questions about feet

we don't know but perhaps a fellow anorak will - ask them here
knibbles
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: questions about feet

Post by knibbles » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:59 pm

linus wrote:I'm going at my feet with a stanley knife and a hammer just so I can get a good seeing to by phalange the phoot phixing pherret who probably listens to phish the phucking hippie

can I raise a sensitive foot problem on behalf of a friend?

hard skin on your heels, or rather this friend's heels, how should this friend best treat this most cheesey of afflictions? is it a do it this friend's self home project or should they see somebody in a parlour with the necessary implements and the required certification?
Snorkachu and squirrelboutique are on to something. I would recommend getting a nice foot file. Body shop do a lovely one with a nice wooden handle and what looks like sand paper on the end. Give them a good rub over once or twice a week, after a bath or shower is easiest, and use a moisturising cream like E45 daily. If the heels really do have a lot of hard skin on them and are perhaps cracking a bit, the best cream I have come across is called Flexitol Australian Heel Balm, they sell it at most big chemists or supermarkets. Although you need to use it every day if you can, and leave it in to soak for a fair while before walking around again. I always suggest to people that if you are a keen follower of soaps then they put it on before Eastenders starts and then put your feet up and then by the time Peggy has finished slapping Pat or Bianca's finished shouting at Ricky or whatever it is they do, your feet will be all soft and lovely and ready to dance the night away.

Oooh, longwalkhomathon, if your feet are still playing up in July when you come over, bring your inserts in and I will cast a beady eye over them for you. And remember, always do as Phalange the Fat Ferret says. He knows where it's at or something.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

linus

Post by linus » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:42 pm

you should have ended that post with 'right, kids?' and a double thumbs up

I'll pass this advice on to this friend with the hard skin

'thank you', says that friend, 'I'll take more care in future'

good foot care is after all good manners

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:53 pm

knibbles wrote:Oooh, longwalkhomathon, if your feet are still playing up in July when you come over, bring your inserts in and I will cast a beady eye over them for you. And remember, always do as Phalange the Fat Ferret says. He knows where it's at or something.
Hand over heart, I will listen to Phlanange because I know he will bite my ankles if I don't. I will never call him a "sheep" again because he weed on my oppressive carpet for that.

I was so motivated by your helpful diagram that I called a orthodics-maker dude, whose name I've been carrying around on a rumpled piece of paper in my coat pocket for at least a year, to make an appt. for new insoles. The ones I have are squished and clearly doing jack shit for me. *Phalange nods in agreement*

hayleygerms
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/andyandhayley

Post by hayleygerms » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:09 pm

Everytime someone takes Phalange's advice, he has a lovely big ferretgasm.
you buried my son under a knicker factory

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:55 pm

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:44 am

This is the best thread ever.

hayleygerms
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/andyandhayley

Post by hayleygerms » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:43 am

Not only is it the best thread ever, it's leg-endary. Guffaw! I just hope we don't get a load of pervo foot fetishists registering now.

Knib-Knobs, have you ever had a patient pretend to have ill feet just so that they can have a young lady fondle their feet and have you ever been propositioned by a foot fetishist?
you buried my son under a knicker factory

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:51 am

She's had someone pretend to be her boyfriend just so that can happen.

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:07 pm

a layer of chips wrote:She's had someone pretend to be her boyfriend just so that can happen.
Awwww, that's love.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm off to a (supposedly) super-duper foot dude right now to be fitted for new orthotics!

Thank you for inspiring me, Dr. Knibbles (and Phalange, of course!)

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue May 20, 2008 3:42 am

Phalange!

¿Entiende español?

I only ask because I'm wondering about this foot thing, and the only version I could find of the commercial is in Spanish.

This thing seems pretty gross, but would it work? The bin thing full of them at the pharmacy tempts me every time I go in there.

Also, my feet are nowhere near as rough as the people in the commercial, who have muy rough feet.

knibbles

Post by knibbles » Tue May 20, 2008 8:02 am

Ah, the Ped Egg. Lovely piece of engineering. Yes, Squirrel Bootyluv, the Ped Egg will work fairly well, it's sort of like a cheese grater, but instead of grating cheese with it you grate your feet off with it. The only problem with them is that it is possible to be overzealous with them and make your feet sore by taking too much skin off, but if you promise on Phalange's life that you won't get carried away whilst using it, then I give you my blessing to get one. You might want to use in conjunction with a moisturizing cream each day. I'd only recommend one if you have quite a lot of hard skin, otherwise you might be best off with just a sandpaper type foot file or a pumice stone, which you can't possibly injure yourself with, unless you eat the pumice stone and use the sandpaper file on your eyes or something.

Sylvie

Post by Sylvie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:05 pm

I didn't realise there was a thread all about foot problems when I was moaning about my toenail last year, but I thought I'd use to ask for advice about my current foot woes.

There are areas of hard skin and white bits on my feet that get quite painful after walking around, especially in cold weather. I think I've got Raynaud's syndrome and have heard that can contribute towards corns and calluses (urgh!) It feels weird when my feet go cold & numb, then a bit sore during the red & hot phase that follows. Anyway, I guess my question is, should I try to remove this dead skin and stuff myself or ask to see the podiatrist?

I think I need to get some thermal tights & socks and some boots that have better insulation and cushioning on the sole.
Just be nice to me.

knibbles

Post by knibbles » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Sylvie wrote:I didn't realise there was a thread all about foot problems when I was moaning about my toenail last year, but I thought I'd use to ask for advice about my current foot woes.

There are areas of hard skin and white bits on my feet that get quite painful after walking around, especially in cold weather. I think I've got Raynaud's syndrome and have heard that can contribute towards corns and calluses (urgh!) It feels weird when my feet go cold & numb, then a bit sore during the red & hot phase that follows. Anyway, I guess my question is, should I try to remove this dead skin and stuff myself or ask to see the podiatrist?

I think I need to get some thermal tights & socks and some boots that have better insulation and cushioning on the sole.
Hello!

You are deffo right about your shoes. If it's not too weird, PM me a photo of your feet and I'll tell you if it is corns or something else. You can ask for referral to a podiatrist, or refer yourself in certain areas. Each area has different referral criteria so whether you would be eligible or not would depend on your local guidelines. If you've got corns or callus and want to treat yourself, you will need a big file and some Flexitol heel balm. It's difficult to get corns out yourself, and usually requires a scalpel which you can't really do yourself. I would avoid corn removal plasters/liquid especially if you think you have Raynaud's.

Did your toenail sort itself out in the end? It sounded nasty.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:35 pm

For the last few days the arch of my foot has been sore once I get home and take my shoes off. What's all that about then?

knibbles

Post by knibbles » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:14 pm

islandhopper wrote:For the last few days the arch of my foot has been sore once I get home and take my shoes off. What's all that about then?

You've recently moved house, as you may or may not already know. Have you gone from carpetted to wooden floors? That can do it.

What sort of shoes have you been wearing, Chris? Are they flat inside or do they have an arch filler?

islandhopper

Post by islandhopper » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:28 pm

knibbles wrote:
islandhopper wrote:For the last few days the arch of my foot has been sore once I get home and take my shoes off. What's all that about then?

You've recently moved house, as you may or may not already know. Have you gone from carpetted to wooden floors? That can do it.

What sort of shoes have you been wearing, Chris? Are they flat inside or do they have an arch filler?
Check out Sherlock Knibbles! I have gone from mostly carpeted and laminate, to proper wooden floors throughout. My shoes are flat. What can I do?

knibbles

Post by knibbles » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:40 pm

islandhopper wrote:
Check out Sherlock Knibbles! I have gone from mostly carpeted and laminate, to proper wooden floors throughout. My shoes are flat. What can I do?
You need to move house. Immediately. Don't stop to collect your belongings, this is a foot emergency.

Alternatively, you could ask Father Christmas very nicely for a pair of slippers, and get some insoles with an arch support in them and put them in the slippers, and possibly a pair in your work shoes too. Your feet will get used to the new floors in a couple of months, but slippers + insoles should see you through for a bit. I'll find a link for some decent arch support insoles in a bit and PM you it, duckie.

islandhopper

Post by islandhopper » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:36 pm

knibbles wrote:
islandhopper wrote:
You need to move house. Immediately. Don't stop to collect your belongings, this is a foot emergency.

Alternatively, you could ask Father Christmas very nicely for a pair of slippers, and get some insoles with an arch support in them and put them in the slippers, and possibly a pair in your work shoes too. Your feet will get used to the new floors in a couple of months, but slippers + insoles should see you through for a bit. I'll find a link for some decent arch support insoles in a bit and PM you it, duckie.
Thanks! I have slippers, so I will invest in some insoles.

Sylvie

Post by Sylvie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:28 am

knibbles wrote:You are deffo right about your shoes. If it's not too weird, PM me a photo of your feet and I'll tell you if it is corns or something else. You can ask for referral to a podiatrist, or refer yourself in certain areas. Each area has different referral criteria so whether you would be eligible or not would depend on your local guidelines. If you've got corns or callus and want to treat yourself, you will need a big file and some Flexitol heel balm. It's difficult to get corns out yourself, and usually requires a scalpel which you can't really do yourself. I would avoid corn removal plasters/liquid especially if you think you have Raynaud's.

Did your toenail sort itself out in the end? It sounded nasty.
I think the way it works at my surgery is that you ask for a form at reception and refer yourself to the podiatrist (that's what happened with The Great Toe Disaster of 2011 anyway). I tried filing my feet in the summer, which did help a bit, but didn't completely get rid of them. I'm 99% sure I do have Raynaud's, but just haven't had it diagnosed by a doctor, so it might be worth actually confirming that before I refer myself to the podiatrist. I just hope it is only corns or calluses and nothing worse. It is a bit weird to take photos of my feet, but I will send you some (hopefully you won't go “urrrghhhh!”) Thanks for all your help by the way!

My toenail is almost back to normal now, thankfully. There's still a slight bump in it, but I can wear any shoes I want now and it doesn't cause me any pain or discomfort.
Just be nice to me.