That was the Indietracks 2018 that was

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Re: That was the Indietracks 2018 that was

Post by sweepingthenation » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:23 am

Even more than there being no rain for a month before Thursday night and no post-midday rain in the region since Sunday, there's no greater indication that the rain gods are out to get us specifically than the downpour being at its worst as the Just Joans started last year and as the Smittens started this year. I have a memory of a cloudburst during Tender Trap's last appearance too. The sun coming out right as Haiku Salut started Cold To Crack The Stones was A Moment, though.

I stuck most of my immediate reactions and some atmospheric photos in a Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/sweepingnation/stat ... 2715543553 Not having to dodge massive puddles for most of the area was a great boon. As ever it's the organisers, museum employees and volunteers all pulling together who make this wonderful thing what it is - I've seen a couple of people who'd never been before having glowing praise for it all, which is all you can ask.

indiehorse
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by indiehorse » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:54 am

Remember the year Stereototal invited everyone on the stage to dance with them in order to avoid the rain. Pretty rude that all the bands since haven't done that. (I appreciate it's probably not practical)

ian

Post by ian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:47 pm

The rain made this year harder going than it should have been, but it was still a wonderful weekend and I feel like Indietracks is in a very positive place. I'm excited to find out what will be on the bill next year!

This year's highlights:

The Lovely Eggs and Sacred Paws were a really uplifting start - we don't usually make it up for the Friday but took a look at the forecast and re-arranged our plans for this year. Very glad we did, as Friday was the perfect Indietracks day.

I don't know a huge amount about British Sea Power, but they were fantastic headliners.
Amber Arcades are clearly headed in a First Aid Kit/A Camp direction but I enjoyed them, and loved the first album stuff too.
Spinning Coin - I thought these were going to be too cool for school Glasgow hipsters, and was actually slightly disappointed when they weren't cooler-than-thou for some mad reason, but the songs are great.
Darren Hayman - I saw one song in the rain, but it was one perfect song in what really was the most appropriate setting for that album.
Tugboat Captain - I couldn't get into the church for them, so listened outside and they were wonderful. I'm really pleased to see the return of this kind of indie folky collective. They reminded me a bit of Stars Of Aviation.

I was sad to miss French Boutik and Mighty Kids and sad that Ex-Void didn't get to play, but it's a tribute to the excellent line-up that there's stuff you're always going to miss.

Sunday was the best day musically for me.

Tigercats, Gwenno, Anna Burch, Haiku, Girl Ray, Even As We Speak, Boyracer, and Mikey Collins being awesome in the church. Can we break the rules and get Mikey back again next year on a bigger stage please? Sad to miss Onsind and Happy Spendy. I didn't really get Honeyblood and it felt like a gulf between them and ending with Cate Le Bon last year, but so what? Indietracks does a great job of catering to loads of tastes these days, and I'm happy to accept a few bands I don't get for all the bands I love dearly.

Downs:

I missed the curry stall and the pizza stall, but the Sri Lankan van was ace and the halloumi wraps were nice too.
The new set up at the campsite got some getting used to - it was jarring that the bar was shut to be begin with - but after a while it made better sense to have a mobile bar next to a dedicated area by the disco I think. Sunday night, once I'd worked it all out, was lots of fun.
I feel like I missed chatting to loads of people who I didn't bump into so it was a slightly less social Indietracks than normal, but part of that was probably due to the rain and wanting to keep the kids happy. I can highly recommend the Warhammer centre in Nottingham on Sunday morning after four hours sleep!

Roll on next year! Thanks as always to the awesome team and volunteers!

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Nat wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:42 am
We’ll certainly look into the beer suggestions, and see if there is anything we can do to widen the selection for next year. (Trev, we’ll probably be asking you for advice on this one!)
Happy to help/advise in any way I can. :-)
not really here

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:35 pm

Nat wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:42 am
And Tonieeee - we’re all absolutely gutted to hear you had that experience. We have a really firm safety policy at Indietracks (https://www.indietracks.co.uk/about/saf ... dietracks/) and anyone spotted, or reported to us, as behaving in this way will be ejected from the festival. We’ll be highlighting our safety policy more prominently next year to make this even clearer.
Thanks Nat - it didn't really impact me that much but highlighting the policy would be good, I've not come across it before. And thank you so much for what you and all the rest of indietracks do to make the best weekend of the year every year.
humblebee wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:43 am
If you're ever in that position and need support and I'm there, let me know and I'll do whatever I can. I'm sure Dan and lots of other Anoraks would say the same.
Thanks Pete. I'm normally good at coping with such incidents - the thing that upset me was that it happened at indietracks where I thought it never would.

hansyhobs

Post by hansyhobs » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Great festival this year!

Some of my highlights included Dream Wife, BSP, Night Flowers, Linda Guilala, Amber Arcades, Colour Me Wednesday, Wolf Girl to name a few. The weather really flawed us and we ended up leaving on Sunday afternoon which was such a shame as there were several bands I really wanted to see. But once the weather gets me down it's hard to lift my mood.

I was thrilled to see extra food choices this time. In previous years I always feel like I've tried most things by the Saturday evening so it was wonderful to have so much choice this year, although I did miss pizza. The Sri Lankan van was brilliant! Thanks to the organisers for doing an amazing job and planning my favourite weekend of the year. As mentioned up thread, would love to see a bigger choice of craft beer but that is a very minor detail. Also, does anyone else in the campsite think the disco lights are too bright? It's like trying to dance in the daylight but I want to pull my terrible shapes in the safety of darkness.

joanny
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/discobloguons

Post by joanny » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:45 pm

What do we do now? Now we're ten years older.

10 Indietracks in a row, still happy to catch new bands and dance at the discos. It's always a pleasure to get off the train and walk by this station :)

This year I liked:

- The owls and parrots, always. One of them decided that my arm looked like a nice spot to stand and I felt stupidly proud and happy
- Tugboat Captain were my highlight of the year. Fantastic 60's pop-inspired songs played by people obviously happy to be there. I do hope I'll catch them again soon, they were marvellous
- Amber Arcades was a nice surprise. I was chatting with friends outside of the Indoor stage and we suddenly were like "oh it sounds pretty good, let's go and have a look..."
- British Sea Power played an impressive concert and added a nice touch of sillyness with the giant bears, I couldn't stop laughing
- Hearing again "Don't Tell Anyone" by Colour Me Wednesday, probably one of the best songs released in the last years
- The last disco in the marquee with a nice songs selection and the conga

and I didn't like / like less :

- This awful weather. It was 36°C when I packed my suitcase and I was right to take a scarf and several raincoats. The way the rain came and stayed left me offensed somehow
- Missing Even as We Speak because of sudden and massive exhaustion, I had to rest for a while in the carriage
- The Lovely Eggs set, altough I'm usually very fond of them. Maybe it was the outdoor stage, or the new songs, or it wasn't their best gig, or I'm just growing a bit tired of them
- Bringbackourpizzas

Graeme M

Post by Graeme M » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:14 pm

I'm a little late to this, but only just found this forum (although I was already registered, so clearly I'm just forgetful)

Well, what an amazing festival. My 1st. I've only known about it for a couple of years and this was the 1st I could attend.
Amazed at how friendly everyone was and how un-festival like the experience is - no litter, decent toilets, people apologising if they bump in to you!
I went alone as none of my family or friends have the same taste in music as me and I'm glad I did. I didn't feel weird for being alone and it meant I could do what I want.

My highs and lows...

Highs
- the amount of musicians that watch other bands. I was standing next to people who were in my favourite ever band of all time. I was too scared to talk to them though as I'd have nothing interesting to say other than "I loved Allo Darlin)!!
- Happy Accidents. Wow. Amazing band and I wish I'd done a bit more research on some of their songs beforehand. I loved the energy (& the songs)
- Strange New Places. Loved the music, loved the band. Said to the singer and drummer the next day how impressed I was and they seemed genuinely surprised! Don't be, you're awesome
- French Boutik - great setting, great seat near the front, wonderful music
- The Church stage in general
- Onsind - fantastic set, really enjoyable
- Marble Season's Mamma Mia / Reach mega mix
Oh and just so much more, especially the Lovely Eggs.

The weather didn't bother me and didn't stop me seeing who I wanted to see. I brought a brolly in knowing I wouldn't need to carry it around all day as I could just leave it somewhere because everyone is nice and nobody would steal it!

I only really had one low which was a band I was really looking forward to seeing making me feel unwelcome because I was a straight male! But that's their thing, so I'll cope!

Overall, amazing festival and the organisers and volunteers are amazing. I'm so looking forward to next year and hopefully many, many more.

bend sinister

Post by bend sinister » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:28 am

Graeme M wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:14 pm

I only really had one low which was a band I was really looking forward to seeing making me feel unwelcome because I was a straight male! But that's their thing, so I'll cope!
Fucking boo hoo. Must be a hard life, pal.
blank.

Graeme M

Post by Graeme M » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:32 pm

bend sinister wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:28 am
Graeme M wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:14 pm

Fucking boo hoo. Must be a hard life, pal.

Oh dear, you're an angry little man, aren't you?

daytriprecords

Post by daytriprecords » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:51 pm

Graeme M wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:32 pm
You’re very much the ‘little man’ here.

Graeme M

Post by Graeme M » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:36 pm

daytriprecords wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:51 pm
Graeme M wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:32 pm
You’re very much the ‘little man’ here.
Ah look, he's contacted his mum to come and back him up.
Great contribution to the forum!

ruudboy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/dalekvscat

Post by ruudboy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:42 pm

Graeme M wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:36 pm
Ah look, he's contacted his mum to come and back him up.
Great contribution to the forum!
Oh, I know this one! "His mum" is an insult, because that's a woman, right! Lol!

(Fuck off.)

Graeme M

Post by Graeme M » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:41 pm

Wow.

So many bitter people on here.

bend sinister

Post by bend sinister » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:32 pm

lol. I see this place is as fun as ever.
blank.