Which laptop?

PCs, laptops, macs, mp3 players, consoles, peripherals
User avatar
hayleygerms
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:37 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/andyandhayley
Location: Nottingham!

Re: Which laptop?

Post by hayleygerms » Thu May 15, 2014 8:30 pm

LAPTOP HELP PLEASE.

Our laptop is dying a sad death so it's time to get a new one. It's been 5 years since I bought it so I'm pretty clueless about what is good/desirable in the modern laptop. Current one is a Dell Inspiron something or other, and has done pretty well to last as long as it has but to be honest it started collapsing in on itself a couple of years ago.

These are the main things we do with our laptop and want to continue doing with a new one:

Store music/pictures/tv programmes (we also have an external hard drive which is due an upgrade too so will be getting a new one along with the laptop, probably a 1TB one)
Rip and burn CDs, burn DVDs
Andy does stuff to make his drawings look magical, not Photoshop but something similar (this also means the screen needs to be fairly big and clear)
Play games
Play music (important as our front room has no space for a stereo)


Questions I have:

1. All the laptops we have looked at so far state that they have a DVD/RW drive - does this mean we can burn DVDs and also burn/rip CDs? (I know that's probably a dumb question but it's not something either of us pay attention to)
2. What brands of laptop are good, what brands should we avoid?
3. Our current laptop overheats and turns itself off a lot, it started doing this maybe 2/3 years ago so we bought a stand that raises it off the table and also has a fan in it. Is it worth getting another one of these (current one is knackered and part of it has melted) or are laptops sophisticated enough now to not have to do this?
you buried my son under a knicker factory

User avatar
This Is Helena
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:38 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tout_va_bien
Contact:

Re: Which laptop?

Post by This Is Helena » Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 pm

hayleygerms wrote:LAPTOP HELP PLEASE.



Questions I have:

1. All the laptops we have looked at so far state that they have a DVD/RW drive - does this mean we can burn DVDs and also burn/rip CDs? (I know that's probably a dumb question but it's not something either of us pay attention to)
2. What brands of laptop are good, what brands should we avoid?
3. Our current laptop overheats and turns itself off a lot, it started doing this maybe 2/3 years ago so we bought a stand that raises it off the table and also has a fan in it. Is it worth getting another one of these (current one is knackered and part of it has melted) or are laptops sophisticated enough now to not have to do this?
1. If it has DVD/RW it'll do what you want
2. Lots of people say that Lenovo are a good brand. Although I have no experience with them myself.
3. As your laptop is quite old it's most likely full of dust and it's also possible that the heat sink has started to come away from the cpu. Extra cooling is generally good but as far as I know most cpus run cooler these days. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be able to provide more information.

Hope this helps.
be popular play pop

User avatar
knibbles
Posts: 1043
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:46 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham

Re: Which laptop?

Post by knibbles » Thu May 15, 2014 9:39 pm

I just buy whatever second to bottom of the range Toshiba laptop is on offer in PC World. Toshiba ones always seem to be okay.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

User avatar
hayleygerms
Posts: 832
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:37 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/andyandhayley
Location: Nottingham!

Re: Which laptop?

Post by hayleygerms » Thu May 15, 2014 10:13 pm

This Is Helena wrote:
hayleygerms wrote:LAPTOP HELP PLEASE.



Questions I have:

1. All the laptops we have looked at so far state that they have a DVD/RW drive - does this mean we can burn DVDs and also burn/rip CDs? (I know that's probably a dumb question but it's not something either of us pay attention to)
2. What brands of laptop are good, what brands should we avoid?
3. Our current laptop overheats and turns itself off a lot, it started doing this maybe 2/3 years ago so we bought a stand that raises it off the table and also has a fan in it. Is it worth getting another one of these (current one is knackered and part of it has melted) or are laptops sophisticated enough now to not have to do this?
1. If it has DVD/RW it'll do what you want
2. Lots of people say that Lenovo are a good brand. Although I have no experience with them myself.
3. As your laptop is quite old it's most likely full of dust and it's also possible that the heat sink has started to come away from the cpu. Extra cooling is generally good but as far as I know most cpus run cooler these days. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be able to provide more information.

Hope this helps.
That is really helpful, thank you! I suspected as much re the DVD/RW, it's always good to check though!
you buried my son under a knicker factory

User avatar
linus
Posts: 2490
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Which laptop?

Post by linus » Fri May 16, 2014 2:20 pm

I'm looking at this one but I dunno...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-n ... 7-pdt.html

I think this has more to do with my fear of parting with money than anything else

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10539
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Which laptop?

Post by humblebee » Fri May 16, 2014 2:43 pm

a fog of ideas wrote:I'm looking at this one but I dunno...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-n ... 7-pdt.html

I think this has more to do with my fear of parting with money than anything else
Looks alright but it is just a standard screen size I think.

User avatar
linus
Posts: 2490
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:55 pm

Re: Which laptop?

Post by linus » Fri May 16, 2014 3:12 pm

I would prefer a larger screen size, 15.6 is what we have and it serves it's purpose ok, the larger screen is more of a 'bonus' but all the 'plus size' laptops I've found are beyond my price range really...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests