iTunes help

PCs, laptops, macs, mp3 players, consoles, peripherals
Murray

iTunes help

Post by Murray » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi,

Just a quick question re burning compilations or 'mix tapes' from my I-Tunes library (as I'm a bit of a Luddite who normally uses an ancient version of Media Player); When the lucky bugger I give the recently burned off CD to plays it on their PC, do the artist and title magically appear, or do I need to write it all out for them so they can then add the info themselves?
I know in Media Player that when the CD is played the artist, title, album title etc all appear as 'unknown'.

Any advice gratefully appreciated - cheers.

Murray

User avatar
Sootyzilla
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:31 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla
Location: lounging about at the edge of the dancefloor

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Sootyzilla » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:05 pm

I think it does, but it depends on whether their player can read that information from the disk. I'd always provide a track listing too, just in case they listen to the disc on, y'know, a cd player!

iTunes can also generate unattractive jewel case inserts with a track listing for you, you know that, right?
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

Murray

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Murray » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:11 pm

Sootyzilla wrote: I'd always provide a track listing too, just in case they listen to the disc on, y'know, a cd player!
Good point, thanks!

re the unattractive tracklist option, I don't have a printer, sadly. (I still use paper and felt-tips - told you I was a Luddite!)

On a slightly different note; with Media Player you can burn music onto a data disc which allows you to stick 140+ songs onto a single CD. Anyone know if there's anything similar to this on I-Tunes?

User avatar
Sootyzilla
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:31 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla
Location: lounging about at the edge of the dancefloor

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Sootyzilla » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Nappysack wrote: On a slightly different note; with Media Player you can burn music onto a data disc which allows you to stick 140+ songs onto a single CD. Anyone know if there's anything similar to this on I-Tunes?
yes, in the preferences you can tell it to burn a data cd or an mp3 cd instead of an audio cd.
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5340
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Gordon » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:24 pm

I'm pretty sure a burned CD will not have the track information on it, unless under burning options you tick 'include CD text' I think this is quite basic functionality though. It might be all capitals for all I know, and it only works with a limited number of CD players, I suppose it should work with iTunes... don't know how much data it can hold (check wikipedia...)
Toot toot.

User avatar
knibbles
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by knibbles » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:05 pm

I have just burnt two CDs with a carefully arranged track order and it has alphabetisised all the songs against my wishes to the first letter of the title. It hasn't done this before. Does anyone know how to make it stop? There doesn't seem to be a box which you can tick which says 'leave my track order alone you bugger' on it.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

SophieC
Posts: 3978
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:36 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec
Location: bumtown

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by SophieC » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:30 pm

this made me kick my stool over once.

if you click on the arrow above the track numbers bar you can start to rearrange them again. it's easier to rearrange them if you change the view as well.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

User avatar
knibbles
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by knibbles » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:38 pm

JamieC wrote:this made me kick my stool over once.

if you click on the arrow above the track numbers bar you can start to rearrange them again. it's easier to rearrange them if you change the view as well.
I think it's okay. I've just played the CD I burnt on media player instead of itunes and it's playing them in the right order, it's just when you look at itunes they are in the wrong order and play in the wrong order. I presume that means when my Auntie Bridie puts it in her car cd player it will play in the right order and not itunes stupid order. The CD is refusing to play on either one of my normal CD players but they are a bit shagged. Does burning them at the highest possible speed reduce the quality? Would that result on them not playing on my CD player? Or is my CD player broken?

Also, what setting do I have to select to get them burnt with the track listing on for people who are going to play the CD on a computer? Is it that one that says burn CD text?

There's 5 questions in there. I'm well confused.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

User avatar
Colin
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:56 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Colin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:42 pm

knibbles wrote: I think it's okay. I've just played the CD I burnt on media player instead of itunes and it's playing them in the right order, it's just when you look at itunes they are in the wrong order and play in the wrong order. I presume that means when my Auntie Bridie puts it in her car cd player it will play in the right order and not itunes stupid order. The CD is refusing to play on either one of my normal CD players but they are a bit shagged. Does burning them t the highest possible speed reduce the quality? Would that result on them not playing on my CD player? Or is my CD player broken?

Also, what setting do I have to select to get them burnt with the track listing on for people who are going to play the CD on a computer? Is it that one that says burn CD text?

There's 5 questions in there. I'm well confused.
I'll try to answer them.
1. I think it should play okay for your Auntie Bridie.
2. Burning at the maximum speed doesn't affect the sound quality but it does make it more likely that something will go wrong during the process and the CD won't play properly.
3. Maybe, but you should've seen some kind of error message when burning if it didn't work.
4. Possibly, if it's playing on the computer.
5. After clicking 'Burn Disc', make sure the box that says 'Include CD text' is ticked.

Sorry, that wasn't much help. Also, what Jamie said - click the headings (Album or the one with the track numbers) on iTunes to sort it into the right order.

a layer of chips
Posts: 18613
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:17 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by a layer of chips » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:45 pm

I bet Gary Davies never had all this bother.

User avatar
knibbles
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by knibbles » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Colin wrote:
knibbles wrote: I think it's okay. I've just played the CD I burnt on media player instead of itunes and it's playing them in the right order, it's just when you look at itunes they are in the wrong order and play in the wrong order. I presume that means when my Auntie Bridie puts it in her car cd player it will play in the right order and not itunes stupid order. The CD is refusing to play on either one of my normal CD players but they are a bit shagged. Does burning them t the highest possible speed reduce the quality? Would that result on them not playing on my CD player? Or is my CD player broken?

Also, what setting do I have to select to get them burnt with the track listing on for people who are going to play the CD on a computer? Is it that one that says burn CD text?

There's 5 questions in there. I'm well confused.
I'll try to answer them.
1. I think it should play okay for your Auntie Bridie.
2. Burning at the maximum speed doesn't affect the sound quality but it does make it more likely that something will go wrong during the process and the CD won't play properly.
3. Maybe, but you should've seen some kind of error message when burning if it didn't work.
4. Possibly, if it's playing on the computer.
5. After clicking 'Burn Disc', make sure the box that says 'Include CD text' is ticked.

Sorry, that wasn't much help. Also, what Jamie said - click the headings (Album or the one with the track numbers) on iTunes to sort it into the right order.
Thanks Colin!

I'm relieved that my Auntie Bridie will be okay.
They are playing fine on the computer but not on normal CD players. I'll go and try them on other CD players and see what happens.
Thanks very much for answering all my boring questions.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

User avatar
Colin
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:56 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Colin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:48 pm

No problem. If it's playing on the computer that's obviously a good sign, but it's worth trying it on a reliable CD player to be sure.

islandhopper
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:44 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein
Location: I belong to Glasgow

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by islandhopper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:30 pm

knibbles wrote: They are playing fine on the computer but not on normal CD players. I'll go and try them on other CD players and see what happens.
Thanks very much for answering all my boring questions.
Did it work on the other CD players? If not, then I guess you might have burned an mp3 CD or a data CD rather than an audio one.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5340
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Gordon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:33 pm

On the other hand, sometimes CDs that work in computers, don't work in stereos. I'm not sure if it's down the disc or the stereo, in particular.
Toot toot.

User avatar
knibbles
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by knibbles » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:08 pm

I tried it on another CD player and it worked. Hoo-bloody-Ray. My Auntie Bridie shan't go disappointed.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

User avatar
Jeezy Creezy
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:13 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: the wrong side of the tracks

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Jeezy Creezy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:44 am

I found this thread fascinating (I'm the only person in the office and I'm bored). I was presented a nanopod about 6 months ago and have only done so much as change the time on it and play solitaire. 1 month ago I got around to borrowing an itunes software disc (I don't have t'internet) and I'm sure one day I'll get round to installing it on my uni lab reject PC. Hopefully this will not be in a frantic all nighter trying to burn my entire CD collection in the last minute before I have to box up me wordly position when I'm made homeless in 6 weeks.

So my question is: How long does it take to burn on yer nanopod?
Sarcasm was the lowest form of wit. Now there's you.

User avatar
darvé
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve
Location: London

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by darvé » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:22 am

It doesn't take that long to put the songs on the actual Nano, it's pretty much just dragging and dropping the file in itunes. Without internet though, when you rip the CD's to itunes you'll have to put all the titles/artists in manually, which is a right fucker.

Unless of course you don't mind whole albums labelled 'track 1' 'track 2' 'track 3' etc.
and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner

User avatar
Jeezy Creezy
Posts: 893
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:13 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: the wrong side of the tracks

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Jeezy Creezy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:26 am

I'm used to manually labelling everything anyhoo but thanks for the heads up. Maybe two all nighters are required.
Sarcasm was the lowest form of wit. Now there's you.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5340
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Gordon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 pm

davo wrote:It doesn't take that long to put the songs on the actual Nano, it's pretty much just dragging and dropping the file in itunes. Without internet though, when you rip the CD's to itunes you'll have to put all the titles/artists in manually, which is a right fucker.

Unless of course you don't mind whole albums labelled 'track 1' 'track 2' 'track 3' etc.
Although you can do some of the stuff in bulk-edit mode, like artist/album/year/number of tracks.
Toot toot.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5340
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: I-Tunes help

Post by Gordon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:33 pm

Bear in mind, also that the version of itunes you need for a nano might not be supported on the operating system/specs of the uni reject computer (but it probably will be).
Toot toot.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest