Cars Can Be Nice

like, y'know, crafty stuff, exercise, walking, gardening...
obo-bobolina
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Cars Can Be Nice

Post by obo-bobolina » Tue Nov 25, 2008 14:28

My car has gone away to be mended after a nasty skip lorry crushed me the other week. In the meantime I'll be tootling about in a mini. Murphy wont be happy with the size of his lair (aka the boot) but at least it'll be easy to park I guess. And when I get my own car back it'll seem all lovely and spacious and fast again. Yay.
Give over.

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Tue Nov 25, 2008 14:53

Sorry to hear that - it's rubbish losing your car. I hope it's all fixed quickly.

obo-bobolina

Post by obo-bobolina » Fri Dec 05, 2008 15:38

I got my car back a couple of days ago but the repair job was well shonky. My lovely car was only ten weeks old and in tip top showroom condition before the divot drove into me so I made them take it back. I expect my car to be perfect again. They've left me with a bloody volvo S40 this time. Most grown up car ever. I'm in a sulk.
Give over.

jayen_aitch

Post by jayen_aitch » Fri Dec 05, 2008 17:38

I can imagine, that's very annoying.

Who's paying for the repair?

Talking about shonky. The day after my accident I asked for my tax disc from my written off car to be sent to me.

"Never mind that," The insurance company fellow said. "We'll send you everything from your car, including the tax disc"

Oh great, fair enough, that sounds great.

Three weeks later my things arrive, but no tax disc.

"Don't worry, what's happened is..." They alleged. "The disc has been sent off to the DVLA for a refund in your name, as the month was about to end and we didn't want you to miss out."

Well, that was surprising as I had specifically asked them to send it to me, but I can see the logic, just about, albeit through a thick fog of scepticism.

Should I give them the benefit of the doubt, I wondered.

Several more weeks went by and still no tax disc.

So shwmae Abertawe, today I decided that it's time to call the DVLA.

I learnt that yes, my tax disc has been sent in, yes, a refund has been issued, but not to me.

It's been issued to someone else, and they can't tell me who - which surprisingly, although indignant, I do to some degree understand - despite it being my car, and my license.

Unfortunately, when I phoned the insurance company, the correct department had just left for the weekend. But I have logged my feelings on the matter.

I would very much like to know:
-Why was the disc not sent to me as asked for and promised?
-Who has claimed the money?
-How did this happen?
-How are they going to rectify the problem?

They are due to call me back on Monday morning.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Wed Dec 31, 2008 15:21

I had to phone a breakdown service yesterday because my car just wouldn't start. First of all it wouldn't start in the morning, so I had to borrow Mum's car to take my sister to the airport, but I put it down to the cold weather. Then it still wouldn't start when I was meant to be driving back home with Sarah, so I paid up and got a big fat man to start it for me. Apparently, and the bloke was certain of this from the moment he turned the key, the car was "confused" because it had been backed out of a driveway and re-parked. Apparently a very short trip, such as a few yards, causes the engine chip to have slightly weird or insufficient information in it, and that combined with the very cold weather yesterday has done this to lots of cars. So he kept trying until the engine started, which it eventually did.

My mother was very concerned and offered to lend me money for a new car, although I'd kind of told myself I'd keep the current car until it becomes economically unsound. I'm not sure what to do though, really. I drive a lot of miles commuting, so perhaps a car with better fuel efficiency would save me some money. Maybe it would have lower road tax as well, although I'm currently on £110 or something on the old scheme, and I've not really studied how the new scheme works. On the other hand, it would probably cost more to insure, plus I'd have to borrow money from a bank, mother or car finance company in order to do it. And I'd be very tempted to get something slightly larger or slightly faster or something (not difficult, as I currently have a 1.2l Corsa), so the fuel efficiency gains wouldn't be that good anyway and I'd end up spending extra to get a better car.

Are there really good car deals out there because of the recession? Or are people still driving cars and just not buying new ones, so 2nd-hand cars are the same price as ever? And if I did buy a car, what's good? I guess low mileage is what I need, so that means a few grand whatever I go for. I'd love to think I could drive around in something flashy like a Golf, but realistically that's for people a few social-scale levels up from me.

Or... Should I keep the car I've got and buy a cheap classic car as well? That would give me a spare car for when the Corsa dies and would be much more fun. Plus it would at least go wrong for proper reasons like spark plugs dying and big ends dropping off, and wouldn't just refuse to start with some wank excuse involving chips and sensors and other high-tech fannying.

jayen_aitch

Post by jayen_aitch » Wed Dec 31, 2008 16:22

Concrete wrote:I had to phone a breakdown service yesterday because my car just wouldn't start. First of all it wouldn't start in the morning, so I had to borrow Mum's car to take my sister to the airport, but I put it down to the cold weather. Then it still wouldn't start when I was meant to be driving back home with Sarah, so I paid up and got a big fat man to start it for me.
I know naff all about cars, although having my grandmother's old set of wheels has taught me a thing or two, and until we got into confused chips territory I was for a second going to ask if it was possible there was a cheap problem like a slack alternator belt which should cost next to nothing to fix. I recently got my belt replaced and a new battery put in for a total of £70 and the previously unwilling to start car is now full of pep from the moment I turn the key in the ignition.

But if it is an on-board computer problem I have no idea.

I tried shopping around for a second-hand car a couple of months ago (before this one was offered to me) and I'm sorry to say that at that point the downturn seemed to have had no pleasing effect on car prices - some friends who were car shopping at the same time came to the same conclusion - but maybe things have moved on since then.

Good luck with it.

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 16:44

Concrete wrote: My mother was very concerned and offered to lend me money for a new car, although I'd kind of told myself I'd keep the current car until it becomes economically unsound. I'm not sure what to do though, really. I drive a lot of miles commuting, so perhaps a car with better fuel efficiency would save me some money. Maybe it would have lower road tax as well, although I'm currently on £110 or something on the old scheme, and I've not really studied how the new scheme works.
Go for a diesel instead, but ensure it is a small-ish engine so you're not getting hammered for insurance and tax. Focus's do decent diesels as far as I know.

Anyway, my latest problem has happened due to the adapter I'd been using to play my iPod through my car radio. The end had come off in the cigarette lighter socket and as I was fishing the little nut out of it I seem to have short circuited both the cigarette lighter socket and the car radio as both won't work now. I do hope it's just a fuse I've blown.
Fuck your tea room.

jayen_aitch

Post by jayen_aitch » Wed Dec 31, 2008 17:52

Urgh, that is annoying, I hope you get the ability to have music in the car with you back soon.

wyvern

Post by wyvern » Tue Jan 06, 2009 18:12

I'm off cars for the moment having bumped my hire car yesterday. There goes all my spending money this month...
Sing as if you live in the early days of a better nation

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25

Help me, Anorak...

I've been to see a car over in west Wiltshire, quite liked it and that, can't see how it's unsuitable for me in any way, and I'm able to finance it. It's a Toyota Corolla hatchback, the last version which looked a little like a Golf or something, 3 years old, average mileage, good price. For some reason I'm stalling over trading in my 10-year-old Corsa for it. I've thought about stuff like my own car being near the end of its life and how the trade-in value is only going to go down, and I've looked up future depreciation and all sorts, found out it won't change my insurance costs... What have I failed to consider, and why haven't I just phoned up the garage and told them I want to buy it? Is it just that I've become attached to my current little grannymobile?

Sylvie

Post by Sylvie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 18:47

Oh god. I've been drooling over cars because Andrew's been looking at them lately. I can drive, but haven't got my license yet. I quite liked the look of Figaros, mainly because they're the most retro looking cars I've seen around in recent years (although they were built almost 20 years ago...) Anyway, whilst doing a search for Figaros on eBay I found another retro styled car/van that was also built at the Pyke factory in Japan. The S-Cargo! It would make a great work van - if I ever decided to go into the cake making business then I think this might be the one for me

After a bit more research, I also found the Pao. I love this one and now I'm kind of a bit bored with the Figaro. The first car of this series was the Be-1, but they didn't do a good job with it really.

Suzuki showed a car in Tokyo, which looks amazing, but was never put into production sadly. The interior is spot on!

I can't help but feel that Nissan and Suzuki are a bit silly. The new Mini, Beetles and Fiat 500 have been very popular whereas Nissan did it in 1989, but only for a couple of years in Japan. I'm so sick of modern cars - I don't actually understand how people can spend so much money on something so ugly.
Just be nice to me.

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 01:10

Sylvie wrote:
Suzuki showed a car in Tokyo, which looks amazing, but was never put into production sadly. The interior is spot on!

That's a Nissan Micra!
Fuck your tea room.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:26

Wheatabeat wrote:That's a Nissan Micra!
It's smaller, I think, based on the Suzuki Alto rather than the Swift. I just think these cars look cool inside - no bulbous dashes, just a shelf with a radio bolted onto it, like the Minis my schoolfriends used to drive. There's something cute about Mini-sized cars as well; the new Mini isn't bad, in that it's modern, safe, drives well and still looks distinctive, but it's about twice the size of the old one (though still not big enough for even a space-saving spare wheel, let alone a proper one).

If I lived and worked in a city, I'd be tempted to get one of those Nissans above. They make me think of Zastavas or Fiat 600s or something, but they have a back that folds out like an Austin A40. Sadly I drive 200 miles a week getting to work and back, so they're not practical.

Talking of which, Wheatabeat - you were after the same sort of practical, medium-sized hatchback last year that I'm looking for now. What did you buy in the end? I don't really want a diesel, as I don't believe the "green" hype about them - yes, they might be better for the greenhouse effect, but they spit out soot like nobody's business, even the brand-new, top-of-the-range ones.

Jono Volpone
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Jono2cv

Post by Jono Volpone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 14:15

Ah, the S-Cargo, which was Nissan's modern take on the 2cv - hence its name (Escargot being French for snail, and 2cvs are known as Tin Snails).
The horses just don't gossip anymore

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Sun Feb 08, 2009 14:17

Concrete wrote: Talking of which, Wheatabeat - you were after the same sort of practical, medium-sized hatchback last year that I'm looking for now. What did you buy in the end? I don't really want a diesel, as I don't believe the "green" hype about them - yes, they might be better for the greenhouse effect, but they spit out soot like nobody's business, even the brand-new, top-of-the-range ones.
Ooh yeah. I bought a Toyota Corrola, but the 3 door version which looks a bit more sportier than the other ones. If you do lots of driving, a diesel would be miles (Sorry, pun) better, but as a car I'm more than happy with it, was much more value for money than a A3 or Golf. They've changed that to the Auris or something now.

Mind you, I've done 10,000 miles in 6 months which is worryingly high!
Fuck your tea room.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sun Feb 08, 2009 15:56

Wheatabeat wrote:Ooh yeah. I bought a Toyota Corrola, but the 3 door version which looks a bit more sportier than the other ones. If you do lots of driving, a diesel would be miles (Sorry, pun) better, but as a car I'm more than happy with it, was much more value for money than a A3 or Golf. They've changed that to the Auris or something now.
Well, that's all good to know. I basically can't afford a Golf with under 50,000 miles on it, so I've looked at a couple of 3 to 4 year old Corollas (one 3-door, one 5-door). I've also looked at a Polo, but it felt a bit cramped inside - the thing that always surprises me with cars is that a car can be a fair bit bigger than what you're used to on the outside, but still have less legroom and bootspace. I don't need a massive car, but it still needs to fit a drumkit in the back from time to time. And I looked at a 307, but I'm not sure it's quite what I want. Although if I were to be converted to the Church of Diesel, Peugeot diesels aren't as bad as their petrol models, allegedly.

obo-bobolina

Post by obo-bobolina » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:12

Sylvie wrote:Oh god. I've been drooling over cars because Andrew's been looking at them lately. I can drive, but haven't got my license yet. I quite liked the look of Figaros, mainly because they're the most retro looking cars I've seen around in recent years (although they were built almost 20 years ago...)
I loved my Figaro, it was super cute, but totally impractical given the mileage I do, hence I sold it. There are so many duff ones in the UK now, too. Most of the ones that have been imported have been picked up cheap at auction in Japan after accidents and have a lot of miles on the clock. Many need their roof and stereo replacing by now. If you do decide to get one of the retro Japanese cars (any of them, not just the Figgies), be very careful and do lots of research to make sure you get a good one.

My dad's Karmann Ghia is nearly finished. He bought it 18 months ago in pieces and has gradually been rebuilding it and making it rally safe. I can't wait to have a go in it. I've wanted one for so long now. They're just so sleek and pretty.
Give over.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Wed Feb 11, 2009 18:04

I hate cars so likely shouldn't be posting in this thread. Too many stupid things go stupid wrong with them.

BUT, having a stepfather who is awesome and will do most repairs is beyond nice. He totally saved me and replaced my dead, dead, dead superdead battery, which saved me some cash for sure.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Wed Feb 11, 2009 18:17

squirrelboutique wrote:I hate cars so likely shouldn't be posting in this thread. Too many stupid things go stupid wrong with them.

BUT, having a stepfather who is awesome and will do most repairs is beyond nice. He totally saved me and replaced my dead, dead, dead superdead battery, which saved me some cash for sure.
Yeah, cars are dumb. I don't technically need one but it's darn useful round here. MOT time coming up. Many pleasant surprises await I'm sure.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Sun Feb 15, 2009 17:47

I've finally committed to buying a car, and after all my talk of getting something bigger because of all the motorway driving I do, I ended up with something only inches bigger than my Corsa, albeit with a bigger engine. So, it's a VW Polo 1.4SE, which is a reasonably gadgety version, 12,000 miles/3 years old. I figured I'm not going to get a much better car for £5000 and the process of searching was getting to me so I just decided at lunchtime today that enough was enough and I would have a new car this week.