Laptop Projector

PCs, laptops, macs, mp3 players, consoles, peripherals
roundbitsofplastic

Laptop Projector

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am

I have had an idea and if I'm going to do anything about it I will need a projector.

Looking online they don't seem MAD expensive, starting from about £100. Obviously I am perfectly capable (reasonably, sort-of capable) of reading online reviews, but I wondered if anyone has any experience of these things? I've only ever used one a couple of times at work or college.

I'd just want something that could show films in a pub, really. Nothing fancy, but would have to be fairly clear at a decent size.

Knowing nothing about this sort of thing, what do I need to consider?

Cheers, popkids x

Edit
My laptop is a PC running some sort of Window, 7 or 8, I guess. If it gets more technical than that, I'm screwed.
Also, if anyone's knows someone who has one they want to get rid of, I am quite obviously in the market.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: Laptop Projector

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:34 pm

The costly part of these are the replacement bulbs/lamps which need replacing every so often (2000 hours?) so when you settle on the model, check the cost of the replacement bulbs/lamps - it might be worth spending a little more for one that has better bulb/lamp life or it cheaper when it comes to replacing bulbs/lamps.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector-lamps-faq.cfm
not really here

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Trev wrote:The costly part of these are the replacement bulbs/lamps which need replacing every so often (2000 hours?) so when you settle on the model, check the cost of the replacement bulbs/lamps - it might be worth spending a little more for one that has better bulb/lamp life or it cheaper when it comes to replacing bulbs/lamps.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector-lamps-faq.cfm

Cheers, Trev. That's exactly the sort of tip I need!

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

mightypie

Post by mightypie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:48 pm

roundbitsofplastic wrote:I have had an idea and if I'm going to do anything about it I will need a projector.
Have you thought of hiring one as you could also hire a screen too, this will also allow you check the video output for your laptop is compatible.
That's what my better half did for a few art projects.
Hey - you with the good taste and the sharp wit!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:00 pm

I figured by the time I've hired one I'll be half way to buying one.

From looking online, people are very secretive about how much it *actually* costs to hire one..

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:02 pm

You'll need an HDMI port on your laptop (shouldn't be an issue if it's modern enough to be running Windows 7) and don't forget that you'll need to have a PA or some decent speakers hooked up as well which could raise the price unless your venue already has stuff.

My dad managed to sort out a whole home cinema projector thing for cheap by looking out for bargains and, erm, assembling a surround sound rig from stuff he found abandoned at the dump. Now he can watch Match of the Day in massive!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:31 pm

I'll have to look up that HDMI thing. I got my laptop in the January Sales this year, so it's pretty new. I rather naievley assumed these things ran by USB. Also, I totally neglected the audio side of things. Man, nothing is easy, is it? That's why I tend to give up :-/

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Wheatabeat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:02 pm

I work at an Audiovisual company, but ours start at around £700 upwards.

If you're doing it in a room that leaks quite a bit of light you need to look at projectors that have a higher lumens ratio. And yeah, HDMI cable for the best picture, component video cable (red, green, blue plugs) otherwise. Don't bother with composite (red, yellow, white plugs) - the quality's shite. (same goes for VGA cables too)

If I had the living room for one I'd almost certainly buy one of the £1,300 projectors for movie nights. The quality is astounding. Our living room's well small though, so 42" TV is ample.

For audio, look into a cheap AV receiver (basically a home cinema amplifier) and a cheap 5.1 speaker pack. You can buy as a bundle, with all the proper cabling for about £400-£500. It will genuinely sound decent then. In loose terms of budget, for a whole home cinema living room setup to a decent quality level think £1,200-ish if you're doing it brand new, £500-ish if you're doing it all second hand.

That sounds terribly spammy doesn't it. I fucking hate where I work too, I shouldn't really talk 'shop'.
Fuck your tea room.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks, Whatabeat et al for the info.

Unforunately, it looks like I've been priced out of the game.

That'll learn me for thinking I've had a good idea.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip