Indietracks 2010 memories and photos

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
a layer of chips
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Indietracks 2010 memories and photos

Post by a layer of chips » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:28 am

I'm too worn out to go into why that was the best weekend ever. Or wonder how Indietracks keeps getting better and better every year.

So maybe someone else could have a go first.

knibbles

Re: Indietracks 2010 memories and photos

Post by knibbles » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:57 am

My favourite bits were:

MJ Hibbett and the Validators, because I overdosed on them ages ago and stopped appreciating them as I should. Then I heard them again yesteray for the first time in ages and they were brill and they've got the tunes and towards the end of the set my furious toe tapping from afar wasn't enough and I had to run down the front and do bad dancing.

Smittens were great, and I think they were Ted's favourite band of the weekend. He started doing a bottom wiggle dance for most of their set, I'll have to put a video up of it.

Specific Heats. I'm very glad they weren't in the church in the end, else we wouldn't have got to see them. They were great.

Dancing to Standard Fare with Indietiger and other poor victims of my over-excitement. Standard Fare win my favourite band of indietracks badge. I love them bad.

Traditional Indietits Dirt Burger

Everyone being lovely and seeing lots of precious people.

Finally getting to go on the little train after intending to for the last four years. And discovering it goes to a pub. Why didn't we realise this before?

I had an absolutely brilliant weekend and I'm so grateful to everyone for being there and making it the best weekend of the year.
Daddy is dead on a sunshine day

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:42 am

Here are my highlights:

1. Thinking, mistakenly, that the Red Shoe Diaries had stormed off stage after two songs on Saturday. When, in reality, they’d just finished their soundcheck. I’m an idiot.
2. Watching my little boy enjoy his first music festival was a constant source of joy. I hope we’ve planted some kind of seed in his head and he’s not out robbing ironing boards off OAPs by the time he’s eleven, or something.
3. Watching and listening to Mark Hibbett try and say “Parallelograms” in a “refreshed” state on Saturday afternoon.
4. The Smittens. I never quite get The Smittens on record, but live they make absolutely perfect sense. The highlight of Saturday for me.
5. Leaving early. Because of the need to get the boy to bed at a decent time, we left at about half six each day. But it was fantastic to know that you were going to sleep in your own bed each night. And to feel all refreshed each morning.
6. Catching up with some amazing friends; the sort you feel like you see every weekend, when in reality some of them you haven’t seen for a year, but it doesn’t matter, because you can just carry on where you left off. I love that.
7. Sunday morning on the lovely, deserted platform. And the little journey on the narrow gauge railway that leads to A SECRET PUB. One for next year, that.
8. MJ Hibbett and the Validators. Boy, oh boy. What a bunch of pop fizz tunes. What an ace crowd. What a band. It’s only when you haven’t seen them for a while, that you realise what a gem of a band they are.
9. The Cannanes. The ten or so people at the front knew what they were on about. I’m a big hairy brute, but then nearly had me in tears.
10. Seeing another big hairy brute of a man sat on the floor, KNITTING. I’m all against the rosette and bunting brigade, but this was kind of special.
11. The Specific Heats, who were, if anything, even better than last year, and whose new members seemed to have fitted in pretty much seamlessly.
12. Standard Fare, who are now a big proper festival band, aren’t they. Yet still so meek and mild. Long may they last, and the new stuff sounds ace.
13. Trying to work out who Finchley Ted was and wondering how fed up he was of stepping over picnic blankets and "breeders".

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:16 am

The absolute stand-out band of the weekend for me was La La Love You, who might just be the most FUN band that ever existed. Pink jackets, bad English and PERFECT pop-punk.

Apart from them, Antarctica Takes It were wonderful, David Tattersall told the longest anecdote about being sick ever and played some wonderful songs despite practically vomiting himself to death earlier that day, and This Many Boyfriends were superb and full of RAGE!

On Sunday, the Validators were a brilliant start, followed by an unexpected and lovely Antarctica Takes It acoustic set in the merchandise tent. Cowtown and Internet Forever stood out like noisy sore thumbs and were all the better for it, Standard Fare and Springfactory both played sets PACKED with pop gems and Slow Club were delightfully ramshackle and funny.

Sleeping in my own bed each night was fantastic, but I think I'll be tempted to camp next year as leaving early is always so hard. Although completely running out of money by about 7pm both days helped, I suppose. Also the last bus from Ripley to Derby on Saturday night is TERRIFYING.

Other highlights - brilliant food (curry, falafel and nachos were all fantastic, I could almost be a vegetarian!), lovely people and nice ales.

Slight lowlights - the sound in the big shed is still absolutely awful, I really hope there's something that can be done about it but I guess in such a big empty hangar it's pretty much unavoidable. And the massive queue for the church is a shame, it's been my favourite place to see bands in previous years but I only made it in there once this time. I understand the safety concerns but part of the fun of festivals is wandering in to see bands on a whim and finding an unexpected delight, which is going to happen much less if there's a 15 minute queue to get in. And all the kegs of booze ran out on Sunday afternoon. More kegs for 2011!

sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Post by sweepingthenation » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:25 am

Eventually my head will stop spinning and I'll return to a societal placid state, but as far as I can currently think:

- It's slightly unfortunate when the best band of the weekend are the second to play all festival, but Allo Darlin' were just that. As previously I'd never seen them live before that and hadn't realised how much of a ukelele heroine Elizabeth is. That's how you pitch a festival set, like nothing else matters.

- Standard Fare actually seemed less nervous then when they played my warm-up (went very well, thanks). Every time I see them it's apparent they increasingly have the aura of pop genius about them.

- The Specific Heats, who I missed last year and if they were half as good as that... well, that was really something. And the natural reverb of the shed worked in their favour, for once in there all weekend.

- MJ Hibbett & the Validators. There's a little run in my Twitter feed from about 2pm yesterday that just reads 'happiness' or '#happiness'. The power that man has.

- Internet Forever, who I've worked out are essentially noise-twee - you've got the keyboard sound and the sense that it's hanging onto the songs for dear life, but then all sorts of guitar noise on top of that. Plus, Chris' spectacular drumming. Plus, the Dire Straits cover. Plus, Johnny X! Who I subsequently met, something which the 1996 me wouldn't have shut up about for days. The 2010 me was quietly quite keen too.

- A million Sean Price jokes from the stages. Even if Peggy Wang plagirised Eddie Argos'.

- Downsides? The little stall selling chips disappearing after Saturday, the church queues (is there nothing that can be done about a third stage that regularly fits everyone in?), the shed sound, the heat on the train, POBPAH's early sound problems, the Veronica Falls mess-up, only seeing the last song and a half of The Blanche Hudson Weekend, it being over.

caramarydaisy

Post by caramarydaisy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:59 am

sweepingthenation wrote: - MJ Hibbett & the Validators. There's a little run in my Twitter feed from about 2pm yesterday that just reads 'happiness' or '#happiness'. The power that man has.

i wondered what that was all about!

also, what sean price jokes?

i managed to see standard fare play in sheff on saturday as part of the tramlines festivities and they were brilliant there too :)
i said OK! the wind said no

Rocker
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rockerq

Post by Rocker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:59 am

knibbles wrote:Finally getting to go on the little train after intending to for the last four years. And discovering it goes to a pub. Why didn't we realise this before?
Oh my god, you're joking surely? What an amazing find!
Cheers!

Rocker

Listen to my show at http://www.dandelionradio.com - the internet radio station inspired by John Peel.

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:06 pm

It's called the Newlands Inn, if I remember correctly. Very handy!

Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Post by Damian » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:55 pm

I think the main highlight for me was just getting to go after weeks (indeed months) of thinking that I wasn't going to. I knew I'd made the right decision when I got there, it's that indescrible atmosphere that the festival has that makes it so special.

Band Highlights - The Red Shoe Diaries who I've not seen in awhile due to overdosing on them in Nottingham, and who were really very good indeed (something I often seem to forget), drew a sizeable crowd as well and did a good job of opening the Saturday.

The Smittens were ace, but then the Smittens are always ace live (or so it seems), I think they're one of the bands made for indietracks much like..

M.J Hibbett and the Validators who were just immense. I enjoyed how pleased Mark seemed to be at returning for an unprecented FOURTH year. So much so that he looked a little put out when someone from the crowd mentioned that maybe The Smittens had done the same. They played the hit, they made the crowd tweet as one, they inspired dancing, laughing, and for me at least an almost tear during 'Billy Jones' and 'Leave My Brother Alone'.

There's a tie for my favourite set I think. Firstly The Specific Heats firstly were amazing (again); a lot of people seemed to think even better than last year, though I think the sound let them down slightly. I saw them a few days before and was worried the new members might not fit in, or that the band wouldn't be as good. Nonsense. If anything they're even better now. No equipment blew up this year, but in all honesty the Heats generate enough thrills without any of that.

My other favourite was Standard Fare. How ace are Standard Fare? Very. Just sheer magic from beginning to end. I love how happy them seemed to be up there, and how quite a few of there songs seem to have become 'classics' already. Certainly Philadelphia seemed to have everyone, singing and dancing. It was nice to see Brad from One Happy Island join them (he was very ubiquitious this year, like the new Colin Clary) on a few songs, and their new ones sounded great too. I think I also fell for Emma a little bit, but that probably goes the same for vast sections of the crowd.

Other highlights.

Waking up on Sunday morning after having slept in a car, finding most people asleep and just going for a little wander down a path I found on the campsite. It lead to a vast open field and silence, it was lovely, and made even better by the knowledge that there was a whole festival taking place not ten minutes away.

Seeing everybody I've not seen for the last year.

The disparity between the lady from Slow Club's singing voice and speaking voice.

The Loves; I don't like every song, but a band that has dancers, balls for the audience and Jimmy Cairney dressed as Jesus (or a some would have it, Caspar mixed with Charles Manson) deserve a mention.

Ted. I've not been to a festival with someone else whose brought kids before, but seeing him having so much fun, and the people around him having so much fun was wonderful. Also rams home just how perfect a festival it is for everybody.

The food was great, I don't think anyone had many complaints, it's nice to see. The volunteers were once again brilliant, after 4 years you start recognising the same faces. The women on the ticket desk on Saturday was happily reminiscing about the first year when they hadn't got a clue how to do wristbands or anything, and they only had one table to do them on. She seemed genuinely pleased that Indietracks is still going strong and when you have that sort of support from volunteers you know you're doing it right.

I'm sure there's loads more but I'm just too tired to think of them at the moment.

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:02 pm

The old bloke in the special carriage thought me and Andy Hart were brothers. I don't know who was more offended.

sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Post by sweepingthenation » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:06 pm

Heh, that reminds me of the Lime Chalks train set, and there being two elderly blokes sitting down amid the festival throng who clearly had no idea there was soon going to be entertainment or a swarm of young people on board when they found that hitherto quiet carriage. One of them was making childish disagreeable faces at the other throughout. On Sunday I saw a woman with two kids I'm sure get off the little train during an outdoor set and carry straight on across the turf and out the other end with a face like thunder.

mkgleeds
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mkgleeds

Post by mkgleeds » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 pm

caramarydaisy wrote:
I assume there is something in the standard Indietracks contract that says you have to mention Sean Price

MJHibbett

Post by MJHibbett » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:42 pm

mkgleeds wrote:
caramarydaisy wrote:
I assume there is something in the standard Indietracks contract that says you have to mention Sean Price
My one regret was not saying "Aah, i see Sean has arrived" when the helicopter flew over during our set!

I don't think I've ever seen a collection of Validators as happy as we all were on Sunday afternoon, we had a bloody FANTASTIC time!

mkgleeds
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mkgleeds

Post by mkgleeds » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Had a fantastic time as ever - Indietracks remains the best thing in the world - thanks to everyone who makes it happen.

The Great stuff
The Pooh Sticks (and signs)– In a perfect world we’d have more songs from Orgasm, but ‘On Tape’ pretty makes up for everything.
Ballboy – bolstered by a significant wedding party contingent.
Shrag – New album is going to be great.
Pains – Overcoming the sound problems and genuinely happy to be there,

The Good stuff
Rain holding off – it pissed down on the journey down the M1 this morning
Indietracks Iphone app – very useful for telling you who was on where at any given moment.
The Callas – once i’d got past the shock of finding the Greek Sonic Youth i really enjoyed them
Standard Fare – Not always thrilled by Emma’s voice live but boy do they have the songs
Sarandon – Bit surreal in the church but fun nonetheless
Plus the Orchids, and the bits of Slow Club, Tender Trap and Boy Genius i managed to see.

Not So Good
Not being able to get near the church for Betty and the Werewolves
Not many people watching the Cannanes
Gordon McIntyre / Slow Club / Pooh Sticks – nightmare clash
Merchandise Stall taunting me by having CDs that i’ve ordered but not got yet (Hayman, Tender Trap etc)

ian

Post by ian » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Finally home, exhausted but happy. What a fantastic weekend! It was our first Indietracks with the boys, so it was a very different festival for me this year. We spent most of our time on the steam train, the little train (but didn't get off to find the pub, alas), the swings, the signal box (my eldest said it was his highlight of the weekend), the model railway, and playing with the Thomas train set in the shop...and kind of saw/listened to some bands when we had a chance.

The Orchids sounded wonderful, and I enjoyed singing along to them while we were at the swings. Sunday was the better day for us, as when it started to rain the boys were happy to sit in the pram, and we got to see two whole sets on the outside stage - Standard Fare and Shrag. It was too noisy in the shed for us to the venture in there (we tried on Saturday and the boys complained!), but I was allowed to nip in for The Pooh Sticks, who were glorious and my highlight of the weekend. Young People! Cool In A Crisis! A sign saying "Indiepop Ain't Noise Pollution", but no appearance of the song itself. They made me very very happy.

Carys

Post by Carys » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Indietracks truly is a magical place! The second I walked onto the site, I went all giddy and hyper and started bounding around like a big daft dog.

Music highlights were: The Specific Heats (Matt has so much energy and they all looked super happy on stage. Can't wait to listen to the new album properly); Foxes! (Why these guys don't play in London EVERY DAY is beyond me, but they were even better than when I saw them a couple of years ago. I'm sure the forthcoming album will be properly immense!); Betty and the Werewolves (OBVIOUSLY); The Millipedes (Was desperate to show my appreciation through the medium of dance, but sadly the church wasn't into it. So sad that that was their last gig); the Offbeat and Atta Girl discos, which were both wonderful - I hope to get up to the proper nights in the not too distant future.

Personal highlights were: catching up with lots of people I know; being introduced to lots of wonderful people I didn't know before the weekend; hanging out with all the wonderful friends I went along to the festival with; having random strangers come up to me and compliment the band; actually getting to play at the festival, and feeling like an utter fraud for doing so but absolutely loving it anyway; ALE; feeling momentarily useful on the merch stall; meeting the incredible Wendy Darlings, who simply must play next year... oh there's too much to mention.

Thank you Team Indietracks for all your effort, and for letting us play.

Dan Pop-o-matic
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/DanPopomatic

Post by Dan Pop-o-matic » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Good things:

The Just Joans, MJ Hibbett and his Validators (nearly cried during Leave My Brother Alone), Standard Fare, The Smittens, Springfactory, Allo Darlin, Crabbies Alchoholic Ginger Beer, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, This Many Boyfriends, Internet Forever, Blanche Hudson Weekend, the look on Marianthi and Pete's faces when The Orchids did Something For The Longing, Atta Girl, Crimes Against Pop, Gopal's Curry Shack, seeing loads of really lovely people again.

Bad things:

Not being able to get into the Church all weekend and thereby missing The Parallelograms, The Millipedes, Sunny Street, Betty and The Werewolves and The Give It Ups, not getting on the train to watch The Middle Ones, the feeling that I have to apologise to loads of people about somthing.

The good has clearly outweighed the bad. Result!

Carys

Post by Carys » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Tatty Devine made me out of plasticine at the animation workshop! Eek!

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:56 pm

Awesomecakes as always, Indietracks!

Most importantly: It was great seeing everyone. It's my main reason for going, and it's always lovely just hanging out with all these fantastic friends I don't see often enough! Meeting the lovely young Ted was fantastic too! I couldn't believe how well-behaved he was!

But yes, seeing everyone, walking around, having random chats, watching bands together, dancing, eating food - and thank the LORD, or rather, everyone in charge of Indietracks, for the amazing supply of vegetarian and vegan food, it's so nice not to have to walk around with all the day's food on you! - and just having a good time. It's the experience of all of it together that makes it so special.

My favourite gigs were David Tattersall, The Smittens, Slow Club, Let's Whisper and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, but I enjoyed pretty much everything I saw!

As always it was wonderful to see how well-organised and calm it all was, and I love that it's a festival that welcomes everyone! The volunteers were really lovely, and I had no problems with anything. Thank you everyone involved for another great Indietracks!
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

Rocker
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rockerq

Post by Rocker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:01 pm

a layer of chips wrote:It's called the Newlands Inn, if I remember correctly. Very handy!
Was it open? On Google Earth it's all boarded up!

My god if they did accommodation that would be the best place to stay!
Cheers!

Rocker

Listen to my show at http://www.dandelionradio.com - the internet radio station inspired by John Peel.