The Abject Horror That is Mobile Phones

PCs, laptops, macs, mp3 players, consoles, peripherals
linus

Post by linus » Wed May 22, 2013 9:09 am

They probably don't even call them mobile phones anymore, they're probably called i-lifestyle limpet devices or eareyesexyzones or pebbles of infinite hope

I'm due an upgrade and I've no idea what phone to get... can anyone either recommend me a phone or tell me what phone I should most definitely not get?

I need to make telephone calls on it, receive and send the odd text, maybe go on the interweb (every phone I've had that reckons it could do this, couldn't), maybe look at emails (again, chinny reckon phones can actually do this based on what I've been subjected to before) and a camera is always nice, isn't it (especially one that can make my penis look really massive for when I'm sending pictures of my penis to the young people like I know a lot of people use their cameraphones for... I don't want to literally sell myself short)?

So, yes, I've had various phones suggested by my phone company and I've looked at phone review sites but I lack trust and confidence in that advice because I'm not, despite appearances, a complete prannet

I do however believe every word you say

Thank you

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Re: The Abject Horror That is Mobile Phones

Post by humblebee » Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 am

a bag of plums wrote:prannet
Excellent word!

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini and it's lovely. Before that I had a couple of HTC phones and they were good too. Basically just about anything with an Android operating system is boss. Blackberries are clunky and counterintuitive; iPhones are overpriced and fragile.

When I got this I was looking at the HTC One as well, which seemed decent. Anyone here got a Nexus 4? Any use?

The Galaxy S4 looks insanely good. I don't want one because I'd spend all day playing on my phone and withdraw entirely from everyday life.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed May 22, 2013 9:57 am

i've got one of them there galaxies... forget which model, but it's pretty good for everything you outline, although admittedly i've not tried to take any pics of yr penis (YET)

although it's in the shop at the minute cos there was a problem with the charger socket - don't think this is common with em, luckily

i've borrowed a friend's old blackberry in the meantime. i really don't like it at all. avoid.
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed May 22, 2013 9:58 am

indiansummer wrote:i've got one of them there galaxies... forget which model, but it's pretty good for everything you outline, although admittedly i've not tried to take any pics of yr penis (YET)

although it's in the shop at the minute cos there was a problem with the charger socket - don't think this is common with em, luckily

i've borrowed a friend's old blackberry in the meantime. i really don't like it at all. avoid.
battery life is shite though. i reckon i charge my phone once a day - sometimes more if i've given teh interents birrova pounding
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 am

Yeah, battery life on (seemingly) all modern phones is completely hopeless. It seems like one of those things that they must surely sort out at some point? I similarly have to charge my phone more than once a day if I use it a lot. And I tend to use it a lot, because having a job is boring.

I've got an iPhone, which I would recommend to anyone who wants to be able to carry a powerful recording studio in their pocket. They're definitely overpriced for use as an actual phone, though - I would have stuck with Android for absolutely anything else.

linus

Post by linus » Wed May 22, 2013 10:06 am

excellent advice so far... the galaxy jobbies are in my 'free upgrade' range, so I'm leaning that way... there are also some galaxy minis, presumably fun size phones... would they be too tiny for a fat handed twat like me? I've got serious sausage fingers so buttons the size of a mouse's freckle are not an option

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Wed May 22, 2013 10:17 am

Mrs humblebee went for some really cheap contract deal recently and got a 'free' Samsung mini thing - it's not a Galaxy though; it's actually a bit rubbish. If you get a 'mini' make sure it's a Galaxy Mini and not just a mini!

The Samsung 'mini' phones are actually just about the average size that phones were about three years ago. You know, after the technology improved and they could make everything smaller and touchscreeny, and the adverts said "ha, look at that wanker with his great big mobile phone, don't be like that wanker, buy this small one instead!", but before they decided big phones were cool again and the adverts said "actually, look at this five-inch touchscreen, it won't fit in your pocket but it's fucking ace, buy it and you won't be a wanker, actually, ignore what we said before".

I'm finding the battery life on it better than on my older HTC phones. It hasn't run out before bedtime yet!

darvé
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve

Post by darvé » Wed May 22, 2013 10:34 am

Clare's got a Samsung Galaxy and she hates it, but she had an iphone for a years before this and i don't think she can quite get used to a non Apple operating system. Android seems to confuse her, silly girl.

Also, hers randomly turns itself off at various times which is, in fairness, REALLY ANNOYING. Her experience of it would put me off getting a Samsung though.

I'm now on my second HTC (a Sensation) but i believe the One is the current flagship model. I have no problems with Android or the operating system and it does everything i need (although the camera i find to be shit, not necessarily the quality or anything, but i just find it clunky to use, so i rarely bother) The battery is poor though, but then i think we've established thats a given now on any smart phone right? I keep a USB charger plugged into my work PC so i can charge at work, that normally gets me through the evening/night.
and that snare drum, that drum roll
means we've got a winner

Murray

Post by Murray » Wed May 22, 2013 10:46 am

I have a Nexus 4 and it's ace. You can buy one direct from Google for about £270, which is what I would have done if they ever had them in stock.

Just checked, and they do have them in stock - https://play.google.com/store/devices/d ... exus_4_8gb
Compare that and a cheap SIM card against the cost of a 24 month contract, and buy buyy BUY!

Andy - I have a HTC Desire if you want it? I loved it, but upgraded earlier this year. Victoria still has hers and won't be upgrading as she loves it so much. You could get a cheap SIM only deal maybe?

Incidentally, I've got a Nexus 10 tablet too. They talk to each other without me knowing. I was at home looking up the vnue to go and see Playloung and Joanna Gruesome in that trendy Dalston area. When I got off the Overground, I wasn't sure which way I should be heading. I looked at my phone and, without promting, it asked me if I would like to see the directions to the venue on my phone map. I was gobsmacked and also a little scared.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Wed May 22, 2013 11:10 am

Murray wrote:Incidentally, I've got a Nexus 10 tablet too. They talk to each other without me knowing. I was at home looking up the vnue to go and see Playloung and Joanna Gruesome in that trendy Dalston area. When I got off the Overground, I wasn't sure which way I should be heading. I looked at my phone and, without promting, it asked me if I would like to see the directions to the venue on my phone map. I was gobsmacked and also a little scared.
I'd call an exorcist at your earliest convenience.

(That's awesome! I'm deffo getting a Nexus phone when my contract ends in 53 years.)

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Wed May 22, 2013 11:51 am

Murray wrote:Incidentally, I've got a Nexus 10 tablet too. They talk to each other without me knowing. I was at home looking up the vnue to go and see Playloung and Joanna Gruesome in that trendy Dalston area. When I got off the Overground, I wasn't sure which way I should be heading. I looked at my phone and, without promting, it asked me if I would like to see the directions to the venue on my phone map. I was gobsmacked and also a little scared.
It's unnerving, to be sure. I was at my brother's house at the weekend and my Samsung tablet connected to his (secured) wi-fi by itself, despite my never having taken it there before. My phone had given it the password.

Wheatabeat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Wheatabeat » Wed May 22, 2013 12:35 pm

davo wrote:Clare's got a Samsung Galaxy and she hates it, but she had an iphone for a years before this and i don't think she can quite get used to a non Apple operating system. Android seems to confuse her, silly girl.
I'm probably like Clare myself. I'm crap at learning new systems quickly and that extends to other OS's too. I'm still on Windows XP!

I'm a bit of a self-confessed Apple fanboy, but that's partly because I'm "all-in" with iTunes and use my phone heavily for music and partly because the syncage between the iPad is top notch. But, I do admit they have dropped the ball a bit; Their change of charge/sync connector for one which has annoyed me. (partly greed so they can make 10000% margin etc.)

Battery life seems to be fine on the iPhone for normal stuff (the odd check of Twitter, email use, playing music in the background) but other stuff drains it like mad (sat nav, heavy browsing, video uploading). Seems to be common on all smartphones doesn't it? I heard there was a battery technology breakthrough recently which may see much longer battery life in the near future. That's gotta be the next step.

One thing I will say about the iPhone is it retains its value far better than other phone brands. The demand is still huge and I've traded mine on after the contract expired for a pretty decent amount via private sale.
Fuck your tea room.

lynsosaurus

Post by lynsosaurus » Wed May 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Wheatabeat wrote: One thing I will say about the iPhone is it retains its value far better than other phone brands. The demand is still huge and I've traded mine on after the contract expired for a pretty decent amount via private sale.
Yeah, that's one of the things I was going to say! I don't really have any recent experience of Android phones but I'm on my second iPhone now and I bloody love it. I'd also say that I don't think they're any more fragile than any other smartphone. We let the boys use our old ones when we upgraded and they've been through all sorts (several drops, the infamous iPhone-in-puddle incident at Indietracks) and are still going strong. But there's no getting away from the fact that they're more expensive than most of the other smartphones. I got a good deal on an upgrade but I imagine they cost a bloody fortune otherwise.

oasupp

Post by oasupp » Thu May 23, 2013 8:01 am

humblebee wrote:
a bag of plums wrote:prannet
Excellent word!

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini and it's lovely. Before that I had a couple of HTC phones and they were good too. Basically just about anything with an Android operating system is boss. Blackberries are clunky and counterintuitive; iPhones are overpriced and fragile.

When I got this I was looking at the HTC One as well, which seemed decent. Anyone here got a Nexus 4? Any use?

The Galaxy S4 looks insanely good. I don't want one because I'd spend all day playing on my phone and withdraw entirely from everyday life.
totally agree with nearly all of that. finally, i chose the htc one s last year, though the samsung galaxies always make the best in tests around here. to be honest: i don't care about those academic figures, my phone can do all i need it for and lots of stuff i'll never need at all. if it's second best in the laboratory it's okay for me, i chose the htc because it looked better and it has that nice metal body instead of plastic. when they're all good, i go for the looks. the samsung galaxy s4 or the htc one are just too big for me, i think they're kind of ridiculous. i ordered a galaxy s4 with my new contract but sent it back when i held it in my hands.
i know where syd barret lives

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Thu May 23, 2013 12:41 pm

I'm a massive iPhone fan and have a basically bullet proof case for it but that's mostly to protect from scratches, i don't think it's particularly fragile. The battery is not so good but this is common. Local shop will put a new battery in for £25 or I can try myself for about £6 worth if parts. I don't think there's much between iPhones and top of the range androids but Ibsen tied in due to having 6 million apps. An iPhone 4S wound probably be pretty cheap right now and it's an awesome phone.
Toot toot.

linus

Post by linus » Thu May 23, 2013 4:26 pm

and it evidently has predictive text

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Thu May 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Pfft.
Toot toot.

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Thu May 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Has anyone ever tried unlocking a mobile phone?

I've inherited my stepdaughters iphone 4 which is locked to T Mobile. My own Samsung Galaxy which is on Vodafone is knacked. I could upgrade with Vodafone but I think I've given them enough of my money over the years so I wanted to unlock the iphone and use on vodafone till my contract expires in July then go onto giffgaff.

I just rang T Mobile and they say that only the registered owner of the phone can request an unlock. I have no idea who that is as the phone is about third hand. They specifically said its not been reported stolen so it seems a bit OTT to me.

So, has anyone ever used a third party unlocking service? Are they safe and kosher like?
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

humblebee

Post by humblebee » Thu May 15, 2014 2:53 pm

leon wrote:Has anyone ever tried unlocking a mobile phone?

I've inherited my stepdaughters iphone 4 which is locked to T Mobile. My own Samsung Galaxy which is on Vodafone is knacked. I could upgrade with Vodafone but I think I've given them enough of my money over the years so I wanted to unlock the iphone and use on vodafone till my contract expires in July then go onto giffgaff.

I just rang T Mobile and they say that only the registered owner of the phone can request an unlock. I have no idea who that is as the phone is about third hand. They specifically said its not been reported stolen so it seems a bit OTT to me.

So, has anyone ever used a third party unlocking service? Are they safe and kosher like?
I've had a phone unlocked, just at one of those phone unlocky shops that you see in city centres. It was fine, no problems. Can't remember how much it cost - ten or 15 quid I think. Took a couple of hours. I just went to the pub for a bit while I waited.

Might be worth searching online first though - you can sometimes find stuff on Youtube showing you how to do it yourself.

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Thu May 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks Pete. All the little phone shops in Bradford also sell bongs and stuff, so I've always viewed them as dens of iniquity. I might have to be brave and go in one.

I don't think I'll be able to do it myself as I've just updated to the latest iOS which may have been a mistake.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"