Page 1 of 3

questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 17:22
by lynsosaurus
this is a thread where we can ask knibbles questions about our dodgy feet, or perhaps request some foot news, or anything else foot-related really. i'll start:

what is it called when your foot kind of slouches inwards a little when you take steps? is that called pronating, or is that something else entirely? and what can be done to fix such a thing? i keep getting pains in my shins and i think it might be because i walk funny.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 17:31
by knibbles
lynsosaurus wrote:this is a thread where we can ask knibbles questions about our dodgy feet, or perhaps request some foot news, or anything else foot-related really. i'll start:

what is it called when your foot kind of slouches inwards a little when you take steps? is that called pronating, or is that something else entirely? and what can be done to fix such a thing? i keep getting pains in my shins and i think it might be because i walk funny.
Hello. When you say slouches in, do you mean the arch of the foot lowers and rolls into the ground? Or do you mean inwards as in your toes point in towards the middle of you?

If you mean that your toes point in towards the middle of you, don't worry about it, most people grow out of it by the age of 8. If you mean your arch lowers medially, sort of on the inside, then yes that is pronation, and it's usually quite easy to treat, although it depends what's causing it. You might find that simpe insoles with a rigid arch filler will be enough, and I can sort out getting some of those for you.

Is the pain in your shin right at the back of your leg in the centre or is it on the outside or on the inside of the shin? Depending on where the pain is will help point to what's causing the problem.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:28
by lynsosaurus
knibbles wrote:
lynsosaurus wrote:this is a thread where we can ask knibbles questions about our dodgy feet, or perhaps request some foot news, or anything else foot-related really. i'll start:

what is it called when your foot kind of slouches inwards a little when you take steps? is that called pronating, or is that something else entirely? and what can be done to fix such a thing? i keep getting pains in my shins and i think it might be because i walk funny.
Hello. When you say slouches in, do you mean the arch of the foot lowers and rolls into the ground? Or do you mean inwards as in your toes point in towards the middle of you?

If you mean that your toes point in towards the middle of you, don't worry about it, most people grow out of it by the age of 8. If you mean your arch lowers medially, sort of on the inside, then yes that is pronation, and it's usually quite easy to treat, although it depends what's causing it. You might find that simpe insoles with a rigid arch filler will be enough, and I can sort out getting some of those for you.

Is the pain in your shin right at the back of your leg in the centre or is it on the outside or on the inside of the shin? Depending on where the pain is will help point to what's causing the problem.
ooh, that is very helpful indeed. it sounds like i'm a pronator. i'll try to fill my arches as soon as possible.

the pain in my shin usually only appears when i walk a lot, and is right in the front centre of my leg, right up the bony bit. i'm aware you're not a shin doctor, but perhaps this is foot-related.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:28
by linus
all this refloxology caper... is it true? does it work? or is voudou?

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:30
by squirrelboutique
And what about magnetic shoe insert things? Will they help me do anything?

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:38
by a layer of chips
I wouldn't let knibbles anywhere near my feet. I've seen her with a vegetable knife.

ONCE.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:42
by squirrelboutique
What's with all the shinquerying in the feet thread?

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:43
by a layer of chips
It took me ages to realise what shinquerying actually said.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:45
by squirrelboutique
I just spent about five minutes sitting in my office saying it out loud to myself.

It sounds slightly Celtic.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:47
by a layer of chips
Are you thinking of shinty?

I think shinquerying is where you throw flat pebbles into a lake and see if you can make them bounce. And your feet hurt.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 18:53
by alongwalkhome
squirrelboutique wrote:And what about magnetic shoe insert things? Will they help me do anything?
I can answer this one: they make you fly!

Doctor Knibbles: I pronate and it is causing me a lot of arch pain and bunions. I have inserts, but they don't do a goddamned thing. It's particularly painful when I run* at the gym. The worst of all this is that there are NO CUTE SHOES that are supportive enough in the arch--or are there?? Do you know of any brands w/good arch support that don't look like a 87-year-old lunch lady should be wearing them??


*a very fast waddle

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:27
by knibbles
Bloody hell, who knew so many people had chumpy feet.

Lynsosaurus, are you a size 6 shoe? I'll get some insoles sent up to you.
Snorkachu, the outside of your foot, eh? Well, in which case you are Lynsosaurus's arch nemesis, so to speak, as that makes it sound like you are supinating, the exact opposite of her. Where as Lyns should find some alleviation with off the shelf insoles, you my dear are another kettle of tea, as supination is more tricky to sort out. It could be caused by a number of things, it could be due to an abnormal position of your subtalar joint, or possibly you could have a problem with the alignment of your forefoot in comparison to your rearfoot. I realise none of this makes much sense, but in summary, if the pain becomes worse and is affecting your activities then you will need a custom casted device to put in your shoes to sort it out. However, they will cost about £200 and you will need to see a specialist biomechanical podiatrist to get an appropriate prescription, there really is no easy way to solve a supinatory problem. Ha! Well gutted. Anyway, my advice would be that if you are not in considerable pain to leave well alone and just carry on walking like a squiffy legged bugger.

Alongwalkhome, I may well have some lovely news for you, although it involves self examination, if you will. If the pain is up the back of your calves, then I recommend you do a quick test to see if you have any tension in your gastrocnemius muscle. If you sit down with your legs out stretched striaght, then grab your toes, and pull them towards your body, does it hurt the back of your leg? Or if you can't quite reach your toes with your leg outstretched, try standing on a step facing upwards, then shuffle back a bit so that only the balls of your feet are on the step and your heels are dangling in midair, then push your heels sort of downwards, and see if that hurts the back of your leg. Sorry about the longwinded description, it's easier to demonstrate in real life. Anyway, if you get any pain in the back of your leg when you do that, then let me know and I will give you some stretches to sort that out. It may be that you have an ankle equinous which needs addressing first, because arch supports won't help until you have increased dorsiflexion at the ankle. I have just realised it is almost impossible to talk about foot problems without using lots of ridiculous words.

Sorry that was so boring.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:30
by lynsosaurus
i find all those words quite exciting, myself.

i am indeed a size 6. that is very kind of you. free consultation AND free insoles!

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:34
by knibbles
snorkachu wrote:
P.S. I am interested in foot news, I think. What's new in the world of feet?
Foot news, eh? Well, here is the headlines from March 2008's edition of Podiatry Now, my podiatric journal of choice;

World Foot Awareness Month 2008 takes place in May

HRH the Duchess of Cornwall opens new centre for Clinical Education at University of East London

New paper published to help secure the Allied Heath Professional workforce capacity to achieve the 18 week target.

It's all happening in feet, clearly.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:36
by knibbles
lynsosaurus wrote:i find all those words quite exciting, myself.

i am indeed a size 6. that is very kind of you. free consultation AND free insoles!
I'll get 'em sent in the next couple of weeks. It will go some small way to compensating you for trashing your coffee pot.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:37
by lynsosaurus
ach, it was only a lid. nothing a bit of clingfilm can't fix.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:41
by squirrelboutique
Is it possible that Lynsey's foot trouble could be related to the inordinate amount of time she spends biting large nuts?

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 20:50
by alongwalkhome
knibbles wrote: Alongwalkhome, I may well have some lovely news for you, although it involves self examination, if you will. If the pain is up the back of your calves, then I recommend you do a quick test to see if you have any tension in your gastrocnemius muscle. If you sit down with your legs out stretched striaght, then grab your toes, and pull them towards your body, does it hurt the back of your leg? Or if you can't quite reach your toes with your leg outstretched, try standing on a step facing upwards, then shuffle back a bit so that only the balls of your feet are on the step and your heels are dangling in midair, then push your heels sort of downwards, and see if that hurts the back of your leg. Sorry about the longwinded description, it's easier to demonstrate in real life. Anyway, if you get any pain in the back of your leg when you do that, then let me know and I will give you some stretches to sort that out. It may be that you have an ankle equinous which needs addressing first, because arch supports won't help until you have increased dorsiflexion at the ankle. I have just realised it is almost impossible to talk about foot problems without using lots of ridiculous words.
WOW! I dunno what all you said, but it's fucking well impressive! Um, yes, it does hurt up the back of my leg, Dr. Knibbles. I have very tight calves. All of me is tight--in fact I'm using a microwavable "Bed Buddy" on my shoulders right now at work. I look a complete tit, but they didn't hire me to look good. I get wicked arch cramps/toe cramps at the end of a long day; does this concur with your diagnosis?

I am googling "gastrocnemius" and "ankle equinous" as we speak! Thank you--you rock!!

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 01:03
by Woodbine
alongwalkhome wrote:All of me is tight--in fact I'm using a microwavable "Bed Buddy" on my shoulders right now at work.
Crikey, I didn't realise you yanks were so liberal you could get away with using dildos in the office. Or that alongwalkhome had such erogenous shoulders.

Anyway, Knibbles, I too have a question about feet. So often in life, when we fear we may not do our best at something, particularly something of which we might be fearful or which may be difficult to achieve, we are told to put our 'best foot forward'. But, which is the best foot? If you only have one foot, of course, the decision is made for you.It's easy! But what of us bipods? Endless failures need never have happened to us if we'd only known which our best foot was. Does it vary from person to person? Is it merely an old wives tale and have clinical studies in fact shown that the foot we opt to lead with has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of our lives? I MUST KNOW AND I WILL NEVER WALK AGAIN UNTIL I DO.

Re: questions about feet

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 09:07
by knibbles
Woodbine wrote:
alongwalkhome wrote:All of me is tight--in fact I'm using a microwavable "Bed Buddy" on my shoulders right now at work.
Crikey, I didn't realise you yanks were so liberal you could get away with using dildos in the office. Or that alongwalkhome had such erogenous shoulders.

Anyway, Knibbles, I too have a question about feet. So often in life, when we fear we may not do our best at something, particularly something of which we might be fearful or which may be difficult to achieve, we are told to put our 'best foot forward'. But, which is the best foot? If you only have one foot, of course, the decision is made for you.It's easy! But what of us bipods? Endless failures need never have happened to us if we'd only known which our best foot was. Does it vary from person to person? Is it merely an old wives tale and have clinical studies in fact shown that the foot we opt to lead with has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of our lives? I MUST KNOW AND I WILL NEVER WALK AGAIN UNTIL I DO.
I think you've answered your own question there. The one legged amongst us do indeed have a much easier time of it when it comes to this sort of thing. Amputation does appear to be your best option. I'd recommend a below knee amputation as the prosthesis are a lot more comfortable if you have a knee joint present. Being one footed, you'll also likely qualify for free bus travel, which since yeterday has been expanded to cover throughout the country so it all works out for the best, really. I hear the 555 bus route from Lancaster to Carlisle is particularly breathtaking.


Longwalkhomer! What I will do, I will draw some pictures of the stretches you need to do to sort yourself out, and I'll post them later. As for the cramp, if it is actual proper cramp and not just arch pain, then nope, it's not linked to everything else. It usually happens as you, erm, as you, sort of, erm, get older, and also if you drink more than your recommended 14 units a week and if you smoke. I'd recommend a glass of tonic water each day, as the quinine in it sorts out cramps. If you get the cramp when you're in bed have your tonic water just before you go to bed. I'd also recommend the consumption of bananas as sometimes a lack of potassium can contribute towards cramps.

Linus! I know nothing about reflexology, alas, but some people do indeed swear by it. I think if you're interested in alternative therapy, acupuncture is probably the most effective one to go for. There is an increasing body of evidence to support it. We use acupuncture for diabetic neuropathy and stuff.