Board Games!

like, y'know, crafty stuff, exercise, walking, gardening...
User avatar
Uncle Ants
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 13:04

Re: Board Games!

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Jan 16, 2009 09:52

alongwalkhome wrote: Oh, so "Ludo" must be Trouble. Isn't it strange how the games aren't called the same thing in the States? If I were in the UK and wanted to buy Trouble, I'd have had no luck.
Ah. No I think Trouble is similar to Frustration (the one wth the pop-o-matic dice etc). Ludo uses a normal flat board, a normal dice and simple round counters (a lot more low tech and a lot older). The game itself is very similar though. You send four pieces from start positions round the board and if you land on another player they get sent back.

I didn't know about Sorry - but a google tells me it's another variant on the same theme. Different board layout.
In Recordeo Speramus

alongwalkhome

Re: Board Games!

Post by alongwalkhome » Fri Jan 16, 2009 16:27

Uncle Ants wrote:Ah. No I think Trouble is similar to Frustration (the one wth the pop-o-matic dice etc). Ludo uses a normal flat board, a normal dice and simple round counters (a lot more low tech and a lot older). The game itself is very similar though. You send four pieces from start positions round the board and if you land on another player they get sent back.
Is that Parcheesi?? This thread has become the board game Tower of Babel.

User avatar
Uncle Ants
Posts: 2389
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 13:04

Re: Board Games!

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Jan 16, 2009 16:42

alongwalkhome wrote:
Uncle Ants wrote:Ah. No I think Trouble is similar to Frustration (the one wth the pop-o-matic dice etc). Ludo uses a normal flat board, a normal dice and simple round counters (a lot more low tech and a lot older). The game itself is very similar though. You send four pieces from start positions round the board and if you land on another player they get sent back.
Is that Parcheesi?? This thread has become the board game Tower of Babel.
:) According to Wiki they are all variants on Pachisi/Parcheesi. Which apparently was an Indian game the Mughal emperors played - presumably when they weren't busy with their harems and fighting each other.
In Recordeo Speramus

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 22:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by Gordon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 09:51

Seriously people, talk about Abalone

I like our games, because when I want to beat Nancy we play Othello, and when Nancy wants to beat me (or narrowly lose) we play Scrabble. If she wants to win she just needs to give me half a bottle of red wine.
Toot toot.

User avatar
soft revolution
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 18:48
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc
Location: somewhere in the bullring
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by soft revolution » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:40

Gordon wrote:Seriously people, talk about Abalone
That's such a genius concept for a game. I'd probably like it better if I'd have played it in depth and learnt loads of strategies.
gloom button wrote:everything (even um magic the gathering) was hilarious and fun
It's a hilarious and fun game! Especially when you have a millstone/lhurgoyf combo in play.

I still have my old deck somewhere.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

Carys
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 20:27
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Board Games!

Post by Carys » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:10

We collect board games, particularly vintage ones. The in-laws have an annual "Sorry" tournament on Boxing Day, which I might have won (I was in the final!) except apparently it's okay to cheat if you're an eight year old, even if everyone sees you and you're caught on camera. [/rage]

I quite like Yahtzee, I obviously love Scrabble and wish I played Risk more often, ideally late at night with some whiskey.

User avatar
squirrelboutique
Posts: 3590
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 18:05

Re: Board Games!

Post by squirrelboutique » Thu Jun 25, 2009 03:24

23% of the questions in Trivial Pursuit can be be correctly answered by shouting out the names of one of these five people:

1. Eddie Fisher
2. Charles Lindbergh
3. Nelson Rockefeller
4. Spiro Agnew
5. Rocky Marciano

Also, my strategy of answering Arnold Palmer to all golf questions works 2 out of 3 times on average.

User avatar
susanb
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 15:59
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/susanb84
Location: Lancaster

Re: Board Games!

Post by susanb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 13:18

I've been playing a bit of chess and mancala recently after getting a mancala set for my birthday. I got given a little travel chess set yesterday (a wooden one with cute little pieces that peg into the board) so I'm looking forward to playing that when I'm on the train and on holiday. I'm pretty hopeless at chess but hopefully I'll improve with a bit of practise. I really like mancala, it's so simple but I find it addictive. We normally start saying "best of 3", then it goes up to "best of 5" and on like that.

I played Glasgow monopoly the other week too. The the value of some areas really confused me, some areas I thought would be on the last side of the board were on the blue properties and vice versa. On of my friends has a board game called "war on terror" which is similar to Risk except you have the chance to become a terrorist if you're losing (or if like me you just feel like it so you can try to corrupt the other players). It's pretty good, and you can become an "evil empire" an wear a balaclava with "EVIL" written on it. I really need to buy a scrabble board or else pick my old one up from my parents house sometime, I've not played any scrabble yet this year.
I wish I could make this train
go faster than anything

User avatar
Wheatabeat
Posts: 1492
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:47
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Manchester

Re: Board Games!

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 14:12

bonjour_tristesse wrote:I used to play this game called Escape from Atlantis when I was on holiday in Wales as a kid. It was great, you were on a sinking island and had to escape on boats narrowly dodging sharks and octopi along the way!

Image
Oh BLOODY HELL! I had this too. It was quite well made wasn't it? It didn't feel as cheap as a lot of the other ones! Loads of bits in it mind.

I've not played Cluedo for about 20 years now. I want a game. I might start collecting board games in charity shops. There will be a revival of them once everyone has gotten sick of wii, computer games and the internet.
Fuck your tea room.

User avatar
La-Di-Da
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:10
Location: The 'Shire

Re: Board Games!

Post by La-Di-Da » Thu Jun 25, 2009 19:41

I'll second (third? forth? fifth?) Risk!
That game has caused more family bust ups than anything else ever.
Mostly on account of my dad (after a few too many) cheating by invading all countries at once on multiple boarders and saying it's totally in the rules and that we agreed at the beginning of the game that it was okay to play 'World Domination' like that and then my mum storming out saying she'll never play it again, only to repeat the whole ordeal next Christmas. Yay!
It's brilliant.

I also used to like Key to The Kingdom, which I guess is sort of like Dungeons and Dragons, except you don't have to be a massive nerdbrain to understand the rules (I wish I did my life would be so awesome yay) and you still get to use magic and fight dwarves and goblins and look for treasure and use grapling hooks and magic. BOSS.

More board games in pubs/clubs/clubnights please!
A lot of pubs do have board games but you always discover a vital piece missing after you've already spent an hour playing the damn thing. Like all the 'a' and 's' letters missing from Scrabble. Or the double six missing from Dominos. Balls!

Key to The Kingdom:

Image

Oh, and that board? Totally folds out to like twice the size once you go down that whirlpool. Awesome.


Interestingly enough a google search of Key to The Kingdom brought up this:
Key to the Kingdom
Church of Christ sponsored television outreach ministry.
Television outreach ministry? WHAT DOES IT EVEN MEAN?

Yay games.

User avatar
tonieee
Posts: 4497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 08:40
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee
Location: Sheffield Sex City
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by tonieee » Thu Jun 25, 2009 21:30

I played Ticket To Ride (Europe edition) the other day - a board game about steam trains. It was really good fun but I kept getting confused by the cities names being written in their native language and not in English.

After that we played B-Movie Titles card game with is very funny but not a board game so I probably shouldn't mention it here...

User avatar
alongwaltz
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 15:14
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by alongwaltz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 05:56

It might be stupid or it might be awesome but a friend and I are making a board game about zines.

Basically you have to get from your house to the zine fair, collecting four different zines along the way.

We should hopefully have the first copy done by November 1st and then we can start producing more on demand after that.

Details to come.

User avatar
soft revolution
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 18:48
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc
Location: somewhere in the bullring
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by soft revolution » Wed Oct 07, 2009 09:25

tonieee wrote:I played Ticket To Ride (Europe edition) the other day - a board game about steam trains. It was really good fun but I kept getting confused by the cities names being written in their native language and not in English.
That's such a fantastic game, I played the US edition about 6 months ago.

I keep toying with buying the Scandinavian version. There's a monster line made up of 9 trains (I think) that virtually skips from one side of the board to the other.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

User avatar
tonieee
Posts: 4497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 08:40
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee
Location: Sheffield Sex City
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by tonieee » Wed Oct 07, 2009 09:45

soft revolution wrote:
tonieee wrote:I played Ticket To Ride (Europe edition) the other day - a board game about steam trains. It was really good fun but I kept getting confused by the cities names being written in their native language and not in English.
That's such a fantastic game, I played the US edition about 6 months ago.

I keep toying with buying the Scandinavian version. There's a monster line made up of 9 trains (I think) that virtually skips from one side of the board to the other.
Have you ever played any of the empire builder games? I'm considering buying the British Rails version but I'm also tempted by the Martian one.

User avatar
soft revolution
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 18:48
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc
Location: somewhere in the bullring
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by soft revolution » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:44

tonieee wrote:Have you ever played any of the empire builder games? I'm considering buying the British Rails version but I'm also tempted by the Martian one.
No I've not, though they sound interesting? What are they?

From the same company, I played a few games of Mysteries of the Abbey recently, which is kind of like Cludo, but without the dice or the rubbish. It becomes tactical too, as identifying the murderer isn't the only way of scoring points - so being the first person to guess who did it doesn't always mean you win - and this leads to a load of bluffing. You need a good way of marking your suspects sheet :)

I also have to give a shout out to the fantastic Chrononauts
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

User avatar
tonieee
Posts: 4497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 08:40
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee
Location: Sheffield Sex City
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by tonieee » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:07

soft revolution wrote:
tonieee wrote:Have you ever played any of the empire builder games? I'm considering buying the British Rails version but I'm also tempted by the Martian one.
No I've not, though they sound interesting? What are they?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Bui ... oard_game)

You build tracks and then send trains along to buy goods. I've never played any of them but they sound good.
soft revolution wrote:From the same company, I played a few games of Mysteries of the Abbey recently, which is kind of like Cludo, but without the dice or the rubbish. It becomes tactical too, as identifying the murderer isn't the only way of scoring points - so being the first person to guess who did it doesn't always mean you win - and this leads to a load of bluffing. You need a good way of marking your suspects sheet :)
That's sounds good. I like Cluedo but Jo won't play it with me anymore because I keep "thinking" while playing. She thinks you should just make random accusations until you get the right answer.
soft revolution wrote:I also have to give a shout out to the fantastic Chrononauts
Chrononauts is a really fab game. I've only played it twice so far but really enjoyed it both times.

(I poured a cup of tea over my keyboard while typing this and it's gone all funny. I've had to pick another one and it's all scummy and mucky :()

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 22:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by Gordon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 13:24

Board games are the ultimate tool of seduction. Abalone and Othello are still in my top two of blacks vs whites excitement.
Toot toot.

User avatar
Final Loan
Posts: 656
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 16:00
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Sheffields

Re: Board Games!

Post by Final Loan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 13:27

Racist.
I may be ugly and hate-filled but... wait, what was the third thing you said?

Pockets Filled With Matches are no more, but we still have copies of our e.p. 'If Time Heals You' for sale, if you'd like one

User avatar
Gordon
Posts: 5351
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 22:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon
Location: King's Landing
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by Gordon » Thu Oct 08, 2009 13:44

I thought I was being subtle.
Toot toot.

User avatar
indiehorse
Posts: 1941
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:50
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham
Contact:

Re: Board Games!

Post by indiehorse » Thu Oct 08, 2009 14:35

Final Loan wrote:Racist.
My favourite board game racism is when you get the mission card in Risk instructing you to "kill all the blacks".

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest