Dear Anorak,The Isle Of Skye

we don't know but perhaps a fellow anorak will - ask them here
helen

Dear Anorak,The Isle Of Skye

Post by helen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 20:49

I have been thinking of moving to Skye,will be going up for a look around in a couple of months.Anyone been,or better still,live there.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Re: Dear Anorak,The Isle Of Skye

Post by islandhopper » Wed Mar 19, 2008 21:00

Funny you should ask! Lived there from the age of 10 months until last July apart from uni and 6 months work in Glasgow. My parents still live there and I'd still consider it home.
That would probably make me a good person for answering questions then! Ask away.

helen

Post by helen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 21:15

oh great,well,i was looking around Portree,i need a decent Primary School for my daughter.Basically whats it like living there.It looks awesome,quiet and wild.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Wed Mar 19, 2008 21:41

helen wrote:oh great,well,i was looking around Portree,i need a decent Primary School for my daughter.Basically whats it like living there.It looks awesome,quiet and wild.
As far as I'm aware there's a good standard of teaching across all primary schools on the island. They tend to be small, friendly and have small class sizes so you get all the benefits that go with that. Portree Primary is by far the biggest on the island though, so what I've said wouldn't hold quite as true. I've had occasion to be there a few times in the past few years though and there's always seemed to be a good atmosphere. You'd also have the option of putting your daughter into a Gaelic Medium Unit if you so desired (I'll save the articles on the benefit of a bilingual education for another time) - though obviously that would be easier or harder to adapt to depending on her age.

I'd say that Skye in general is a great place to live and especially to raise kids. When I was growing up it of course seemed incredibly boring at times with it's almost complete lack of a night-life outside of pubs but I'm quite sure you're not going expecting to see West End musicals (or indiepop gigs!)
It is about as beautiful a place as there is in the world though (I can see that now I'm older!) and it's not entirely culturally bereft.

Just let me know if you have any more questions.