General griping about musician stuff

musicians, writers, promoters unite
humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

General griping about musician stuff

Post by humblebee » Mon Aug 22, 2016 22:58

So you get a nudge from a friend saying: hey look, Outlines festival is inviting applications to play, you should do it.

And you think: yeah, I'm trying to play more things that I don't normally play, why not apply and see what happens.

Except then the only way to apply is through this thing called Gigmit, which is a website for musicians where you create an account and tell it the minimum you want paying for a gig and it matches you up with promoters.

So you think: OK, I might not believe this Gigmit thing will ever actually help me in any way, but I'll sign up to the free version of Gigmit just to apply for Outlines festival, if that's the only way to do it.

And once you create an account you discover that the one-month free trial of the premium version of Gigmit is not optional, and it's one of those free trials which automatically turns into a paid subscription if you don't stop it, and so you have to hand over your credit card details even if you just want to use the free version of the service, because you can't even access the free version without doing the free trial of the premium version.

And then you think: no, actually, fuck this. And: yay, rock and roll.

noLooking

Re: General griping about musician stuff

Post by noLooking » Tue Aug 23, 2016 09:32

You should get yourself a manager. Colonel Tom would never have stood for it : )

carney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/drcarney

Re: General griping about musician stuff

Post by carney » Tue Aug 23, 2016 14:06

Say no to pay-to-apply-to-play.