Hi-Fi Hardware - Turntables, Valves & Tapes

like, y'know, crafty stuff, exercise, walking, gardening...
tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Re: Hi-Fi Hardware - Turntables, Valves & Tapes

Post by tompony » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 am

I've got a phono stage. It's got a blue LED on it. I recommend you get one that doesn't have a blue LED on it because it's fucking annoying.

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 am

No blue LED, sound advice. I think there really is a market for products that don't turn your living room into a discotheque. Having a dance is great, but sometimes you just want it dark and peaceful - like when guests are trying to sleep there.

The stereo I have at the moment has only a line in. Upgrading the stereo is something I am considering too. Perhaps these are decisions which should be made in the same mental breath.

Concrete

Post by Concrete » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:11 pm

jayen_aitch wrote:The stereo I have at the moment has only a line in. Upgrading the stereo is something I am considering too. Perhaps these are decisions which should be made in the same mental breath.
Yes. Don't buy a phono stage then buy an amp with a phono input straight afterwards. It may sound better with a dedicated phono stage and a line-level input, but it's not likely to be significant, from what I've read. If I lived near you I'd sell you an amp.

Speaking of which... Anyone got any opinions on where to sell old hi-fi? I have twice as many speakers as I need and am thinking of selling one integrated amp and maybe one power amp as well. All from the turn of the millennium, all Arcam or B&W. Is Ebay good for this, or is there somewhere else that would be better?

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:56 pm

O.K., anyone else still play tapes?

I had a deck that's about 15 years old that's packing up, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm not sure it seems worth trying to get it repaired, it's hard to find places that do it and it costs a lot, but I don't know what to do in terms of getting a new one either, what stuff there is seems to be expensive. I saw this, but the fact that it is so much cheaper than everything else makes me wonder if it would just fall apart the second I set it up.

Of course there's the £40 (or less) on eBay route, but my experience has been that tape players moulder and go shit the longer they're in existence without much reference to how much they're used, so an old one might not be so great. Has anyone got experience buying 2nd hand decks?

Since it packed up, I've been plugging a ten year old Walkman into my amp and this seems to be better than anything you might spend two hundred quid on. I wish I could get an endless supply of them. In fact, it might be wise just to stick with this.

Anyway, ideas?

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:25 pm

In what way is it packing up? I have a TEAC deck that appeared to be kaput, but when I opened it up it was simply that the drive belt had perished. It used to slip, then eventually gave up the ghost. At the time I didn't realise replacements were readily available, so I replaced it with one of those red rubber bands that posties use. It was extremely fiddly to replace but only required patience rather than special skill, knowledge or equipment. The posties rubber band has now perished too so I need to buy a genuine belt.

While I'm in this thread, my turntable has developed a problem with the tone arm. It gets stuck halfway through a 12" record and won't play without skipping after that. I've been enjoying the first two and a half songs on each side of an album but its really not the same. Anyone have any experience of a similar fault?
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:29 pm

I bought a second-hand ebay tape deck. I sorted by "closest first", bid on the top one and got it for about £15, and since they were local anyway, the seller dropped it off at my flat. It's a twin-deck one and one of them sounds great, the other is a bit muffled but probably just needs the heads cleaning or something.

But yeah, I'd say it's probably worth the risk to get a second hand one considering how cheaply they sell for.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:44 pm

leon wrote:In what way is it packing up?
The sound's gone muddy and bitty - cue jokes about shit tape sound and at first I thought it was that, I was playing some stuff that was about 20 years old (and one was 'Sebadoh III', which kinda sounds like that anyway), but then I put the new Trust Fund thing on and that sounded shit as well, so I fished out this Walkman and they all sounded fine.

It's a twin deck and there's only one left. because the other one did this last year and eventually started slowing down and chewing stuff up, so that's probably where this one's going. Head cleaning isn't really going to work I think, in fact whenever a tape player starts going funny, I clean the heads and it never makes a blind bit of difference, I'm sure those tapes are just a racket. Anyway, it's probably heading for the bin.
leon wrote:While I'm in this thread, my turntable has developed a problem with the tone arm. It gets stuck halfway through a 12" record and won't play without skipping after that. I've been enjoying the first two and a half songs on each side of an album but its really not the same. Anyone have any experience of a similar fault?
I've had something ages ago when the bearings in the arm were broken and it would slip at times, but that doesn't sound like this. It does sound like it might be something else inside where the arm pivots though. Can you play a 7 or does it just do that all the time after a certain point?
tompony wrote:I bought a second-hand ebay tape deck. I sorted by "closest first", bid on the top one and got it for about £15, and since they were local anyway, the seller dropped it off at my flat. It's a twin-deck one and one of them sounds great, the other is a bit muffled but probably just needs the heads cleaning or something.

But yeah, I'd say it's probably worth the risk to get a second hand one considering how cheaply they sell for.
Yeah, I'll probably end up doing this, at least when I get fed up with the Walkman. I could probably buy about 5 or 6 for what you'd pay for the cheapest new one, and one of them'd be bound to be okay. But if anyone knows what's wrong with this one, advice would be greatly appreciated.