Erasmus University

work, studying, science, nature
cave in

Erasmus University

Post by cave in » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:17 pm

So, I want to apply for a Master's program in sociology of media or something similar, and see that Erasmus University has something.

The school stands out to me because Luce Irigaray is a graduate, but appears to be the only notable graduate I know. And the brochure for the program is rather sparse.

Does anyone know anything about this school? Being from New York, I figure I'm more likely to find responses on this board than among my friends...

Martijn
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall

Re: Erasmus University

Post by Martijn » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:30 pm

The university did not get recognized as such until the 1970s, so the number of famous graduates is relativaly small. But The Netherlands don't have an Ivy League or an Oxbridge: all universities are considered equally good and which one you attended doesn't make any difference on your CV; so the university itself is as good as any other in the country (and I believe the international reputation of Dutch universities is quite good). Of course, research in a particular area might be better in certain places, or they might have better teachers, but I wouldn't be able to say if that's the case for the program you want to do. I know some people who studied there, or work(ed) there, and they all had a good time. I am biased towards Rotterdam, where I was born and grew up relatively close to, but I think it's a really interesting city; much more 'real' than Amsterdam (which is only an hour by train anyway). The only thing is that the university offers relatively few courses, most of which are in the areas of economy and medicine, so you won't get as broad a range of students as you would get in other places.