España

roundbitsofplastic

Re: España

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:33 pm

I've never seen so man 'Irish' bars as I saw in Barcelona.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

JamieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by JamieC » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:26 pm

so i'm off to barcelona on thursday. currently thinking of ways i can trick my girlfriend into going to anarcho-syndicalist union offices. any recommendations peeps. looked at the HDIF indie travel guide but not sure how up to date that is.

also every single thing i've read on barcelona just screams PICK POCKETS at me, and now i'm shitting it a bit. it'll be alright on the night, right?
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

plath

Post by plath » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:25 pm

JamieC wrote:anarcho-syndicalist union offices
It's actually a good moment for that. You can join one of the many demonstrations/protests/strikes that we're having lately. I'm on strike tomorrow too (though I'm not in Barcelona).
A D A D Em7 Fdim D7/F#

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 pm

JamieC wrote:also every single thing i've read on barcelona just screams PICK POCKETS at me, and now i'm shitting it a bit. it'll be alright on the night, right?
Oh yea, some guy blatantly tried to pick-pocket me in Barcelona. Actually there was 3 of them. They were fucking MASSIVE and looked like German bikers rather than street urchins. It was a bit weird cos my friend sort of squared up to them but they just stood their and stared at us.

But yea, I'm sure you'll be fine :-)

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:54 pm

From what I've heard you want lynsosaurus on your side when dealing with Barcelona pickpocketers! I think you mostly just have to be sensible though - don't leave anything where it'll be easily accesible to others. Didn't have any problems when I was there earlier in the year.

Your Funny Uncle

Post by Your Funny Uncle » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:24 pm

We were extra-careful all the time we were in Barcelona in 2005 and then my wife got her wallet/purse thingy stolen on the train to the airport. It was packed and the thief pretended to try to get out at the wrong side at the penultimate stop and bumped into her. We only took the train because we wanted a change from the bus ride in... Luckily it only contained about 15 Euros and we cancelled the cards from the airport so that's all they got.

bobbydigital
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by bobbydigital » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:21 am

I was super cautious when I spent a month in the Iberian peninsula. You know what they say about not keeping all your eggs in one basket. I had a money belt, a "decoy" wallet with 20 euros and one of those fake credit cards ( you get in those letters in the post from credit card companies saying that you're pre-approved) in my front pants pocket, a main wallet in one of the inside pockets of my Levis jacket, and backup money in my shoe. I wasn't pickpocketed/mugged , but I did come across people who were.

For me I guess it helped that I was always trying to be aware of my surroundings and aware of the common types of tricks used by pickpockets/robbers (dressing up like tourists with maps in their hand, group distractions like starting a fight, etc)

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by lynsosaurus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 pm

islandhopper wrote:From what I've heard you want lynsosaurus on your side when dealing with Barcelona pickpocketers! I think you mostly just have to be sensible though - don't leave anything where it'll be easily accesible to others. Didn't have any problems when I was there earlier in the year.
well, i don't like to brag... i had my wallet and passport stolen while i was making a phonecall from a kiosk, mainly because i was a bit daft and when someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to borrow a lighter i responded. i managed to get my stuff back via a combination of chasing, shrieking, and throwing a litre bottle of water at their heads. other than that, and being harassed a bit by guys in el raval, i had no problems in barcelona at all. like everyone says, being sensible helps - i was huddled around a phone kiosk counting out my coins to use the phone, so i was a pretty easy target.

i haven't been to barcelona for a few years, so i don't know if my recommendations would be up to much. let us know what you find while you are there though!

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:37 pm

lynsosaurus wrote:
islandhopper wrote:From what I've heard you want lynsosaurus on your side when dealing with Barcelona pickpocketers! I think you mostly just have to be sensible though - don't leave anything where it'll be easily accesible to others. Didn't have any problems when I was there earlier in the year.
well, i don't like to brag... i had my wallet and passport stolen while i was making a phonecall from a kiosk, mainly because i was a bit daft and when someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to borrow a lighter i responded. i managed to get my stuff back via a combination of chasing, shrieking, and throwing a litre bottle of water at their heads!
This is *awesome*! Go Lynsey!

When we were in Granada, Miguel would often tell me to watch my bag, hold it to me while walking through busier parts of the centre. Jeez, I thought, where are we?! Thankfully nothing happened. I really didn't like feeling paranoid, though he told me it couldn't compare to the pickpockets of Barcelona!

I completely loved my first trip to Spain - Granada, Alhama (a small village in the mountains), Almeria and San Jose (a small beachside village). I guess what I struggled with most was being vegetarian. We mostly ate at home but if we were out, I was usually completely out of luck in these small towns where it was traditional Spanish food only. So salads, cheese and bread was the order of the day, every day and all day, which I like but it doesn't constitute a day's nutrition for me! I also didn't like being the token weirdo vegetarian while everyone else inhaled jamon and I had to wait for my strange dish that only I ate while everyone shared and passed around plates. Though one of Miguel's uncles, a butcher, said to him that we could come round his house one night and he'd make something nice for me. Bless him, I nearly had a tear rolling down my cheek at the offer.
There's more than one use for every part

moopind
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Finkublubou

Post by moopind » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:37 pm

What shouldn't I miss if I'm in Madrid for 3 days? Where should I go in the evening?
Daniel & Norbert now on Twitter - @Dentressangular

Bandcamp also? Click me.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:58 pm

moopind wrote:What shouldn't I miss if I'm in Madrid for 3 days? Where should I go in the evening?
Oops.

what did you do then? I'd've sent you to a place but it seems a bit pointless now, 'specially as I never found out what it was called.

Oh, that reminds me, I;d better check my annual leave while I'm in the office. I'm considering Madrid in a few months..

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

moopind
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Finkublubou

Post by moopind » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:58 pm

roundbitsofplastic wrote:
moopind wrote:What shouldn't I miss if I'm in Madrid for 3 days? Where should I go in the evening?
Oops.

what did you do then? I'd've sent you to a place but it seems a bit pointless now, 'specially as I never found out what it was called.

Oh, that reminds me, I;d better check my annual leave while I'm in the office. I'm considering Madrid in a few months..
Ooh, we covered quite a lot. And missed quite a lot (it was only 3 days).
Daniel & Norbert now on Twitter - @Dentressangular

Bandcamp also? Click me.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Is anything interesting likely to be happening in Madrid over Xmas? I'm thinking about spending money I don't have on a week there over Xmas :-D

EDIT
A friend of mine wants to come too, so it's looking increasingly likely that I will be there from about 24th-30th!

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip