Gift Ideas

we don't know but perhaps a fellow anorak will - ask them here
Woodbine
Last.fm: www.lastharbour.co.uk

Gift Ideas

Post by Woodbine » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:05 pm

Thought it might be nice to have a thread for suggestions for gifts for those awkward-to-buy-for people in your life, and to share the Anorakian knowledge of online shopping emporiums (which could be useful in such situations) as a result.

I'll start - what shall I buy me muvva for Mothering Sunday? If I ask her she'll say she doesn't want anything (but of course I'll buy her something anyway), she's not into chocolates, she's got sensitive skin so doesn't really get on with heavily perfumed smellies, and every year I see loads of nice decorative boxes and such that she'd probably like, but there's only so many decorative boxes a woman needs. Her taste in clothes is really fussy and hard to predict so I can't really go down that route either. She's not a big reader, more because she doesn't have the time rather than lacks the inclination. She already has loads of cookbooks.

I find flowers or vouchers a bit of a cop out, I'd prefer to get her something she can open, that some thought has gone into.....she says, asking for suggestions on the Internet.

Any ideas?
Is evil just something you are, or something you do?

susanb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/susanb84

Re: Gift Ideas

Post by susanb » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:32 pm

I had completely forgotten about Mother's Day until I read this post. If I'm in Glasgow then I normally go back to my parents house and make a nice meal and take my mum some flowers and a small present. Luckily for me my Mum does like perfume and smelly toiletries so I can't got too far wrong with those (if I'm really stuck I make up a box of things I know she'll like from Lush). The last few years I've not been around so I've just sent a card and either given her a present the next time I'm back or else been forward thinking enough to leave one with my Dad the last time I was back. Generally I think it's nice just to give her a day off where she can do what she wants. The last time I was there for Mother's Day I cleaned the house, did some gardening and did the ironing and I think she appreciated that more than the present.
She's not a big reader, more because she doesn't have the time rather than lacks the inclination.
Would she listen to audiobooks? You could buy/download some for her and then she could listen to them while she is doing other things.
I wish I could make this train
go faster than anything

sarahluv
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by sarahluv » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:40 pm

i would recommend lush stuff. i know it smells, but i have super sensitive skin and i only use lush., i recommend going into the south molton street shop and telling them you are buying for someone with sensitive skin.

Sylvie

Post by Sylvie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:26 pm

Woodbine wrote:Any ideas?
My mum has much the same problems that you've mentioned, apart from chocolate. What about a nice brooch or other item of jewellery? A gift voucher for somewhere she can treat herself?

I sometimes get very dry skin and I find some Lush products can be quite drying, so I generally don't use them much anymore.
Just be nice to me.

Woodbine

Post by Woodbine » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestions people!

I probably will end up getting jewellery or something like that - the problem is, she has quite a bit of costume jewellery (and of course I can't afford the expensive stuff) - and I fancied getting something I hadn't got her before. Perfume is fine (she doesn't do fragranced smellies but does do perfume), but I've a feeling I bought her that in a fit of indecision last year. I've toyed with buying her Lush things before, knowing they've got no crap in them, but I'm not sure if she's really right for the world of Lush. I think because she's never really gone in for perfumed toiletries she's never really got the whole soaking in the bath thing surrounded by rose petals, so it would probably be strange for her to see her bathroom routine as anything more than perfunctory now. Arrgh!

Oh, and my sister has announced that she's bought her a tagine, so I'd rather not get anything culinary. I didn't know what a tagine was because I am ignorant.

I bet I end up buying her flowers. The audio books are a good idea, and might be a goer, but I think I would need to drop some hints first and see what happens. It's her birthday in the summer so I might keep that idea in reserve for then.

Sylvie

Post by Sylvie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:35 am

I only know what a tagine is because Andrew's mum bought one recently and tested it out on us last weekend. After the initial spitting of condensation from the side, it worked very well. The meal was delicious.

Gina, what about vintage jewellery? You can get some quite ornate items without breaking the bank, especially brooches. You could get her a Moroccan cookbook to go with the tagine.
Just be nice to me.

Carys

Post by Carys » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:31 am

I was thinking that those recipe books that you write in your own recipes might be quite nice. I use mine for copying recipes I get from the internet.

Last year I got my mum a magic bean that said "I love you" when it grew. Then I was sick in my mouth.

aorta

Post by aorta » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:49 pm

Kaptain Kool and the Kongs frame-tray puzzle is the perfect gift for any occasion.

IT狂人
if i could change your mind, i'd really love to break your heart

Woodbine

Post by Woodbine » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:52 pm

Cherry Darling wrote:I was thinking that those recipe books that you write in your own recipes might be quite nice. I use mine for copying recipes I get from the internet.
I got her one of those for Christmas! Mainly 'cos she's always picking up those free recipe cards in supermarkets and had nowhere to put them. Got one for myself too.

I reckon Sarah's suggestion is as good an excuse as any for me to loiter around the vintage jewellery stalls in Islington at the weekend.

sarahluv

Post by sarahluv » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:22 pm

john lewis' vintage jewellery selection is pretty good too.

Martijn
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall

Post by Martijn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:36 am

Woodbine wrote:that some thought has gone into.....
In this thread I suggested giving an Oxfam goat or something as a generic present for someone who doesn't really need anything and would appreciate that kind of thing.

Woodbine

Post by Woodbine » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:58 pm

After all that I ended up going halves with my sister on the blimmin' tagine, which turned out to be quite expensive, and she ended up having it before Mothering Sunday for various convoluted reasons. I'm still going to get her something small to open on the day, though.

susanb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/susanb84

Post by susanb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:03 pm

I'm going to go with Martijn's Oxfam unwrapped idea for Mother's Day but I can't choose between bed nets, safe drinking water or an education related one. Bed nets are appropriate as I work on malaria, and witter on about it to my Mum, but I think she might appreciate one of the others more (and the big Comic Relief thing seemed to be bed nets this year). I'm going to send her some flowers too as she really likes getting flowers and I'll send a card (hopefully homemade if I have time).
I wish I could make this train
go faster than anything