Running

like, y'know, crafty stuff, exercise, walking, gardening...
indiansummer
Posts: 6657
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:52 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue
Location: from Liverpool / in Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Running

Post by indiansummer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 am

i used to get up earlyish and go do a few laps of the (small) park at the end of our road

at the minute i'm getting up at 5:45 four mornings a week to go to the gym prior to work. it was AWFUL for the first week or so, but i'm sort-of used to it now. i've been doing it since the start of january and seem to have turned it into a routine, which is good as i don't moan about the idea of it so much

so yeh... 'before work' is my top tip
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

Carys
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:27 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Running

Post by Carys » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:49 am

indiansummer wrote:at the minute i'm getting up at 5:45 four mornings a week to go to the gym prior to work. it was AWFUL for the first week or so, but i'm sort-of used to it now. i've been doing it since the start of january and seem to have turned it into a routine, which is good as i don't moan about the idea of it so much

so yeh... 'before work' is my top tip
Wow. That's commitment right there!

If only my gym opened so early. It's 7.30am on weekdays and 10am at weekends! So I gym two week nights and one weekend day, trying to alternate between running and gymning.

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Running

Post by humblebee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:24 am

I HAVE DONE THIS.

First time. This morning, about 7 o'clock. Google Maps says it was 1.25km. Google Maps doesn't take into account two very steep climbs at the start and then the end.

I feel good. Apart from my lungs and throat. I was coughing for a while after. But apart from that I feel good.

What's the catch?

Carys
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:27 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Running

Post by Carys » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Great start! Well done!

Silver Girl
Posts: 902
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:36 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Sh-Sh-Sheffield

Re: Running

Post by Silver Girl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 am

humblebee wrote:I HAVE DONE THIS.

First time. This morning, about 7 o'clock. Google Maps says it was 1.25km. Google Maps doesn't take into account two very steep climbs at the start and then the end.

I feel good. Apart from my lungs and throat. I was coughing for a while after. But apart from that I feel good.

What's the catch?
Hurrah! Well done you! Do you want to join our Walkley running group? We're calling it Macho Running is Stupid (as long as Tonieee doesn't mind).
The trick is to run up Springvale Road right at the beginning, then it's only downhill again.
"I don't know who you're talking about..."

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Running

Post by humblebee » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:46 am

Aw thanks you two!

I haven't checked out Couch to 5k because it all seems to be podcast-based, and if I'm honest I find podcasts a bit of a pain in the arse these days. There are loads of apps called that, but they all seem to have been developed by privateers and pirates.

Leila, is that a real thing? I'm lolling, but that doesn't mean it's not real.

Carys
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:27 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Running

Post by Carys » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Right, so. I'm running 5k in about 30 minutes, three times a week, and I'd like to build up to 10k.

I was thinking I'd try and do two 5k runs on weekdays, and then on weekends start building up maybe 0.5km each week until I get to 10k. So essentially, two 'short' runs and a long run each week.

Does this sound sensible? Will 10k be too hard if I'm only doing it once a week? Today I ran 6k and didn't die, so...

User avatar
tonieee
Posts: 4479
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:40 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee
Location: Sheffield Sex City
Contact:

Re: Running

Post by tonieee » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:13 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
humblebee wrote:I HAVE DONE THIS.

First time. This morning, about 7 o'clock. Google Maps says it was 1.25km. Google Maps doesn't take into account two very steep climbs at the start and then the end.

I feel good. Apart from my lungs and throat. I was coughing for a while after. But apart from that I feel good.

What's the catch?
Hurrah! Well done you! Do you want to join our Walkley running group? We're calling it Macho Running is Stupid (as long as Tonieee doesn't mind).
The trick is to run up Springvale Road right at the beginning, then it's only downhill again.
Just seen this. I don't mind as long as you pay me royalties. Or switch to running up Blake Street instead of Springvale Road!

Silver Girl
Posts: 902
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:36 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Sh-Sh-Sheffield

Re: Running

Post by Silver Girl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:17 am

Carys wrote:Right, so. I'm running 5k in about 30 minutes, three times a week, and I'd like to build up to 10k.

I was thinking I'd try and do two 5k runs on weekdays, and then on weekends start building up maybe 0.5km each week until I get to 10k. So essentially, two 'short' runs and a long run each week.

Does this sound sensible? Will 10k be too hard if I'm only doing it once a week? Today I ran 6k and didn't die, so...
You probably can run 10k if you take it steady. I used to run around a lake that I knew was a 5k circuit. So one week I ran around it twice as a challenge. Nothing bad happened and I made it around - bit of an anti-climax really!
One tip I'd give is run along a bus route that goes near your house, take your bus pass out with you and just run as far as you can be bothered. Then you can jump on the bus back.

(And Toniee - I think running up Blake would actually be easier than Springvale because it's steeper but it's 3 times shorter!)
"I don't know who you're talking about..."

Carys
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:27 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Running

Post by Carys » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks Silvergirl. Because I'm mostly off work at the moment, I've been running along the Thames Path from Wapping - London Bridge - Rotherhithe (about 6km). My plan is to extend my run each week by crossing at the next bridge (Southwark, Millennium, Blackfriars, Waterloo). I think Wapping - Waterloo - Rotherhithe is about 10k.

It's really very pleasant. I go past Tower Bridge, the Tower of London, the town hall, lots of wharfs...

Once I'm back at work full-time I'll be able to do a 10k on the weekend and a couple of 5ks before work I expect.

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:35 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: Running

Post by RITH » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Giving this another try. New running shoes and all that. Springtime, here I come.

Carys
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:27 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Running

Post by Carys » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:01 pm

Good luck, RITH. I have my first half marathon on Sunday - eep!

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:35 am
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: Running

Post by RITH » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Ooh, look at you go. Good luck!

Carys
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:27 pm
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Running

Post by Carys » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks! I can't believe I managed it! My next one is in seven weeks...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests