Scared to Dance fanzine!

promote, discuss, start your fanzine here!
String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Scared to Dance fanzine!

Post by String Bean Jen » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:23 pm

I wanted to post something about this here in case people don't look in London indiepop gig/club threads. Also, there has been a dearth lately in paper zines and we need MORE! Well, here's one! I hope he doesn't mind me posting about it (and please chime in!) but Paul of Scared to Dance has commissioned a bunch of people to contribute to his club's first fanzine. He wrote about it recently on the club's thread (quoted below).

I guess I'm also posting about it because I wrote something for it that I'm really proud of. The zine will be available at the club on Saturday, July 26 and then after I assume he'll have a way to order it on their web site after the night. Maybe even Caramel can get some copies in?
Paul wrote:Hello,

A few people have sent me messages asking when they can get our fanzine so I thought I'd sent out a message. I’m just putting the finishing touches to it today. Here’s the full rundown of what we’ve got for you lucky people.

Our leading interview with Indietracks headliners The Pains of Being Pure at Heart! Plus interviews with more bands playing the festival including this years big breakthrough Allo Darlin’, Standard Fare, Betty and the Werewolves and a festival preview.

A four track EP from The Understudies and an exclusive interview with Darren Hayman about his new album Essex Arms. Live reviews from Drowned in Sound on Slow Club plus Sleigh Bells, Teenagersintokyo and Speakowire.

Best new bands from blogger extraordinaire Brilldream. Profile pages from My Secret World – The Story of Sarah Records, Odd Box Records, Twee Grrrls Club and Hissing at Swans. AND indie pop adventures from Colour Me Pop and a tribute to Julian Barnes.

The first chance to get your hands on the fanzine is at our next night when we’ve got Pocketbooks guest DJing on Saturday 26th June. It’s free to get in before 10pm and just £3 after at King’s Cross Social Club
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 380&ref=ts

Hopefully see you there!

Paul x
There's more than one use for every part

Paul

Re: Scared to Dance fanzine!

Post by Paul » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for posting this Jen!

Yes, you can buy it on the night and then at Indietracks. Caramel will also be stocking it and you can order them directly from me at admin@scaredtodance.co.uk

Got the cover designed yesterday and it looks amazing. I'm really looking forward to putting it out!

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:15 pm

Here's a sneaky peak...

Paul

!

Post by Paul » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:20 am

A reminder that these will be on sale at the Blanche Hudson Weekend gig at the Wilmington Arms tonight and at HDIF Presents with Tender Trap on Thursday.

I'll be selling them at the merch stall at Indietracks on Saturday and Sunday. Not sure what shifts I'll be doing so if you see me just shout and I'll probably have a few on me. There's only a few left and there won't be another print run. So when they're gone, they're gone!

Sasha

Post by Sasha » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Is there anyway you can send them to Salt Lake City?

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:34 pm

Sasha wrote:Is there anyway you can send them to Salt Lake City?
I've sent them to Florida and Tokyo so shouldn't be a problem! Send me your address and how many you'd like via a private message.

Sasha

Post by Sasha » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Paul wrote:
Sasha wrote:Is there anyway you can send them to Salt Lake City?
I've sent them to Florida and Tokyo so shouldn't be a problem! Send me your address and how many you'd like via a private message.
Awesome, how much does it cost per issue?

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:32 pm

The summer fanzine has now completely sold out. Thanks to all of you who bought a copy!

I’m in the process of working on our autumn edition which will feature interviews with Cats On Fire, Tender Trap, The Specific Heats, Shrag, Pocketbooks, Moustache of Insanity and The Blanche Hudson Weekend. Including an Odd Box Records showcase EP, Fortuna Pop!, Big Pink Cake, Dandelion Radio and much more.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:18 pm

A quick bump for this.

The fanzine is going to be available at our next night on Saturday 25th September. There's a wee bit more about it at http://www.anorakforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=20

Be sure to get in quick as they sold out incredibly quickly last time! I'm taking orders so please email admin@scaredtodance.co.uk

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:58 pm

I put all of the band interviews from our Summer fanzine available on our website a couple of weeks ago. Head over to http://www.scaredtodance.co.uk to read them.

The Autumn edition is 99% complete, artwork coming soon!

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Paul wrote:The Autumn edition is 99% complete, artwork coming soon!
Can't wait to see it.

I've also made all the Odd Box CDs. I am just waiting on the paper to arrive so I can print the sleeves.
not really here

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Here's a preview of the new fanzine, I hope you all like it. The first chance to get your hands on a copy is at Scared To Dance this Saturday at King's Cross Social Club.

If you can't make it to the night simply drop me an email at admin@scaredtodance.co.uk to order a copy. Hopefully see you on Saturday!

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:11 pm

They'll be a few of these bad boys on sale at our next night on Saturday 30th October. Event details at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 133&ref=mf

alongwaltz
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/

Post by alongwaltz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:59 pm

It's quite good.

While I knew all the names I didn't actively listen to any of the bands interviewed yet I did read all the interviews and was interested anyway.

And I'm definitely glad I checked out Pocketbooks again. I don't know why I wasn't interested the first few times I checked out their stuff over the years but this time I'm digging them.

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:38 am

The last few of these will be on sale on Saturday. Only 14 copies left so be quick!

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:25 pm

The Autumn fanzine has now completely sold out!

Winter edition coming soon featuring interviews with The Vaselines, Edwyn Collins, Ballboy, Northern Portrait, MJ Hibbett & the Validators and Onward Chariots. Plus a free Christmastime, Approxtimately CD from WIAIWYA!

alongwaltz
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/

Post by alongwaltz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Paul wrote:The Autumn fanzine has now completely sold out!
We've got two left. I can mark up the price now and label them as "rare collector's items", right?

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:17 pm

alongwaltz wrote:
Paul wrote:The Autumn fanzine has now completely sold out!
We've got two left. I can mark up the price now and label them as "rare collector's items", right?
You can now!

Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:00 pm

I’m thrilled to announce that you can order our Winter fanzine from today. In our exclusive lead interview with The Vaselines we talk to them about Sex with an X, Kurt Cobain and their third album. We chat to the legendary Edwyn Collins who tells us about the recent Orange Juice re-issues and his influence on other musicians. We’ve got interviews with Ballboy, Northern Portrait, MJ Hibbett & the Validators and Onward Chariots too.

If that wasn’t enough Brilldream reviews the Big Pink Cake Weekender and we catch up with How Does It Feel To Be Loved?, WeePOP! and dirtyconverse DISCO.

Plus we’re giving away Christmastime, Approximately from Where It’s At Is Where You Are. Here’s what’s on the album:

1. The Social Interaction Foundation (AKA Help Stamp Out Loneliness) – Just Like Xmas (In Cottonopolis)
2. The Werewandas – I’ve Got a Great Big Christmas Tree
3. Betty and the Werewolves – Jon’s Christmas Makeup
4. Eux Autres – Teenage Christmas
5. Jeff Mellin – Every Year
6. The Understudies – Midnight Mass
7. Gregory Webster – Winter
8. Howard Hughes & David Tattersall – There in Bristol After Christmas
9. World of Fox – Christmas Isthmus
10. The Hillfields – Spirit of the Season
11. Sool – Sool Yule Medley
12. The Birthday Girl vs Alexander’s Festival Hall – Hey Santa
13. The Ei8ht – Stay Another Day
14. Action Biker – Vinden Susar i Advent
15. Hillary and the Democrats – I Want an Alien For Christmas
16. Weisstronauts – Jingle Bells
17. DJ Downfall – 2000 Miles (Meek Mix)
18. Hexicon – See That Day
19. The Vatican Cellars – Christmas Island
20. Hong Kong In The 60s – Walking in the Air

If you would like to order a copy it costs £2 plus P&P. Please email me at admin@scaredtodance.co.uk to order.

http://www.scaredtodance.co.uk/fanzines

We'll also be selling it at our next night on Saturday 29th January -
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=115757538494853

Paul

Post by Paul » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:34 am

I'll be sending out the next batch of these tomorrow if anyone wants theirs by the weekend.