Tablets

PCs, laptops, macs, mp3 players, consoles, peripherals
User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10540
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Tablets

Post by humblebee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Anyone using a tablet? I was thinking of treating myself to one. Please discuss or recommend!

I'm not gonna go mad - maybe up to £300 or so. Sony Tablet S looks quite nice.
Last edited by humblebee on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10540
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by humblebee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Right...

Is it just me or has everywhere sold out of the Nexus 7?

#firstworldproblems

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5340
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by Gordon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:01 pm

We got a kindle fire. It's pretty good for a budget sort of thing.
Toot toot.

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6876
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56 am
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 pm

humblebee wrote:Right...

Is it just me or has everywhere sold out of the Nexus 7?

#firstworldproblems
Yeah, appears so. I was gonna get one at one point....
not really here

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10540
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by humblebee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Maybe it's for the best. I'm still a bit torn between the 32GB Nexus 7 for 200 quid and a 8GB 10-inch Samsung for about £240. Do I need a bigger screen or more storage? Hmmm. Hmmmmmm.

User avatar
This Is Helena
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:38 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tout_va_bien
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by This Is Helena » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:51 pm

humblebee wrote:Maybe it's for the best. I'm still a bit torn between the 32GB Nexus 7 for 200 quid and a 8GB 10-inch Samsung for about £240. Do I need a bigger screen or more storage? Hmmm. Hmmmmmm.
If the 10" Samsung you're looking at is the Galaxy Tab 2 storage shouldn't be a problem as it has a micro sd card slot. The Sony S isn't that nice for £300. If I was looking in that price range I'd wait for the Nexus 10 to come back into stock. It's priced at £319 but only has 16GB.

I've got a Blackberry Playbook. It's very nicely made and has a high quality feel but there aren't as many applications as on Android or IOS. Of course, it was quite cheap at £129 for a 64GB model.
be popular play pop

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10540
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by humblebee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I've moved away from the idea of a Sony since I started the thread. Can't get on with Blackberrys though and I hate Apple. Think the Samsung I was looking at today must've been one of the Galaxy Tab 2s, but I can't remember or figure out which one.

Being middle-aged means not having to say sorry for going to John Lewis to look for a computer.

User avatar
crystalball
Posts: 5197
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters
Location: That London
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by crystalball » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 pm

You can still get the Nexus 7 from Google for the same price as in the shops: https://play.google.com/store/devices/d ... site&hl=en

I was in the same quandary about capacity vs size but after seeing people with 10" tablets on the tube, I realised they're quite awkward to manoeuvre with one hand, so I went for the Nexus. For typing and for reading, the Nexus is really quite nicely shaped and I don't feel like a massive twat holding it - that was an important consideration. Also the OS is dead fast (sorry, POWERFUL) and the screen resolution is really good. I even like reading on it with the Kindle app. Didn't know that was possible. It's good, I like it a lot.

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10540
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by humblebee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Is it really OK for typing on then, Marianthi? I didn't really have enough of a go on yours to be certain.

User avatar
crystalball
Posts: 5197
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:04 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters
Location: That London
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by crystalball » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:14 pm

It's as good as you are going to get on a touch-screen, I think. I prefer a proper keyboard but then it's fine for taking notes or emailing or posting on Anorak. I wouldn't write a novel on it.

Murray

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by Murray » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:12 pm

The 16gb Nexus 10 is back in stock at the Play store, but still no 32gb versions.

I got Victoria an Ipad for Christmas; it's reeeaaalllly lovely, but I'm determined not to dabble with it because then I'll start to hog it and it will become apparent who really wanted one.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5340
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by Gordon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 pm

You got my wife an iPad?!
Toot toot.

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10540
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by humblebee » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Another thought.

If I get a tablet that can replace my cronky old (2008) laptop as well as just being a tablet, then I can justify spending more money.

I saw an ad the other day for Windows 8-based laptops that have detachable keyboards. So I guess you can use those at home with the keyboard on when you're doing lots of typing, and then take the screen off to turn it into a tablet when you're off out and stuff.

Sounds good. Windows 8 will be appalling, though, right? What are the practicalities of using Android for everything? I suppose that's a whole other thread. Hmmm.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5340
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by Gordon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Windows 8 may be ok. I've not seen anything to suggest it's appalling. It won't have that many apps, though. And there was some controversy about advertised memory vs usable memory.

Also, you can probably get separate keyboards for most other major tablets. The one with the surface tablet will be an extra.
Toot toot.

Murray

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by Murray » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Gordon wrote:You got my wife an iPad?!
I'm good like that.

User avatar
This Is Helena
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:38 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tout_va_bien
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by This Is Helena » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:53 pm

humblebee wrote:Another thought.

If I get a tablet that can replace my cronky old (2008) laptop as well as just being a tablet, then I can justify spending more money.

I saw an ad the other day for Windows 8-based laptops that have detachable keyboards. So I guess you can use those at home with the keyboard on when you're doing lots of typing, and then take the screen off to turn it into a tablet when you're off out and stuff.

Sounds good. Windows 8 will be appalling, though, right? What are the practicalities of using Android for everything? I suppose that's a whole other thread. Hmmm.
I use Windows 8 a bit (on a desktop system) and it's not that bad. As far as I can make out it's just Windows 7 with the Metro interface on top and some redesigned applications which run full screen such as Internet Explorer. I expect it would be a lot better on a tablet particularly when using the touchscreen. The thing to look out for is the different versions of Windows on tablets. First there's Windows RT which is more typical of tablet type operating systems and as such may prove too restrictive to replace a laptop. It does come with a version of Office though but other applications can only be downloaded from the Microsoft store (unless some clever types come up with a hack). Second there's the regular version of Windows 8 which runs on convertible tablets with an Intel processor but these are quite a bit more expensive.

More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT
be popular play pop

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10540
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by humblebee » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:35 am

Hmmm, OK, that's useful, thanks!

User avatar
jayen_aitch
Posts: 2660
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:54 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/
Location: sverige

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by jayen_aitch » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 am

May I ask, what drives your dislike of Apple without similar feelings towards Microsoft?

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10540
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by humblebee » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 am

jayen_aitch wrote:May I ask, what drives your dislike of Apple without similar feelings towards Microsoft?
You may.

I don't get on with Apple OS; I never have; it seems fiddly and counterintuitive to me. I hate Itunes with a passion: it's the most ludicrously convoluted piece of software I've ever used, a classic example of putting the developers' agenda before usability and the needs of the layperson (which is a real shame given the great interface they've developed for the Ipod). I hate the way Apple seem able to build a laptop or desktop and charge three or four times as much money for it as you would pay for a PC with the same processing power. Perhaps most of all, from a consumer's perspective I hate the way Apple have established this brand whereby they're perceived not as the massive, corporate, sweatshop-exploiting behemoth that they are, but as like your favourite indie band or the cool independent cafe down the road. (From a professional perspective as a marketer I think it's amazing, but that's neither here nor there.) I don't want my IT to be hip and stylish; that's not what IT is supposed to be; IT should be functional, like a financial services company, and I don't choose my bank on the basis of how many clean-cut dancing 21-year-olds in beanie hats and Gap cargo pants they can squeeze into an advert on the telly.

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5340
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Tablet PCs

Post by Gordon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 am

humblebee wrote:
jayen_aitch wrote:May I ask, what drives your dislike of Apple without similar feelings towards Microsoft?
You may.

I don't get on with Apple OS; I never have; it seems fiddly and counterintuitive to me. I hate Itunes with a passion: it's the most ludicrously convoluted piece of software I've ever used, a classic example of putting the developers' agenda before usability and the needs of the layperson (which is a real shame given the great interface they've developed for the Ipod). I hate the way Apple seem able to build a laptop or desktop and charge three or four times as much money for it as you would pay for a PC with the same processing power. Perhaps most of all, from a consumer's perspective I hate the way Apple have established this brand whereby they're perceived not as the massive, corporate, sweatshop-exploiting behemoth that they are, but as like your favourite indie band or the cool independent cafe down the road. (From a professional perspective as a marketer I think it's amazing, but that's neither here nor there.) I don't want my IT to be hip and stylish; that's not what IT is supposed to be; IT should be functional, like a financial services company, and I don't choose my bank on the basis of how many clean-cut dancing 21-year-olds in beanie hats and Gap cargo pants they can squeeze into an advert on the telly.
On the other hand, the iPad is really nice.
Toot toot.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests