPR to me as a 'glamour' team

I suppose everything's relative

I used to go out with John Gregorys niece you know, she was the person single handedly responsible for making me listen to GOOD music (circa 96) alas she dumped me for another lady.. Still, i did have the pleasure of attending John's daughters christening, the drummer from Thunder was there, turns out they're good friends.

Yes, thats right Andy, the drummer, from Thunder, RAWK.

Football you say? Until about 2 months ago i was an avid supporter and watcher of Conference underdogs Gravesend and Northfleet.

Now, i seem to an avid supporter and watcher of Bluesquare Premier side Ebbsfleet Utd.

Mid table obscurity seems to be beckoning this year after last years heroic almost making the play-offs.

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:41 pm

davo wrote:Football you say? Until about 2 months ago i was an avid supporter and watcher of Conference underdogs Gravesend and Northfleet.

Now, i seem to an avid supporter and watcher of Bluesquare Premier side Ebbsfleet Utd.
How did you feel about the name change? Are the fans OK with it in general?

darvé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve

Post by darvé » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:20 pm

humblebee wrote:
How did you feel about the name change? Are the fans OK with it in general?
Well it came from nowhere really, we finished last season sponsored by Austrian airlines (i always thought that was a bizarre one) only to be told post season that the deal had finished.

Maybe a month later they announced the new name, it was the day after a supporters meeting and the offical announcement stated that the supporters trust had agreed to it, unofficially, they seemed just as shocked as the rest of us.

Unsuprisingly, it was only a matter of days before Eurostar were announced as the new sponsor. From a business point of view, it makes perfect sense, Ebbsfleet the station is right behind the ground and when it opens in November its obviously going to bring the area to peoples attention. The problem is, we're just not a good enough team to capture the passing crowds. Without Charlie McDonald we're struggling to score and we still have a problem in the last 10 minutes of games and let in too many equalisers/winners.

Everyone seems to have got used to it now though, they've always been known as The Fleet so that hasnt changed, i think after the initial disgust and shock it seems to have settled back into mild indifference to the name and more concern with whats going on on the pitch.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:51 pm

Spurs. As in "Spurs 2 Aston Villa 4". Again, I blame my father for the lifelong habit. Still, I got to see the likes of Hoddle, Gascoigne, Ardiles etc. in my younger days.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:55 pm

Swansea City, as in the team that sold their best striker (Lee Trundle for a million) and they now wonder why they can't score goals.

For any Londoners - I am considering going to the Orient (leyton) to see The O's play the Swans next saturday (6th October) at 3pm. All welcome to join me for a fry up and the footie.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:57 pm

Johnny Cement wrote:Spurs. As in "Spurs 2 Aston Villa 4". Again, I blame my father for the lifelong habit. Still, I got to see the likes of Hoddle, Gascoigne, Ardiles etc. in my younger days.
That somehow became 4-4 in the space of 7 minutes. Villa were my top league side when I were a kid - before I discovered the joys of real football in Divisions 3 and 4.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:01 pm

lostmusic wrote:That somehow became 4-4 in the space of 7 minutes.
I know, I almost had a heart attack when the 3rd one went in. I've not seen a report that said "Spurs fought their way back from 3 goals down" in my whole life, so maybe that's a good sign. Defence is still wank though.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:04 pm

Johnny Cement wrote:
lostmusic wrote:That somehow became 4-4 in the space of 7 minutes.
I know, I almost had a heart attack when the 3rd one went in. I've not seen a report that said "Spurs fought their way back from 3 goals down" in my whole life, so maybe that's a good sign. Defence is still wank though.
Jol's still gotta go, hasn't he?

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:06 pm

That was a bit mad, wasn't it?

Jol must stay!

Miss Anna

Post by Miss Anna » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:14 pm

This is now the most depressed living room in the country. There was dancing earlier. Dancing! Damn Tottenham, ruining my party with their comeback. I don't even particularly want Villa to win anything, but it would be nice if everything wasn't suddenly sour just because apparently Harewood is an arse.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:26 pm

lostmusic wrote:Jol's still gotta go, hasn't he?
No, Jol ought to be left to do his job properly. In January Spurs were in the bottom half and everyone said "Sack Jol", then they ended up 5th again and in the UEFA Cup (and probably in the group stages, assuming they don't lose by 5 or more in the 2nd leg). They need to tighten up at the back, desperately, but they're great going forward - 14 Premiership goals, which is double Man Utd's tally, plus 8 in other competitions, I make it. That's 22 in 10 games. I don't think Spurs will get relegated, it's been a rubbish start but midtable is no worse than normal (for the past 15 years at least) and I think there are some big wins on the way once they stop leaking goals.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:31 pm

Johnny Cement wrote:
lostmusic wrote:Jol's still gotta go, hasn't he?
No, Jol ought to be left to do his job properly. In January Spurs were in the bottom half and everyone said "Sack Jol", then they ended up 5th again and in the UEFA Cup (and probably in the group stages, assuming they don't lose by 5 or more in the 2nd leg). They need to tighten up at the back, desperately, but they're great going forward - 14 Premiership goals, which is double Man Utd's tally, plus 8 in other competitions, I make it. That's 22 in 10 games. I don't think Spurs will get relegated, it's been a rubbish start but midtable is no worse than normal (for the past 15 years at least) and I think there are some big wins on the way once they stop leaking goals.
I was more thinking from the point of view that the board have treated him like shit. I wouldn't stick around if I had that level of support from above. The way they've gone about doing stuff has been pretty poor.