Selling stuff

we don't know but perhaps a fellow anorak will - ask them here
Sylvie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Selling stuff

Post by Sylvie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Sorry if there's already a thread that covers this, but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

Where is the best place to sell hi-fi equipment and vintage furniture? Obviously, they don't have to be the same place... I never know whether eBay is the best option or not and have been a bit put off by them taking 10% of the final payment and Paypal taking 3.4%.

We have some speakers (B&W DM601S2), an power amp (Arcam P75+) and a pair of 1960s Greaves & Thomas egg chairs, that need recovering. I saw a singular egg chair in slightly better condition go for £137, but I don't know what to do about ours.
Just be nice to me.

Wheatabeat

Re: Selling stuff

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:34 am

Sylvie wrote:Sorry if there's already a thread that covers this, but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

Where is the best place to sell hi-fi equipment and vintage furniture? Obviously, they don't have to be the same place... I never know whether eBay is the best option or not and have been a bit put off by them taking 10% of the final payment and Paypal taking 3.4%.

We have some speakers (B&W DM601S2), an power amp (Arcam P75+) and a pair of 1960s Greaves & Thomas egg chairs, that need recovering. I saw a singular egg chair in slightly better condition go for £137, but I don't know what to do about ours.
I work for an online hi-fi store now. We offer trade-ins on old Hi-Fi equipment and clear anything that people trade in on eBay. It's usually the best way - stick a 'no reserve' on it and you might be surprised on how much your hi-fi stuff goes for. Then again, the fact that we're a 'power seller' on eBay now may contribute towards that a little. The B&W and Arcam stuff has pretty decent sell-on value too provided it's in decent nick. Do you have the original manufacturers packaging too as that always helps?

Alternatively, and if the bite that eBay/Paypal take is still an issue then register on AV Forums - by far the largest hi-fi kit forums online. They have an area where you can sell old gear and there may be someone in your area who'll come and collect it, saving you the hassle of postage too.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/amplifie ... d-adverts/
http://www.avforums.com/forums/speaker- ... d-adverts/
Fuck your tea room.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:31 am

Wheatabeat wrote:I work for an online hi-fi store now. We offer trade-ins on old Hi-Fi equipment and clear anything that people trade in on eBay. It's usually the best way - stick a 'no reserve' on it and you might be surprised on how much your hi-fi stuff goes for. Then again, the fact that we're a 'power seller' on eBay now may contribute towards that a little. The B&W and Arcam stuff has pretty decent sell-on value too provided it's in decent nick. Do you have the original manufacturers packaging too as that always helps?

Alternatively, and if the bite that eBay/Paypal take is still an issue then register on AV Forums - by far the largest hi-fi kit forums online. They have an area where you can sell old gear and there may be someone in your area who'll come and collect it, saving you the hassle of postage too.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/amplifie ... d-adverts/
http://www.avforums.com/forums/speaker- ... d-adverts/
Thanks for that, Jamie. Who do you work for, then? It's in superb condition for its age - the speakers are from 2000, and the amp from 2003, and the only thing I can find wrong is a crack in one of the plastic struts that hold the shape of the dust cover for one of the speakers. It doesn't stop it holding its shape though, it's not visible and that's all the damage - not even a scratch on either speaker or the amp. And yes, I'm a hoarder, so thankfully all the original packaging is present and intact... I don't have the instruction manual for the speakers, but it may be at my Mum's house (I'll be there later today) and I'm guessing speaker instructions aren't quite as critical as, say, CD player instructions.

I like Arcam and B&W stuff, despite all the complaints over excessive warmth. I just have far too much hi-fi stuff, though, and if things are going to sell for decent prices it's better to free up the space at the moment. We've just sold an Arcam Alpha 2 amp to a friend, but we're keeping an Arcam 7R amp and B&W DM602.5 S3 speakers for now, and bi-wiring them. Anyway, that's a tangent...

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Concrete wrote: Thanks for that, Jamie. Who do you work for, then? It's in superb condition for its age - the speakers are from 2000, and the amp from 2003, and the only thing I can find wrong is a crack in one of the plastic struts that hold the shape of the dust cover for one of the speakers. It doesn't stop it holding its shape though, it's not visible and that's all the damage - not even a scratch on either speaker or the amp. And yes, I'm a hoarder, so thankfully all the original packaging is present and intact... I don't have the instruction manual for the speakers, but it may be at my Mum's house (I'll be there later today) and I'm guessing speaker instructions aren't quite as critical as, say, CD player instructions.

I like Arcam and B&W stuff, despite all the complaints over excessive warmth. I just have far too much hi-fi stuff, though, and if things are going to sell for decent prices it's better to free up the space at the moment. We've just sold an Arcam Alpha 2 amp to a friend, but we're keeping an Arcam 7R amp and B&W DM602.5 S3 speakers for now, and bi-wiring them. Anyway, that's a tangent...
I work for Audiovisual Online - a home cinema and hi-fi store that's mainly online, although we do have premises and demo rooms. We're not a B&W dealer (we do Monitor Audio instead - B&W are a bit snooty when it comes to online companies selling their stuff) so I'm not that well up on their gear, but they are pretty great speakers all-in-all. Your set-up does sound very good, Arcam amplification sounds bloody great. Oh, these tangents!

Anyway, back to 'business', You should be able to get a reasonable price for your stuff that you're selling, especially with packaging - always a sign of someone who generally looks after their kit. The crack in the dust cover won't be enough to put most people off. I certainly think try and sell on AV forums first in the hope that someone reasonably local is interested (perhaps put 'South West UK' on the listing if you do). Another avenue to try could be Gumtree. Again, it's a face-to-face sale so you'll be cutting out the middleman, although it's a bit more in the way of cheapo tat that goes on there. Hope you manage to get a decent price for them.
Fuck your tea room.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:44 pm

I bought a second hand Arcam Alpha amp 20 years ago and it's still going strong. Still have the same speakers and turntable (Linn/Rega) I bought with it too. They're all lovely

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 pm

tonieee wrote:I bought a second hand Arcam Alpha amp 20 years ago and it's still going strong.
Yes, I bought my Alpha 2 the best part of ten years ago at a second-hand shop for the bargain price of £45, and used it in my second stereo set-up for most of that. Then we used it every day for a couple of years until recently when we sold it for about half that to a friend. It never showed any signs of trouble, and I was very surprised to find out they were made in about 1986, as it looked more recent. I guess that's why Arcam stuff goes for quite a lot on Ebay, really.