Android

PCs, laptops, macs, mp3 players, consoles, peripherals
caramarydaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Android

Post by caramarydaisy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:05

this is something i too would be interested to hear about.

i am fairly anti everything apple, so iphones are completely out.

ive toyed with getting a blackberry to be honest, im not so fussed about wanting a touchscreen and it seems like the next step forward for me perhaps. theyve just released one on pay as you go on 02 to buy for £150 which isnt really much more than i paid for my current phone when i bought that so im tempted.

i hate the thought of being on contract and accidentally running up huge bills and not being able to keep track of whats going on. plus i barely use my phone - a £15 top up a month with 500 free texts keeps me going fine, any calls or mms or internet checking comes out of that £15 top up. i need to top up again now and ive still got £9 on my phone for example.

anyway, would be interested to hear about android phones as well esp if there are any available on pay as you go, ideally on o2.
i said OK! the wind said no

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:21

The touchscreen is absolutely brilliant for internet stuff, but only "alright" for texting etc. As Pete said earlier, you can't really text while walking, and it's also a little bit tricky if you're on a bus / train / anything that moves around a bit. As I don't have a laptop I wanted something I could easily check email / net stuff on and this phone is perfect for that. I don't think I could fully recommend a touch-screen phone to anyone who wasn't planning to use the internet on it quite a lot (unless they had some other specific interest obviously).

SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by SophieC » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:32

tompony wrote:
I manually upgraded to Android 2.2 over the weekend and almost broke my phone twice. It was frightening! Apparently O2 aren't going to officially update for ages, though. The update seems nice, it's smoother and quicker and being able to install apps to the SD card is vital since there's not a great deal of storage on the phone itself.
hey! i was thinking of doing this seeing as a) my orange phone is full of there absolutely shite apps that i can't remove b) i have to rely on them to sort there own updates. is it easy? this phone breaking thing sounds a bit of a worry.

antsy. my camera on the HTC Desire is alright. like ponysy says the pictures look shit hot on screen but quality is noticeably less on your computer. plus the flash really, really washes stuff out in low light. plus seems to go off when it's not that dark, but you can turn that off. it does take a while to take after you press the button as well. still better than my shite four year old digi camera mind. here's some examples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamiebiscuit/

i've downloaded yer SNES, NES and Gameboy Advance emulators. i haven't actually managed to get any of them to work, because I need to find a bios file that actually works, but once i have advance wars on my phone i will happy as nelson mandela in a jazzy shirt shop.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

tompony

Post by tompony » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:36

JamieC wrote:hey! i was thinking of doing this seeing as a) my orange phone is full of there absolutely shite apps that i can't remove b) i have to rely on them to sort there own updates. is it easy? this phone breaking thing sounds a bit of a worry.
this is the method that I used that actually worked: http://www.geekword.net/manually-instal ... tc-desire/

there seems to be a load of different ways to do it. I think the first one that I tried partially worked, and then the second one got messed up because the first one didn't fully complete.

SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by SophieC » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:39

tompony wrote:The touchscreen is absolutely brilliant for internet stuff, but only "alright" for texting etc. As Pete said earlier, you can't really text while walking, and it's also a little bit tricky if you're on a bus / train / anything that moves around a bit. As I don't have a laptop I wanted something I could easily check email / net stuff on and this phone is perfect for that. I don't think I could fully recommend a touch-screen phone to anyone who wasn't planning to use the internet on it quite a lot (unless they had some other specific interest obviously).
aye. a lot of my texts end up filled with unneccesary dots as the spacebar is uncomfortably close to the full stop. if you like the sound of the HTC desire but fancy something cheaper i've seen £15 pounds a month deals for the HTC wildfire. which is essentially the same as the desire but with a smaller screen and slower proccessor.

also hair product users with touch screen phones may spend an inordinate amount of time rubbing there phone against their shirt.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:53

I'm used to a touch screen for typing - I shouldn't imagine it's any different to the iPod Touch I use at home for horizontal web surfing. I donlt mind it tbh.

Camera not taking the pic instantly would probably be a deal breaker. The iPhone 4 Camera, really is good, really is instant and does low light very well. Maybe I'll just bite a lemon and give Jobs some money when the new Touch comes out and use a cheapo DumbPhone instead. I surf the Internet more than is healthy anyway - doing it down the pub may be a step too far.

That said looking at online reviews n stuff and features, the Acer Liquid E looks pretty good (and only about £50 more than the new Touch is going to be), but without hands on I don't know that the camera in it is any good.

Looking at Pay as you Go offers, the only Androids that are available are at the bottom end of the market and pretty dumbed down from what I can see. I really don't want or need a contract.
JamieC wrote:also hair product users with touch screen phones may spend an inordinate amount of time rubbing there phone against their shirt.
Yuck. Mind you it's the same for compulsive sticky bun eaters as well.
In Recordeo Speramus

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 14:18

I don't understand the dissing of the Android/HTC cameras! My HTC Desire I think takes fantastic photographs. Isn't it 5 megapixels? Not that I know the megapixel count of my 'real' camera, though. Of course it's not an SLR but I'm pretty sure they're better than at least the one-model-old iphone (that's what my partner, who has an iphone from a year ago, has said). But it also could be because I'm utterly besotted with the Vignette application. I have never taken pictures and coloured and framed them like I have with this application. I reach for it every day. It's such a simple way to be creative and find beauty all around you.

I wish you could post a link to all one's photos taken using this application via Flickr but you can't so here are just a few.

There's more than one use for every part

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Mon Aug 23, 2010 14:24

Jen, When you take a picture ... does it go click and take a picture as you press the button or does it go brrrpclick and take it half a second after you pressed the button. I know it seems a small thing but that's what my camera does and it really annoys me. It's partly what impressed me with the iPhone camera.
In Recordeo Speramus

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 14:28

Uncle Ants wrote:Jen, When you take a picture ... does it go click and take a picture as you press the button or does it go brrrpclick and take it half a second after you pressed the button. I know it seems a small thing but that's what my camera does and it really annoys me. It's partly what impressed me with the iPhone camera.
Using either the camera and the vignette app, the click is pretty instant. As soon as I press the button, it focuses on the subject and then takes the picture. I just tried it both ways and it doesn't seem like there is a hiccup to me. I think it is different to the iphone though. Don't iphones have that kind of on-screen shutter that closes indicating the picture is being taken RIGHT NOW? I can see how that would be pleasing.
There's more than one use for every part

tompony

Post by tompony » Mon Aug 23, 2010 14:30

When you aim the camera at something it does an autofocus type thing... if you press the button while it's doing this, it takes a second to think. If it has already focussed, it's almost instantaneous. That's how it seems to me, anyway.

I love Vignette too, the filters and whatnot can make for some marvellous pictures. The output looks better because it's covering up for the camera's limitations though, rather than anything else. Which is cool! But for a nice crisp clean photograph I find the Desire to be a bit under par.

edit: I sound like a right photo-knob here, don't I.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Mon Aug 23, 2010 14:35

String Bean Jen wrote: Don't iphones have that kind of on-screen shutter that closes indicating the picture is being taken RIGHT NOW? I can see how that would be pleasing.
It does but that's not what quite I mean. I don't know how it does it but it doesn't seem to take any time over the focussing. It just seems to take it literally when you press the button - like my old instamatic did. I just get fed up on my camera of the bloody autofocus whirring away and by the time it takes the picture everyone is looking at the floor, yawning, picking their nose etc. etc.
In Recordeo Speramus

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:29

Your Funny Uncle wrote:
Uncle Ants wrote:2) what's to stop you using skype to landline for phone calls - that way it's something like 1.5p a minute rather than stuipd pence a minute for calls. Do they stop you doing this? I know there is a Skype app for Android, so I know it's technically okay just wondering if the phone providers block it somehow or have worked out a way to stitch you up on it.
Actually as far as I'm aware the only official skype app is with three and that's skype-to skype only. No skype out. Also it DOESN'T WORK on wi-fi which is really annoying. On iPhone it's the opposite. You can't use skype over mobile internet but on wi-fi you can use skype-out.
Just to say, I'm on Three and use Skype Out a lot on my phone to talk to my family abroad, so it works. In fact, whenever I make an international phonecall, I get a box asking if I want to make it via Skype, which is nice of it.

Your Funny Uncle

Post by Your Funny Uncle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:38

crystalball wrote: Just to say, I'm on Three and use Skype Out a lot on my phone to talk to my family abroad, so it works. In fact, whenever I make an international phonecall, I get a box asking if I want to make it via Skype, which is nice of it.
Oh really? I'll have to give it a try one of these days. We do use skype to call my wife's family in Mexico but these days we usually do it from home with video. It's still bloody annoying that it doesn't work over wi-fi, though...

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:57

crystalball wrote:
Just to say, I'm on Three and use Skype Out a lot on my phone to talk to my family abroad, so it works. In fact, whenever I make an international phonecall, I get a box asking if I want to make it via Skype, which is nice of it.
Interesting. Does skype out work to non international numbers as well?

I've been looking at online video reviews and the photos people have been taking. It definitely looks like the HTC Desire is the one to go for. If you are good at spotting ebay scams to avoid them it looks as though you can pick a "used", often effectively an unused but unwanted upgrade for about £250. A friend of mine tells me he has a bunch of cashback credits worth £100 I can have, valid against a 12 month, sim only, £15 a month, O2 contract, - so for a year, effectively £70. I need to look into the details on this. I think I'm going to go for it unless the internet allowance is really stingy.

One thing I was wondering about the HTC Desire camera. A lot of the pictures I've seen look a bit washed out and flat ... but I did see that it has various saturation, balance and contrast adjustments. Has anyone messed with these to see if better results can be had? It looked from the video reviews that the autofocus works fast enough ... lot faster than my camera anyway.
In Recordeo Speramus

tompony

Post by tompony » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:00

I haven't really messed with the settings that much, to be honest, although I did install the Photoshop app and have messed with the contrast and stuff a bit using that. Usually on photos of the sky. I take too many photos of clouds.

I've generally been happy with the saturation etc. but I find that the pictures lack a bit of crispness. It might just be that I don't have very steady hands though, and am slightly blurring absolutely everything!

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:06

The camera on my HTC Tattoo is crap. Very flat-looking images, no depth at all, and no use in low light. Even when you change the settings. It also does that 'take the picture a second after you press the button' thing, with predictably frustrating results.

But, y'know, I absolutely didn't buy the phone for the camera, so I'm not that arsed.

And other HTC phones are bound to have better cameras; mine's bottom of the range (like everything I've ever owned). That there crystalball seems to have taken some fine pictures with her higher-spec HTC. Is yours a Desire, M?

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:58

Mine is a Desire, yeah. I really don't know much at all about cameras but Vignette is definitely better than the default camera application on my phone, so maybe that's what makes the difference. I'm still blown away by the fact that you can take pictures on a phone, mind.
Uncle Ants wrote:Does skype out work to non international numbers as well?
I've just tried doing that and no, it doesn't, I'm afraid.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue Aug 24, 2010 13:24

I think I'm going to go for it anyway. That O2 deal isn't quite so fantastic - it doesn't include Internet which is another £10 a month on top.

Best I can find that isn't on contract is t-mobile which will cost £40 a year for 1GB a month plus the usual horrible PAYG call charges. Still if my last PAYG experience is anything to go by it'll cost me a about £60 for the year :). I think I'll just do it and see how I get on for a month or two and if I do wind up making more than the odd call or text revisit it.

3 give you a crummy 150mb per month on all their PAYG deals which I don't think will be enough. So I guess even if skype out to uk lines did work (which it doesn't) I think I'd be in trouble there.

The camera in the Desire may not be quite what I'm after but I think it's the one for everything else. Oddly there seem to be a couple of mobiles out there running Symbian that seem to have semi serious cameras ... but no Androids that are extra good.

Anyway enough of this work avoidance for now.
In Recordeo Speramus

Final Loan
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Final Loan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 13:46

I've heard good things about the camera on the Sony Ericsson Vivaz. I think that's an Android phone. Specs aren't as good as the Deisre, mind.

edit : I take it back, it's a Symbian. The Xperia is an Android though.

Its camera:
Camera - 8.1 Megapixel
Digital Zoom - up to 16x
Auto focus
Face recognition
Avoid blurriness caused by slight hand movements.
Flash / light type - Photo light
Send to web
Video recording
Video light
Geo-tagging
Smile detection
Smile detection?
I may be ugly and hate-filled but... wait, what was the third thing you said?

Pockets Filled With Matches are no more, but we still have copies of our e.p. 'If Time Heals You' for sale, if you'd like one

tompony

Post by tompony » Tue Aug 24, 2010 13:53

The guy I work with has one of those - I just asked him about the camera, he says it's "pretty fuckin' slick".

I don't think the touch screen has multi-touch though, if that's a deal breaker. I quite like being able to zoom into webpages with a sneaky pinch.