Finland

Annika

Finland

Post by Annika » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:44 pm

No finnish thread yet, so Im starting one - now!

Any finnish people around? Im only half finnish (half swedish, two citizenships), but still - just curious! Im thinking about going to Helsinki soon, havent been there for years and dont have a clue where to go for bands, indie-clubs, nice cafes and things like that. Also, the Indie Travel Guide lacks a Helsinki-guide - does anyone know anyone who could contribute to that..?

Well, Im going to kick-start this thread with mentioning some of my favourite things related to Finland (I hope I can get away with this without seeming eh, nationalistic..!):

*the language!
*Moomin. Poetic, melancholy and cute. And a bit frightening too.
*Finnish liquorice!! Mmm.
*Aki Kaurismäki, the film director
*Cats on fire!
*22 Pistepirkko
*Interior-design stuff.
*Finnish bread.

things I dont like:
*Finnish immigration-policy
*Finlands fondness of heavy metal and the likes of that awful music scene.
*Their growing interest in nuclear power plants. theyre building one not far away from me. hmm..
Attachments
catsonfire2.jpg
20070619lights.jpg
supersal.jpg
supersal.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 8902 times

Annika

Re: Finland

Post by Annika » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:51 pm

More Kaurismäki-related pics; from the film Mies vailla menneisyyttä (The man without a past)
Attachments
mies_ilm_menn.jpg
mies_ilm_menn.jpg (67.45 KiB) Viewed 8883 times
kauris.jpg
kauris.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 8884 times
Last edited by Annika on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 pm

I've had a soft spot for things Finnish ever since I had a massive crush on a Finnish girl when I was about 19. I even tried to learn the language, but as anyone knows who's ever encountered it, it's not an easy one.
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

Annika

Post by Annika » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:02 pm

Sootyzilla wrote:I've had a soft spot for things Finnish ever since I had a massive crush on a Finnish girl when I was about 19. I even tried to learn the language, but as anyone knows who's ever encountered it, it's not an easy one.
everyone I have talked to, who have tried to learn it says its hard. so many consonants, long words and well, the grammar in general. Im glad my parents taught me as a kid..

Martijn
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall

Post by Martijn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:13 am

I have been to Finland twice. First in 2002, when I spent two nigths in Helsinki and did all the touristy things. And I slept in the Olympic stadium exactly 50 years after the 2012 Summer Olympics. I went back in 2004, when I spent a night with three-fourth of Ultrasport, exactly at the moment when I thought of them as the Greatest Band on Earth, so that was even cooler. I saw a bit of the country too (well, I took a train to Joensuu, which I had randomly picked from the guide book, spent a night there, took a train back to Helsinki and then a night train op north, to Sweden.) I really liked the country.

What is wrong with their immigration policy? Or, more accurately probably, for I trust you that it is bad (but then, whose country's isn't?): what is it like?

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:26 am

Martijn wrote:And I slept in the Olympic stadium exactly 50 years after the 2012 Summer Olympics.
I can see why you emphasized that. It's pretty impressive.

Martijn
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall

Post by Martijn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:29 am

Ahem. The 1952 ones, that should have been, obviously. Exactly ten years before the 2012 Olympics too, but that's slightly less interesting.

meepmeep
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sanglot/

Post by meepmeep » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:40 am

There are loads of Finnish things I like when thinking about it for a while. The obvious ones include fantastic design such as Marimekko and Iittala. They make my life more beautiful. And the books about the moomins. They're not just children's books, but pieces of art! They were not written in Finnish though, but in Swedish.

And Aki Kaurismäki is a great, but somehow depressing, director. I especially liked Tulitikkutehtaan tyttö/The Girl From the Match Factory and I Hired A Contract Killer. The latter is about a man (Jean-Pierre Léaud) leading a very depressing life which makes him try to kill himself. (Un?)fortunately he can't even do that properly, so he hires a contract killer. He then meets a woman and decides that he actually does want to live, but the contract killer is after him... It also features Joe Strummer in a cameo!

I've actually not been to Finland. I just haven't been too keen on going. It may have something to do with this feeling I get, that Finland is dark and gloomy and depressing (blame Kaurismäki) and full of pine trees (I have a pine tree phobia). But I bet that it really is nice and I should get the ferry over there someday (if I get over my ferry/general boat and sea phobia)!
beepbeep

let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by let it ride » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:51 am

But... Sweden is full of pine trees!

My stepmum is Finnish, so I have gone to Helsinki a couple of times. I loooove the temple church, I used to say that I wanted to get married there just because it is so damn pretty, but I am content with visiting now and again instead. But look at it, it is just so damn gorgeous. I'm not religious but the place has a really beautiful, peaceful feeling to it, it makes me want to sit in there and think.

My experience of Helsinki has been:
-Great cake at Stockman's (?? The big department store anyway)
-Kiasma, the contemporary art museum, is amazing. I'm very, very happy spending a day in there.
-Pretty, weirdly 50s feel to everything, very small. Like a model city or something.
-Squirrels (we went to see the house where my stepmum grew up and there were tons of squirrels and it was really pretty, and again very 50s!)
- No indie kids visible for me, but plenty of punky people. I was 14 at the time though.

Although the funniest was when my dad, my stepmum and her daughter all went to her old school. I was walking alone for a moment and some principal or teacher walked past, looking at me and said "Moi" and I went "Moi" back, haha. That, "Liha", "mina rakastan sinua" etc. is what I know, but he was content with just a moi. It still makes me laugh to think that he thought I was a new student or something.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

Annika

Post by Annika » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:14 pm

What is wrong with their immigration policy? Or, more accurately probably, for I trust you that it is bad (but then, whose country's isn't?): what is it like?[/quote]

I bet some people would disagree with me, but I think Finland has had a far too restrictive immigration-policy in comparison to the other nordic countries. You dont really "see" any non-finnish people outside of the bigger cities. I think the number of refugees that were allowed to come to Finland was like less than a tenth of the swedish quota. I dont know what reasons lie behind this, I bet its more complicated than it appears to be, but still..

Annika

Post by Annika » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:27 pm

I agree with you MeepMeep, the Moomin-artwork is really nice. So different from typical, hysterical childrens cartoons on tv.
KULTUR-14s04-mumin1_225608w.jpg
When I think of Finland, I wouldnt necessarily go as far as gloomy, but yeah, theres definately something melancholy about Finland. Maybe this is banal, but like, when people go out dancing in Finland (and with people, I mean adults, older people, not the club-kids) they tango and listen to the same kind of melancholy music you´d find in a Kaurismäki-film, whereas in Sweden, the danceband-culture dominates this scene. And swedish danceband-music..lets not even go there!
I guess finnish people are a bit more low key, not that intense. Sometimes, maybe a bit too stone-faced, even.

meepmeep

Post by meepmeep » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:34 pm

I love the moomin artwork and have already decided that when I have a child I will paint one of the walls in the child's bedroom exactly like a page out of one of the moomin books (like a big drawing). I don't know if this is bizarre or not though, haha.

I should go to Finland just to visit the moominland theme park, and also to go to the glass/china factory outlet shops and buy cheaper stuff.
beepbeep

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:35 pm

I suppose if you live somewhere where it's only light for two or three hours a day in the winter, you have a right to be melancholy.
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

Annika

Post by Annika » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:53 pm

..but helsinki and stockholm are almost on the same latitude, arent they? so, swedes in stockholm and finns in helsinki should be equally unexposed to sunlight/depressed. but are they? maybe in different ways?
Up north though, at the border, I´d say were about the same.

meepmeep

Post by meepmeep » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:57 pm

I think this thing about darkness or the lack of sunlight is just a myth. It's not so dark as people may think. Sure, if you live really far up north you actually have days in the winter when the sun doesn't even bother coming up, but the on the other hand you've got days in the summer when it doesn't go down. And it is as dark in, for instance, Sweden as in Finland.
beepbeep

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:51 pm

Yeah this darkness thing might affect you a bit, but not to the point of depression for an entire population or anything.

And the officially darkest months can be super bright if there is snow, so maybe the hysterical reflected light off the snow that makes it insanely bright should weigh up against the increased hours of darkness, with that logic?
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

himhymn

Post by himhymn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:31 am

Yeah, I'm totally going to Tampere in the near future. I must have a sauna whilst I am there.
Kittos for this thread by the way.
it's fun to sell your soul today; buy the record and press play!

madcat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/hullukissa

Post by madcat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:16 am

I'm surprised it has taken me this long to find this thread, but oh yes, I loooove Finland. Aki Kaurismäki is my favourite director working today; Finnish tango music from the 40s--Olavi Virta, Eino Grön, Harmony Sisters--is heartbreakingly awesome; more recently, Fonal Records (TV-Resistori, Paavoharju, Risto) is totally the craziest, bestest indie label. Other Finnish stuff I love: people riding bikes all through the long dark winter; the importance of having sisu; forests and marshes and wild berries; saunas; ski-jumping; the best xylitol candies; Karhu and Lapin Kulta beer; and for me personally, one Finn in particular (the s.o.).

I heart Suomi. So much so that I'm srsly considering leaving the filmmaking backwater of Los Angeles for the abundant cinematic opportunities of Helsinki.

mae

Post by mae » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:42 am

meepmeep wrote:
I should go to Finland just to visit the moominland theme park, and also to go to the glass/china factory outlet shops and buy cheaper stuff.

you really should! alec and i went and it was great. in fact that holiday: helsinki, moominland and tallinn, is the best holiday i've ever had. we had a sauna in our hotel room. in our hotel room! and i really loved the design museum, too. you can see some moominland photos here. yes, that holiday has it's own flickr.