having a weird name and booking a ticket

cupcake_love
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/allishollow

having a weird name and booking a ticket

Post by cupcake_love » Tue Jan 26, 2010 22:06

ugh! i have been sitting now for over an hour trying to book an international ticket from delta.com, but since my name has an ö in it (on my passport as well as on my visa.), it wouldn't let me!

i tried to explain the problem with their chat service, but they advized me to call their service center, which i did. i felt like a complete moron explaning that i didn't know whether to write "o" or "oe", because the customer service lady didn't seem to understand it. she put me on hold foreeeever, and after forever the only reply i got was to "translate my name to english". but how do i do that?
it just brings me back to my initial question - is ö translated to oe or just o? does anyone know? i would really hate to type the wrong thing and lose 20 grand. sigh.
dont fall in love if you want to die in peace

plath

Re: having a weird name and booking a ticket

Post by plath » Tue Jan 26, 2010 22:20

Oh my! I'm sorry I have no idea how to solve that but it's a pain. I've heard about that before with the Spanish Ñ but in the end I don't know how they sorted it out and the problem I see is that you're flying to the US which can be much more stricter in that sense. Maybe a fellow Swede can tell you something? oe is how is written most of the times, but what if they are picky and consider is not the same name? Good luck with that and let us know what happens! I bought my ticket for NY yesterday and though I don't have that problem, I was already getting a bit paranoid as to what address should I use for the ESTA or for booking stuff. Sometimes it depends on the billing address if you're paying by credit card but I'm using both, so whatever. I find that flying outside the EU is scary.
A D A D Em7 Fdim D7/F#

andyroo
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by andyroo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 22:53

Type it as an o.

Ramona has the same problem because one of her family names has an ü. When I'm booking something online for us I just type it as a u, and we've never had any subsequent problems.

Although it does mean the electronic check-in machines at Dublin airport can't read her passport, so we always have to join the slow queue.
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

yubo

Post by yubo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:42

my canadian friends have just named their new baby Zöe. I don't know why they wanted to use the ö. It's not very Canadian. And now the poor girl is going to have to wait in the slow line for the rest of her life!
Butt.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:49

My friend's name is Doré and he just sticks to 'dore' for that sort of thing. I shouldn't worry about it.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

carney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/drcarney

Post by carney » Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:04

yubo wrote:my canadian friends have just named their new baby Zöe. I don't know why they wanted to use the ö. It's not very Canadian. And now the poor girl is going to have to wait in the slow line for the rest of her life!
Do they realise that the name is spelt Zoë? Zöe would be pronounced "Zo".

cupcake_love
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/allishollow

Post by cupcake_love » Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:42

carney wrote:
yubo wrote:my canadian friends have just named their new baby Zöe. I don't know why they wanted to use the ö. It's not very Canadian. And now the poor girl is going to have to wait in the slow line for the rest of her life!
what i was thinking!

and hurrah, i booked my tickets now, i'm soooo happy! i asked my workmates and they were kind of 50/50 on it, so i decided to call the american embassy (thanks marianthi!) and they informed me that there actually an international version of my name in my barcode in my passport. can't believe i didn't see that before! now i will never forget that it's there.

oh, and it's oe :)
dont fall in love if you want to die in peace

yubo

Post by yubo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 17:18

carney wrote:

haha. I meant Zoë. But I just told someone else it was above the o too and they just addressed the welcome to the world baby gift to Zo. Oops.
Butt.

Klove

Post by Klove » Thu Oct 28, 2010 13:21

andyroo wrote:Although it does mean the electronic check-in machines at Dublin airport can't read her passport, so we always have to join the slow queue.
do you not just check in at the machines using the booking number?

anyway, your solution (writing o instead o-umlaut) is the thing to do. See also names with apostrophes in them.

andyroo
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by andyroo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 13:52

Klove wrote:
andyroo wrote:Although it does mean the electronic check-in machines at Dublin airport can't read her passport, so we always have to join the slow queue.
do you not just check in at the machines using the booking number?
Typing in the code brings up the booking, but then you have to swipe the passports anyway. Don't know if that's the case for all airlines but it is for Aer Fungus.
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round