Which laptop?

PCs, laptops, macs, mp3 players, consoles, peripherals
Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Re: Which laptop?

Post by Damian » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 am

humblebee wrote:Which laptop? I'll tell you. A home-made Commodore 64 laptop, that's which laptop.
That is phenomenal, really.

I had a Spectrum as a kid, and never ever wanted a C64, but now I do. It's oddly beautiful.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:16 am

humblebee wrote:Which laptop? I'll tell you. A home-made Commodore 64 laptop, that's which laptop.
It's blocked from work - I want to see now!
Damian wrote:I had a Spectrum as a kid, and never ever wanted a C64
Me too, though I secretly preferred my Acorn Election (cheaper BBC Micro).

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:22 am

tonieee wrote:
It's blocked from work - I want to see now!
Damian wrote:I had a Spectrum as a kid, and never ever wanted a C64
Me too, though I secretly preferred my Acorn Election (cheaper BBC Micro).
It's ace tony. I've attached an image.

I had an Electron. Played Elite on it for days on end.
Attachments
c64_hero.jpg
In Recordeo Speramus

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 am

My cousin had a BBC micro, and I have much fonder memories of it than my C64. Possibly because we still have Chuckie Egg marathons when we meet up for family occasions.

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 am

Uncle Ants wrote:It's ace tony. I've attached an image.
Thanks. That's cool. Why don't they make modern computers that look that good?
Uncle Ants wrote:I had an Electron. Played Elite on it for days on end.
Me too, though I only had a pirated version and could never figure out how to get galactic hyperspace to work. When we got a Spectrum, I bought it for that and played it forever. I was still playing the same game in the mid 90s but never quite made it to Elite! I've recently started playing the BBC version on an emulator.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 am

tonieee wrote:
Uncle Ants wrote:It's ace tony. I've attached an image.
Thanks. That's cool. Why don't they make modern computers that look that good?
Uncle Ants wrote:I had an Electron. Played Elite on it for days on end.
Me too, though I only had a pirated version and could never figure out how to get galactic hyperspace to work. When we got a Spectrum, I bought it for that and played it forever. I was still playing the same game in the mid 90s but never quite made it to Elite! I've recently started playing the BBC version on an emulator.
To get to Elite, you simply have to play it for an awful long time. There's actually a stage above Elite called Archangel ... when you get to Elite there are 3 or 4 missions for the Galactic Navy against the Thargoids (really tough ones) that you get sent on, and I think completing these gets you to Archangel. I think this may not apply to all versions of Elite though. I can't remember how to get the Galactic Hyperspace to work, but I remember it was very expensive and only worked once. There were 7 galaxies I think, but tbf, they were all exactly the same.

Edit: though thinking about it the missions may have only been a feature of the IBM PC version I had later and played when I should have been doing my technician job.
In Recordeo Speramus

tonieee

Post by tonieee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:00 am

Uncle Ants wrote:To get to Elite, you simply have to play it for an awful long time.
I got to the level before elite (deadly I think) and was stuck there forever. I remember reading somewhere that to get to each level took twice as long as to get to the level before - so getting from deadly to elite took twice as long as it took to get from the beginning to deadly.
Uncle Ants wrote:There's actually a stage above Elite called Archangel ... when you get to Elite there are 3 or 4 missions for the Galactic Navy against the Thargoids (really tough ones) that you get sent on, and I think completing these gets you to Archangel. I think this may not apply to all versions of Elite though.
I've never heard of archangel before so perhaps it does only apply to the PC version. There was a cheat key on the Spectrum version to get the Thargoids to attack you in Hyperspace and you could use that to get lots of extra kill points (if you survived, which was quite hard!)
Uncle Ants wrote:I can't remember how to get the Galactic Hyperspace to work, but I remember it was very expensive and only worked once. There were 7 galaxies I think, but tbf, they were all exactly the same.
There wasn't much difference between the galaxies but I did hear a rumour that there was a generation ship in galaxy 7 so I spent a lot of time looking for that. One of the missions on the Spectrum version required you to have galactic hyperspace to escape a sun going super nova.
Uncle Ants wrote:Edit: though thinking about it the missions may have only been a feature of the IBM PC version I had later and played when I should have been doing my technician job.
There were missions on the BBC and Spectrum versions. The Electron didn't have them though and it missed out a few other features too such as the sun.

This is quite off topic - perhaps there should be an Elite thread. I really want to go home and play Elite now!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Woooooooooot.

My laptop is knackered and it's doing my nut in. I could get a proper grown up desk top PC but I don't have a chair in my room. Or a desk. Or any kind of table.

I don't really know owt about computers AT ALL. I mainly use my laptop for fannying about on the interwebz, d/lings bit of music and some film torrents. I upload CDs but I've never really got on with listening to music on a computer (I suppose if I could get round to setting up some sort of futuristic system I could though). Ummm, I sometimes watch DVDs, I'd wanna be able to burn cds again, do a bit of stuff with Photoshop and/or Gimp and maybe even record some music (but really, really basically - nothing mental with 100s of tracks).

I think that's about all I'd ever use a laptop for. So, um, yea... I'd quite like to get one that isn't the worst of the worst eco-wise and that. I mean, I suppose there are no electronics manufacturers that have decent labour practices or green policies, but it'd be nice if that were some sort of option. I looked up EPEAT and found it hard to find anything whhere that was in the spec of the laptop.

Someone just tell which what I should buy so I don;t have to do any thingking, please. This IS a consumer capitalist society we live in, after all.

Um.

Thanks?
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:08 pm

This is a couple of years old:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g ... ly-ethical

But it might help.
not really here

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Cheers, Trev. Looks like Viglen and Aries are the way to go.

Not that I can afford anything at the moment, but I suppose it's best to research these things. What sort of spec is decent? I mean, I don;t play games or edit videos so would 4GB RAM be a waste or is that pretty much stabdard now?

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:36 pm

roundbitsofplastic wrote: so would 4GB RAM be a waste or is that pretty much stabdard now?
Pretty much standard, these days, I'd say. And going for less won't lower costs by much (if at all).
not really here

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:50 pm

What's cheap and decent then. My laptop keeps turning itself off at random intervals and is apparently not worth repairing. In a way I don't really care about spec because it'll be a whole lot better than my last one just by virtue of coming out 3 years later and I was perfectly happy with my old one. I mean a couple of USB ports are always nice but I don't ask for much otherwise. I'd like it not to break and be cheap really.

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:38 pm

I wonder if those new chromebooks will be any good.
Toot toot.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:31 pm

They're all the bloomin' same really, aren't they? That's my conclusion.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:45 pm

But how do they compare to crappy netbooks?
Toot toot.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: ethical laptops

I buggered about with mine (deleted programs I don't use, got rid of AVG, defragged, generally tidied up) and it's a whole BUTTLOAD better. So cos of this I've saved energy and that, and work practices wouldn't be an issue. It's temporary as my keyboard is knackered, the hard drive is nearly full, and the CD Burner is knackerd. But for now it's running way faster and starts up in a fraction of the time, no programs have crashed lately either :-)

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:18 pm

Do you not have a virus scanner?
Toot toot.

tonieee

Re: Re: Which laptop?

Post by tonieee » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:16 am

roundbitsofplastic wrote:It's temporary as my keyboard is knackered, the hard drive is nearly full, and the CD Burner is knackerd.
You could get external versions of all three of them if it's otherwise working fine and you want to save money. That's what I've got on my netbook as it has no cd drive, the hard disk is really small and the keyboard died after dropping it on the floor for the third time. It is a pain having to use an external keyboard but I've lived with it for over a year. The other two you don't need plugged in all the time (and I can't have them all at once because I only have 3 USB ports and the cd drive takes two). You could probably get them all for just over £100.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:35 am

Gordon wrote:Do you not have a virus scanner?
I run Malware Bytes every day or two.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

roundbitsofplastic

Re: Re: Which laptop?

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:36 am

tonieee wrote:You could get external versions of all three of them if it's otherwise working fine and you want to save money.
I considered that but it all seems like quite a faff. I might still do it, mind.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip