gadgets and geekery

PCs, laptops, macs, mp3 players, consoles, peripherals
Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Re: gadgets and geekery.

Post by Gordon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:20 pm

Concrete wrote:
jayen_aitch wrote: Yes, you can text normally and the number pad comes up on the screen, or you can pull out the keyboard, or you can write the letters with your finger... which is fast becoming my favourite way of writing very quick messages, took a bit of getting used to, but it works.
Gosh, it's like the 1990s and Palm Pilots all over again.
Not exactly... And I have a Palm T|X, which I do not use... stylus-writing is a bit 90s, I think most touch screens use touch-keyboards.
Toot toot.

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Concrete wrote:Gosh, it's like the 1990s and Palm Pilots all over again.
I'm not saying it's ground-breaking, just that it's useful to have a few options... and what's truly original these days?

A phone which can send emails? It's like the Amstrad e-m@iler all over again.

Text messages? It's like the Nokia 1011 all over again.

If you ask me, this all smacks of Alexander Graham Bell's "apparatus for transmitting vocal or other sounds telegraphically".

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:34 pm

Pfft... I send wav attachments in morse code via email.

It's the newest thing.
Toot toot.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:34 pm

jayen_aitch wrote:
Concrete wrote:Gosh, it's like the 1990s and Palm Pilots all over again.
I'm not saying it's ground-breaking, just that it's useful to have a few options... and what's truly original these days?

If you ask me, this all smacks of Alexander Graham Bell's "apparatus for transmitting vocal or other sounds telegraphically".
Jesus bloody Christ, I make one short nostalgic comment about an old gadget and you and Gordon want to get me into some debate about how this is different and whether anything's new any more... What you said reminded me (not in a good way or a bad way - it just took me back down memory lane) of Palm Pilots. That is all. I wasn't having a go at anyone or anything.

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Oh, I don't disagree with what you said, I was just trying to make a joke. Or actually, maybe I was belabouring a joke.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:32 am

Concrete wrote:
jayen_aitch wrote: I'm not saying it's ground-breaking, just that it's useful to have a few options... and what's truly original these days?

Jesus bloody Christ, I make one short nostalgic comment about an old gadget and you and Gordon want to get me into some debate about how this is different and whether anything's new any more... What you said reminded me (not in a good way or a bad way - it just took me back down memory lane) of Palm Pilots. That is all. I wasn't having a go at anyone or anything.
Wow... It's usually me that does the massive mis-interpreting... Are you ok?
Toot toot.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Indietracks is well going to be full of punch-ups this year. The troops are rowdy!

mkgleeds
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mkgleeds

Post by mkgleeds » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:12 pm

islandhopper wrote:Indietracks is well going to be full of punch-ups this year. The troops are rowdy!
Could we arrange a tent for them - and sell tickets..

oxo_foxo

Post by oxo_foxo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:32 pm

I like this thread. I like geekery and gadgetry.

Gadgets are great! I want an AKG Guitar Bug (http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.as ... de=PA00005) for my viola so I can go wandering anywhere I want but am not sure if it is either too pretentious, a waste of money, or just a bit pointless, as in small venues you can't really go wandering *that* far anyway... It's pretty cool though, whatever.

In relation to those posts about the drum machine t-shirt, my brother has a t shirt with LEDs on it that light up if you are within range of a Wi-Fi signal. I thought it was pretty wonderful... Perhaps not as good as the drum machine, though!

Woodbine
Last.fm: www.lastharbour.co.uk

Post by Woodbine » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:57 pm

I expect this sounds a bit silly, but do people think it's understandable to feel a bit paranoid about having an iphone because it might increase the potential of being mugged? As mentioned earlier in this thread I'm thinking of getting one but for this reason I feel slightly apprehensive, even though it will be insured and if someone tried to attack me I'd probably just hand it over anyway knowing that I could get it replaced. I'm not sure if I'm being unnececessarily cautious or not - after all, I had an ipod when they were reasonably new and probably more of a commodity than they are now, and that didn't seem to make any difference. What do people who've got them think? Of course, I can just keep it hidden if I'm somewhere where I think I could be targeted for it, but of course ironically that's probably the time you most want your mobile by your side. Hmm.
Is evil just something you are, or something you do?

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Richard Herring's got nicked from his hand... But I think people probably nick most phones regardless ( you know, if they're going to nick a phone). In theory I should be just as paranoid about my ipod touch, but everyone's wearing headphones these days... Also, if you got a 3GS, you could use voice dialling and keep it in your pocket...
Toot toot.

Woodbine
Last.fm: www.lastharbour.co.uk

Post by Woodbine » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that whatever I get, if it's an upgrade on what I've got now, is likely to be swish and touch screen and covetable even if it's not the iphone, so I'm probably best off just doing it, making sure it's insured and just being vigilant (I too speak as someone who has had a phone nicked out of her hand in the past). I didn't think about voice dial, that's a good idea (so that's when people use it!). Or perhaps I should just have more faith in my fellow man.
Is evil just something you are, or something you do?

mkgleeds
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mkgleeds

Post by mkgleeds » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:09 pm

I kind of thought that as well when i got my IPhone, (especially as im about to move work from nice Barnet to dodgy Wood Green) but i think if you are sensible and keep it hidden / in a pocket when in dodgy places then you should be OK. White headphones could be seen as a bit of a give away, but its just as likely to be a Nano or a Shuffle these days which aren't so coveted.

Carys
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Carys » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Yeah, muggings are grim aren't they? I just think you have to trust people but try and dissuade opportunists. I really don't like people talking on speakers though - it looks like they're talking to you as you walk past, which is pretty disconcerting. I think holding something to your ear is a powerful signal to say "I'm engaged - don't worry, I'm not a crazy person or trying to get your attention".

Just a thing, Woodbine. When you get insurance (and you totally should - iPhones break really easily, I quickly found out) make sure you get it directly from O2 and not from the Carphone Warehouse like I did. O2 can replace a handset the next day, whereas I was waiting 2 weeks for a replacement from the Carphone Warehouse.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:31 pm

okay, first i will apologise if this is in the wrong thread- the closest thing i could find was the rodents thread and that's not right..

anyway, I'm thinking of investing in a microphone for my laptop so I can learn me up some FOREIGN more easily. i was looking around th einterwebs and realised thart there are different wasy of pluggin things in to other things. I saw some headsets with 2 input cabley thingies (like on hifi speakers) and my laptop only has one input thing, though maybe with a headset one is for the mic and one for speakers? that would make MUCH sense. anyway, is that the best kind or is USB better?

or something.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Gordon

Re: gadgets and geekery

Post by Gordon » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Is it definitley hi-fi cable-like, or just one plug for the earphones, and one for the microphone (if it's a headset).
Toot toot.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Gordon wrote:Is it definitley hi-fi cable-like, or just one plug for the earphones, and one for the microphone (if it's a headset).
I dunno, there doesn't seem to be any info but they look like this sort of thing.

I'm thinking USB is a btter idea

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:09 pm

roundbitsofplastic wrote:
Gordon wrote:Is it definitley hi-fi cable-like, or just one plug for the earphones, and one for the microphone (if it's a headset).
I dunno, there doesn't seem to be any info but they look like this sort of thing.

I'm thinking USB is a btter idea
Those are mic in, headphone out plugs - because it's a headset. Not a problem if your soundcard has a mic in and a headphone socket. If not then USB.
In Recordeo Speramus

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:47 pm

yea, my laptop has two little holes at thre front that are for that sort of thing. I was just wondering if anyone ever actually had to use these and whether a USB might be better for any reason?

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:58 pm

roundbitsofplastic wrote:yea, my laptop has two little holes at thre front that are for that sort of thing. I was just wondering if anyone ever actually had to use these and whether a USB might be better for any reason?
That looks like one for headphone and one for microphone to me. I'd say that would be better than USB as they would just work and you could use them in devices other than a computer if you wanted to while the USB ones might need special drivers and software. Unless the USB ones give some extra functionality that you really want.

Edit: I didn't see the reply from Uncle Ants and your reply before posting which is strange. Probably just me being stupid! Anyway to your reply - the only reasons I can think for USB being an advantage would be if it had something extra like buttons for doing stuff but I can't think what.