Indietracks 2013 Photos and Memories

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
tobifail
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tobydynamik

Re: Indietracks 2013 Photos and Memories

Post by tobifail » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:27 pm

joanny wrote:Will the sniffing dogs come back again next year? They were too damn cute.
cute, and fantastically incompetent
c i s i s t h e h e a v e n l e y o p t i o n

mimpkin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mimpers

Post by mimpkin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Trev wrote:
stolenwine wrote: i don't know why i feel the need to scream at the top of my lungs in the most off-key fashion whenever i hear martha. it's a condition.
Loads of us seem to suffer from that one. ;-)
I almost lost my voice singing along to ONSIND tonight - a related condition!
totally wicked and equally ace

IBMITVI2011
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by IBMITVI2011 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:01 am

For those that did see it and for those that did not;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_Qdu7A ... e=youtu.be

The Spook School in the Merch Tent

More video and i'll be sorting out the best from 3,300+ photos to be added to the Indietracks Flickr page over the next few days

nicolnicol
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jack_fe

Post by nicolnicol » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:25 am

That was a lovely weekend. Glad I finally made it up there.
Massive highlights:

The Choo Choo Trains. They were perfect. Trying to convince them that being in separate countries need not be the end. Singing their songs all day(s).

McTells! And having a lovely talk with a very friendly Mark on Sunday. Hopefully they'll be coaxed out again one day...

Helen Love was a major party (as everyone knows), and now I'll never struggle to find music to dance to ever again.

So much more. I made friends with a dog, it got really into me, and then people had to empty all the flapjack crumbs and pen lids out of my bag and asked me if I'd "been in a taxi recently?"

Full on dance party madness with The Choo Choo Trains (2/3) and Frozy (2/3) on the Sunday night, from the Helen Love afterglow until 4ish. I hope it goes down in awkward rock and roll history. I didn't see it coming.

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:49 am

Who the fuck buys an owl as a pet? Bloody gothics.

SisterRay

Post by SisterRay » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:27 am

Another first timer here, and had a fantastic time as well. Didn't talk to people that much, being a somewhat introverted soul, and the closest contact I had was with the cute drug sniffing dog.

Highlights for me were Camera Obscura, Another Sunny Day, The Brilliant Corners (the little I managed to catch it, soooo happy I heard Teenage), Milky Wimpshake, Finnmark, Alpaca Sports, Making Marks, The Secret History (who I also caught on thursday in London, with the fantastic Comet Gain, but this time they were louder and clearer, so I o to hear the lovely Johnny Nightmare with all it's lovely guitars), Martha, of the stuff I'd heard before, and Wave Pictures, the lovely Seabirds, Flowers and Fever Dream. Also, The Pastels were perfect in the summer rain, with raindrops on my glasses making the stagelights shine like stars. Stephen has the most disarming and lovely smile, doesn't he?

The merch tent gigs I caught on saturday were also brilliant: the mood and the crowd during ONSIND, another instant favourite, and the hilarious and awesome The Spook School. The Just Joans & If You Don't Pull and What Do We Do Now were the best, and might've teared up a bit during Underwear. I'm telling everyone it was just sweat, though, as the tent was pretty warm and humid.

Otherwise awesome ales, Rapture IPA being my favourite, happy people, food, sun and (mostly) warm rain. For sure making plans for next year, maybe staying later to catch the discos & all, and even talk to people.

On saturday, with Camera Obscura running late, I missed the last bus to where I was staying. The one I caught should've left me with some two miles to walk, in the dark and rain, in a strange country. The bus driver was very lovely, took pity on a rainsoaked finn, and gave me a lift to the motel. Ended up getting almost as near as I would have with a taxi. So, three cheers for public transport and the driver who saved my night! I had my own after party drinking tea and grinning like mad in my room afterwards. Rock'n'roll.

IBMITVI2011

Post by IBMITVI2011 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:35 am

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:10 am

Everyones indietracks is different but equally filled with joy. That's what makes IT so damn special.

Nice to meet you on here, SisterRay!
not really here

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:27 am

a layer of chips wrote:Who the fuck buys an owl as a pet? Bloody gothics.
The same sort of people who buy meerkats from that place in Nottingham that has now, mercifully, closed down. They were selling baby anteaters at one point.
"I don't know who you're talking about..."

Doc & Miss

Post by Doc & Miss » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:27 am

Time to add our BIG thanks to all who made this year's Indietracks the best ever (a much over used phrase but we are convinced it applies this year). Without the Indietracks Team this event wouldn't happen and the railway is extremely grateful to them for all their work. I should add the stage, lighting and sound guys put in a tremendous number of hours to also make it happen. And so I could go on...... Volunteers, caterers, etc. a big thanks to all who got stuck in.

Oops! I forgot the Indietrackers and bands. One of the lighting guys said to us on Monday that he had never seen a festival where the inebriated would pick up litter and put it in a bin. That's an odd way of saying what a great bunch. This year we recognised more faces (still don't know many names) and got more hugs and handshakes. Long may it continue.

This year we have coined a new phrase - Indie Innovations.

in 2011 it was can crushing by road roller.
In 2012 it was owls (let's not forget the parrots).
In 2013 it was the beach (actually that was for our summer promotion, but who cares).
Beach_Songs.jpg
Good Vibrations!
Thanks for the respect shown, even the sandcastle was intact. By the way, was it our imagination or did we see more families this year?

So what do we have for 2014? Talking to Pete Green, a larger space on the train. That MIGHT be possible - we'll get our thinking caps on. I was the poor guard on Saturday who had 8 people in the guard's compartment when Emma Kupa was on. Maybe we need to use a quieter engine as well! How about some themed tours in the museum? afterall it's what we are about at the railway.

I just loved the glitter cannon, but we will still be picking up the bits in 2014 from the one in the disco marquee. I also never thought I would become a roadie at my age, and soaking wet to boot, but helping get Camera Obscura onto the indoor stage was a new experience for me. Yes the drugs dogs were cute, but only two people fell foul of them, much as we expected. From our point of view running the event the security team were much better this year, and we met our obligations and got big plus marks from the licensing folks so no hassles for next year.

I doubt you would believe it but by 11.00am on Monday we were open to our normal visitors, the site was clean (nearly), the stage was empty, the indoor stage down, the bar packed up and the toilets gone. Just the last few Indietrackers wandering about and the last caterer to finish packing.

So back to hearing chuffs and whistles for us now, but that's not quite all. This Friday it is time to guard on a funeral train having earlier entertained the Heritage Lottery Fund during their visit. Well we are asking then for £1.7m for a major upgarde to the museum. Now that's a challenge for 2015 or 2016 to bring that into the event.

Once again, thanks for all the support, the railway realy does appreciate it.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:38 am

Doc & Miss wrote:Once again, thanks for all the support, the railway realy does appreciate it.
and Thank YOU so much for making it happen - it just wouldn't be the same without the wonderful railway volunteers. I have so much fun and the people I got to talk to (mainly the bar staff and the people who helped set up the DJ equipment in the Marquee on Sunday) were as helpful, friendly and generally amazing as always.

Every year I think it can't keep getting better and every year it does, somehow.
not really here

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:40 am

Lovely to see Indietracks inspiring people to post on Anorak for the first time. Stick around, introduce yourself.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:45 am

Doc & Miss wrote:Time to add our BIG thanks to all who made this year's Indietracks the best ever (a much over used phrase but we are convinced it applies this year). Without the Indietracks Team this event wouldn't happen and the railway is extremely grateful to them for all their work. I should add the stage, lighting and sound guys put in a tremendous number of hours to also make it happen. And so I could go on...... Volunteers, caterers, etc. a big thanks to all who got stuck in.
Heartily seconded - and again, thanks to you and all the other volunteers on the railway for all that hard work and for making us all feel so welcome again - you are amazing! Good luck with the lottery application and we'll see you next time.

Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Post by Damian » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:59 am

Doc & Miss wrote: How about some themed tours in the museum? afterall it's what we are about at the railway.
I think this is a sterling idea. I'm only speaking for myself but if you put a little theme tour on with a voluntary donation or something I'd more than happy to contribute.

Also, it's really nice that you continue to welcome us back to the site year on year, and we all really appreciate it, we really really do. Thank you

IBMITVI2011

Post by IBMITVI2011 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:06 am

Just where to start? Saying what makes Indietracks so special every year is tough but I’ll give it ago;

The bands (obviously) great performances from, in running order; The Tuts, bis, Finnmark!, The Art Club, Tunabunny, Pale Spectres, Fever Dream, The Spook School, The Magic Theatre, The Just Jones, Cars can be Blue, The Brilliant Corners, The French Defence, anaesthetics, Alpaca Sports, EXPENSIVE, Flowers, Lardpony, The Soulboy Collective, Making Marks, Fear of Men, The Ballet, Martha, Helen Love and Still Corners.

The people, the people I don’t see from one year to the next but are like old friends for three days of the year. The new friends that I make every year that next year are like old friends. It never ceases to amaze me that it’s the people that make this festival just so special.

The trains, only went on two this year and did not make it to a band on a train this year, I’m a very bad boy for that but I did have a great time in the museum.

The campsite, I miss the angry Sean Bean impersonator but still despite all of the issues that the campsite has its still great fun and full of great people. Also the ability every year, to convert someone to Buckfast, this year Edward from Finnmark!.

The beer, in very trying conditions the beer was kept superbly well.

The dogs, owls and parrots, if only the festival site had a cat.

Gopal’s, the food in general. The signal box, the church.

The weather, it the rain was fun, for a while.

Things that hurt, missing The Choo Choo Trains and Haiku Salut.

linus

Post by linus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:15 am

what the papers say: http://www.ripleyandheanornews.co.uk/co ... -1-5901257
indie veterans Bis, The Pastels and the Brilliant Corners played alongside up-and-comers Milky Wimpshake...
Pete's cursed by his boyish good looks, isn't he?

ShaunBrilldream

Post by ShaunBrilldream » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 am

Ah, my goodness I'm still on high from the weekend. I'm still making friends on facebook with people I met/danced with/drunk with/met in a toilet queue. It's so wonderful and brilliant and special to have all the people who are into the same things as you but are dotted around the atlas in the same place at the same time. Can't we not all live in Indietracks?

I can't express sufficiently my appreciation to everyone who makes this happen. From the people booking bands to the most amazing bar staff to the sound guys to the poor buggers who got soaked in the lanes with nothing to protect them but a walkie talkie. All of you, you are brilliant. Thank you thank you thank you.

On personal note, and I really don't want to get too heavy or anything, but my dad died a few years ago. He was a train driver and loved all things railway. He never got the music i'm into ('bloody racket' he called it), but he would have appreciated the fact that going enjoying yourself and buying an ale can go towards preserving some BR heritage.

I enjoyed every second but my personal highlights are

*A really tiny kid with bright orange ear protectors going MENTAL to Bis
*the bar staff brandishing light sabers and then playing the Last Post on a bugle. I admit it, I filled up.
*Watching Pete and Marianthi when Helen Love played Atomic Beat Boy
*Martin from Anesthetics being genuinely awed by playing there, and bringing his wife and kid.
*The campsite disco's. They really where the best.
*The guy in the bar disco playing The B-52's at totally the wrong speed but everyone dancing along anyway but REALLY SLOWLY.
*reading the erotic word search on the toilet (sorry) and doing a genuine LOL at 'his Stevie Jackson'
*The guy climbing the pole in the disco tent, with the security guys watching on open mouthed with the rest of us to see if he made it to the top.
*The sing alongs-the train one was great but the beach one was magic.
*seeing old friends and making lots of new ones.

Ah, wonderful. Is it next year yet?
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes and to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

destroyalldreamers

Post by destroyalldreamers » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 am

Yay for this... happy memories!

ShaunBrilldream

Post by ShaunBrilldream » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:52 am

Butterley rock festival
Bless them.
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes and to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:08 pm

I'm increasingly thinking I could have watched an entirely different set of bands this year and enjoyed it just as much. Definitely the strongest line-up yet! Definitely keeping that idea in my head just in case anyone invents time travel within the next couple of weeks.

To anyone who saw Fear of Men - is the rest of their stuff as good as the song on the compilation ('Mosaic') ? Because that's pretty much my favourite song in the world right now. Gutted that I missed them, among many, many others!