us - canada
agooner
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

the Mid West

Post by agooner » Thu Oct 11, 2007 17:22

its started getting cold and I don't have my coat

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu Oct 11, 2007 17:26

The thing I hate most about the Midwest is the lack of coat stores.

Get you to Goodwill! You can get a coat for under ten bucks, and it might have fun stuff in the pockets already.

agooner
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by agooner » Sun Nov 25, 2007 03:34

If anyone wants to visit, holla

this clump of trees

Re: the Mid West

Post by this clump of trees » Tue Nov 10, 2009 21:09

i'm gonna be in chicago for six hours next week. is there anything not-boring to do within walking distance of union station?

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 14:02

eggs wrote:i'm gonna be in chicago for six hours next week. is there anything not-boring to do within walking distance of union station?
You'll be just a few blocks west of the loop (business district) and thus Sears Tower. I would recommend just walking east. You can come out of Union Station onto Adams or Jackson (I remember!) streets and just start heading east because those streets will take you straight to the Lake, which is only about 3/4 of a mile away.

I think walking around the Loop can be dazzling, especially with all the holiday lights up. You can head over and see what's happening in Daley Plaza. The Christkindlmarket won't be up till Thanksgiving.

My favorite skyscrapers are the ones that were built first and thus have a lot of interesting architectural touches and are generally more grand and ornate, not simply tall glass boxes. You can find a lot of those on the south edge of the Loop, just south of Jackson. You'll bump into the massive library around there and State St. which is architecturally ugly but has a fantastic collection of EVERYTHING you could possibly want + it's a great place to hang out when it's too flippin' cold to be outside (which it just might be).

You can also walk north on State St. which has a lot of interesting shops and displays. Then head just 2 or 3 blocks east to Michigan Ave. The skyline opens up and you'll see parks and other interesting landmarks. You can head north on Michigan and you'll go over the river again which will take you to more shopping but also warm indoor places. Walk along the river too. There's lots of interesting walkways leading towards the lake and away from it.

All that I've mentioned is within a mile - mile and a half of Union Station. If you get lost, just ask anyone for directions. But Chicago is so perfectly organized on the grid system with its neverending long, straight streets, it's pretty hard to get lost! And cabs are cheap so it should only cost you @ $6-10 to get you back to Union Station. If you want to know anything more specific, just ask me!
There's more than one use for every part

this clump of trees

Post by this clump of trees » Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:08

many thanks :-)