Indietracks 2015 Photos and Memories

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
graysonscolumn

Re: Indietracks 2015 Photos and Memories

Post by graysonscolumn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:29 pm

tonieee wrote:
underwater_fraulein wrote:Did anyone else see the terribly embarrassed horse in a rain mac?
Was it this one?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/orqwith/1 ... 357556626/

I didn't see it this year but have done in previous years and it always looked embarrassed.

In previous years he's always been in something more akin to a gimp outfit, primarily so he couldn't see or hear the broodmares in the other fields and get excited/tormented ahead of time.

At first glance I thought he looked more like The Hooded Claw Horse this year, but that was probably just a halucination brought about by drinking Citravilla in the shed bar followed by something called Plumbrini that was being passed around the tent disco. In the cold light of day he merely looked like Surgeon Horse.

gc
Fifty Shades Of Grayson: http://thatmusiclist.blogspot.com

Barto
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Bartolone

Post by Barto » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:32 pm

It's incredible how the magic never fades but gets stronger instead, year after year. There was only another festival I attended to for 4 years in a row, and at the end of the fourth year I complained about everything, Indietracks instead makes me feel better and better everytime.

Music: my highlight were Desperate Journalist, folliowed by, in no particular order, by The Haywains, Tigercats, Pains, The Fireworks and Martha. Loved everything else I saw except Colleen Green and The Go! Team. Also the warm up show in Nottingham was ace.

Non music: pizza was good, also Gopal's and burritos but I knew, ales great as always. Partying hard on Saturday night was glorious, unfortunately I found out I'm not able to do it two nights in a row and on Sunday I slept. Only complain: no orange cider this year!

Of course meeting tons of wonderful people is one of the main reason that makes this a special weekend year after year

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:03 pm

Things I loved this year:

- Frida & Ale
- Lost Pets
- Martha (especially their Celine Dion cover with Niall)
- Colour Me Wednesday
- The Tuts
- The Fireworks
- The School
- The Go! Team
- The Catenary Wires (though I only managed a few songs due to the rain - they were very suited to watching in the rain and under normal circumstances I would have stayed and watched the whole set no matter how much it rained but I was worried about my leg getting wet)
- Colleen Green
- Mammoth Penguins
- Los Bonsais (their Spanish language cover of Part Time Punks was the best cover of the weekend).
- Owl & Mouse (twice :D)
- David Leach
- Niall's Life Coaching skills - especially the guest appearance of the actual Kip Berman from the Pains Of Being Pure At Heart)
- Gopals curry (I only ended up getting one curry this year)

Things I didn't like:

- the rain (please don't book it again, though I suppose due to the two year rule we won't be seeing it next year - that's how it works isn't it?)
- not being able to dance :( (did do a little bit in the shed after Go! Team but probably over stretched myself and then did lots of chair dancing at the campsite)
- not being able to try many of the lovely beers - I did have a couple of Celtic Porters which was yummy but by Sunday evening when I decided I'd be able to cope with a few more they had sold out and I ended up with a can of strongbow instead :(
- not being able to go on the train to see Oh Peas! :'(

Icebat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Icebat » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:52 pm

It seems like everyone who's been a few times or more has the occasional year where they randomly don't get into it as much as normal, and this year was a bit like that for me. But it's Indietracks, and not getting into it quite so much still means having a bloody great time and getting all sad when it's over. It was still wonderful.

Best bits:
- Pains were perfect Saturday headliners. I've seen them a silly amount of times in the past year or so (one of which was one of my all-time favourite shows), but it was still a pleasure. Solid set, everyone around me was really into it, lots of fun.
- Go! Team were perfect Sunday headliners. I tend to think of that slot as being the slightly more unusual one - I don't know if that's intentional or just coincidence, but more often than not it's a band I don't know that well or wouldn't normally listen to much. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I don't. This year I did... they were great! Really joyous performance, and it helped me forget the festival was nearly over.
- Martha lived up to my high expectations, they were ace. It would've been perfect if they'd played So Sad (no idea if they ever do).
- All the other bands I saw. Not a single one I didn't enjoy. The Tuts in particular were brilliant, and Mammoth Penguins and the Hi-Life Companion and... well, everything.
- Ale. Good selection as always, and I was especially glad to see Golden Birdwing back - I don't think I've spotted it since 2012!
- I didn't hang around there much this year, but passing the owls every time I went in or out of the shed was still nice. That laughing parrot was pretty awesome.
- The Unpop disco. At one point there were about half a dozen songs I love in a row, resulting in lots of dancing. That got me warmed up for the weekend.
- All the friendly people. I mean, I don't tend to get into conversations with anyone (too shy), but it's still really nice.

Less good:
- I didn't have any particularly good food this year. Missed out on Gopal's, and what I did have from elsewhere was kinda average. I think the pizza would've been good with a bit of basil or something.
- The carriage thingies alongside the outdoor stage weren't lit up with colourful lights this year, were they? I kept looking over and thinking "something's missing here..."
- WEATHER. It could've been worse (at least there was one nice day), but a whole day of rain was still a bit much. Normally I like to spend about half my time lounging on the grass; almost 10 hours of standing up was pretty painful. The delays weren't great either, but then you think about what it must be like for the people having to actually organise moving everything indoors and you can't really complain about that.
- On a related note, it was a sad sight when I went outside for food at about 8pm and saw the outdoor stage dark and empty. :( It hit home that it was all nearly over.
- Hearing about bad stuff happening like the damage to Flemmings' van. That just makes me mad. (I hope they managed to get some way towards fixing it)

So yeah, it was a lovely weekend. Even on an off year for me, it's still easily one of the highlights of the year. Can't wait for 2016!

(Now onto my annual post-Indietracks Bandcamp splurge)

xandmatt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/xandmatt

Post by xandmatt » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:26 pm

I only went on the Saturday, driving up from Walsall and back afterwards so didn't stay for any post-band disco-y things. It was also my first Indietracks and I really, really enjoyed it. I was surprised at how small the main stage area was (but it's a good location) and also shocked at how there was always something going on so you're not really wandering around. The unplugged acoustic sessions in the Merch tent was a highlight - I loved Owl & Mouse. Bought the album and listened to it on the drive home.

Music wise, I loved most of what I saw. Caught bits and pieces of different sets near first half of the day, but was particularly impressed with Eureka California and Feature. Finally saw Tigercats live and they had the best set of the day. Also enjoyed Colleen Green and walked in for the last few songs of Steven James Adams - the end of his set was awesome. Pains of Being Pure at Heart were amazing (as always).

Yeah, really enjoyed it. Slightly annoyed I didn't go for the Sunday (though hearing reports of the rain - part of me is glad I didn't go - only partly though). Definitely thinking of coming up next year.

indiehorse

Post by indiehorse » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:43 pm

The whole thing whizzed by. Loved every second. Obvs.

Emma Kupa OWNED the festival, as far as I'm concerned. Both her "solo" set and Mammoth Penguins. So good. Especially dancing with Knibbles during Mammoth Penguins.
Martha.
Lost Pets cover of "Ban Marriage".
All the other bands I saw.
Playing football on Sunday morning on very little sleep.
The campsite disco.
The booze train.
Mates.
The campsite disco.
Mates.
Mates.
Mates.

Some photos: https://www.facebook.com/indiehorse/med ... nref=story

Michael Quentin

Post by Michael Quentin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:45 pm

I was feeling a bit peaky this year, so that, coupled with the rain and two bored teenagers, meant we bailed Sunday lunchtime (after I spent all morning staring into the rain and agonizing about missing Martha).

Highlights for me were Feature, Niall's lifestyle tips, finally seeing somebody in the church (Cristina Quesada) and Gandalf the owl. I loved all the familiar, native owls (and the random hawk) but Gandalf was just special to see.

All the volunteers were fantastic. I doff my cap to the organisational skills and punctuality of the railway gang and Team Indietracks.

Cloudy Cat

Post by Cloudy Cat » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:17 am

Martha, Martha, Martha. Me and the wife got in our dinghy and rowed back to the Premier Inn after them. Probably my most enjoyable performance by anyone, better even than the Lovely Eggs or the Cavalcade back in the past.

So sad that we could only see four Colour Me Wednesday songs as we had to front crawl to the train to see our friends Michaelmas who through misunderstanding managed to play a double set interspersed with terrible owl jokes. Who was that budding seven year old Tim Vine? (You had to be there).
So that extended set meant we only saw two Darling Buds songs. Wasn't Andrea wearing that same dress on the cover of the NME some 25 years ago?

Chorus Girl was wonderful and annoyingly Oddbox had sold all their singles in Usain Bolt time. Also frustrated I couldn't get any Luxembourg Signal vinyl, I only saw about ten minutes of them but they were splendid.

Loved Cinerama, I don't think anyone else does so I'm bravely defying convention. David Gedge is the closest thing we have to our own Burt Bacharach.

Only saw half the Tuts set but they sounded as brilliantly feisty as ever. Their last tune, what was it? was bloody superb.

Tigercats, Tuff Love, Eureka California, The School, all terrific.

The owls, especially bark face, or woodface as we named him at the time but in retrospect I think the former name suits better. A crying parrot, that was just disturbing, obviously lived in a house with a baby.

Coming second in the quiz. We couldn't have done it without three new friends, a lovely Scottish couple and their mate Kevin. Cheers team The Pain of Being Poor at Facts.

Most enjoyable meeting up with old friends, many bedraggled and shivering. Stupid English weather.

Disappointed that for the second year running we didn't see anyone in the church.

Thanks to all who make Indietracks possible. I love you all. It's my favourite weekend of the year.

Roll on next year.

Oh and did I mention how fucking great Martha were?

sparkle_debacle

Post by sparkle_debacle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:58 am

That was wonderful as ever; only the rain, a few petty logistics and acute social paranoia were against me.

Highlights for me were, in order of appearance: Evans the Death, Rodney Cromwell, Colleen Green, Wave Pics, secret concert in the woods, You! Me! Quizzing!, Jen Schande, Ralegh Long, Grubs, Frida & Ale (Dance With Your Shadow!), Euros Childs, the Go! Team, the campsite discos. Pushed for a favourite I would have to say Euros Childs, hero of my youth, who I thought after 3 or 4 songs might end up disappointing me, but then ... didn't.
I also saw appetizing snatches of Eureka California, Mammoth Penguins, Laeticia Sadier and many others. I did find that it in the shed it was really hard to engage with the band in any way if you are in the back half, both in terms of sound and vision, which may explain my relative coolness over Martha or the second half of the Go! Team after I'd been to the toilet. And an outdoor stage act in the rain is just not watchable unless you've found some shelter. But enough with the cavils.

I love the Church, especially when it's raining. I might stay there the whole time next time. I feel you could watch any of the bands at indietracks and always have a good time. Some bands I enjoy more than others, but there rarely seem to be any actual bad bands. None this year, certainly.
I feel like I should have stayed up later and made it into these mysterious exclusive "upstairs discos" of legend. But I did stay out to all three campsite marquee discos, which I don't think I've ever managed to do before. Wonderful friendly faces everywhere.

At one of the festival site discos I picked up the wrong hoodie (the wrong colour even!). So if anyone wants theirs back, please let me know. And I'm really really sorry. And if you in turn picked up mine and consider it a poor substitute, I would be eager to swap back.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks for another tiptop weekend. Highlights were Wave Pictures, The Tuts, Darren's dancing at the campsite disco, and all the lovely people new and old I met over the weekend. Hurrah for next year!

bartblueboy

Post by bartblueboy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Highlights : seeing all my lovely friends

Musicwise : Luxembourg Signal was way up there for me ... gorgeous gorgeous songs performed by the most wonderful people in the world ... god I love Beth

Also really really enjoyed the Fireworks (aren't they just the coolest looking band around? and they have the songs to back it up), Rodney Cromwell (awesome synthpop of the sort we need more of at Indietracks to be honest), Rémi Parson (always brilliant, how many aces has he got up his sleeves? awesome), the Leaf Library (absolutely stunning set in the church, they reminded me a bit of the really wonderful Movietone/Broadcast/Pram), the School (a little ray of sunshine in the rain), Pete Astor (I was not sure what to expect, but it was a really really great set he did even playing a lovely version of "like Frankie Lymon"), the very lovely Christina Quesada (especially the J&MC, ABBA and France Gall covers)

bad bits : didn't they know I don't do rain (lol)
not bringing my newly bought wellington boots (silly me), my icecold feet prevented me from dancing :-(

I am not sure I aprove of the owls being so close to the indoor venue ... poor creatures, having all these human monsters staring at them and all that noise ... I know it is awesome that they are looked after, after being dumped as pets by their owners, but maybe next time they should be in a different place where they are left a bit more in piece (sorry, this is only my opinion and maybe I am misinformed and they really really like it there)

Nat

Post by Nat » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 pm

Huge thanks to everyone who came along to Indietracks this year. The weekend seemed to fly past so quickly, and we hope you all had a brilliant time, danced to some amazing bands and spent some fun time with some fantastic people!

Thanks to all the fantastic bands and DJs, workshop organisers, caterers and stall holders, and big thanks as always to Xcite Audio Services and Magnet Hire for doing the stages and sound.

And as always, a big thanks to the Midland Railway staff and our volunteers who worked so hard to make Indietracks work this year. The steamroller crushing seemed especially popular this year, and the owls were on top form!

Finally, a massive thanks to all of YOU for coming and supporting Indietracks and the railway again this year! We had some lovely sunshine on Saturday inbetween the Friday and Sunday rain, so thank you for keeping on smiling and dancing and making the most of the weekend. The atmosphere for the bands was incredible and you also raised some really important funds for the railway charity, not least in drinking the bar completely dry by Sunday night?

If you’re already missing Indietracks as much as we are, here’s a few things you can do…

Share your photos and videos: Please pop your best photos on Instagram and Flickr, and tag them with Indietracks. Please also send any amazing Youtube / Vimeo links to indietracksfestival@gmail.com – we’ll stick our favourites up on this website in the next few weeks.

Contribute to a Midland Railway / Indietracks documentary! The acclaimed documentary film-maker Jeanie Finlay was on site all week shooting a documentary about the railway and our festival. If you have any special photos or video – perhaps the Steven James Adams playground set, the Free Fall sax player performing among the crowd, Ninja from The Go! Team dancing with EVERYONE at the Sunday disco, or anything else amazing – please sent a link or email content to indietracksfilm@gmail.com

Share your memories: If you write a review elsewhere, please drop us a note and we’ll round up the nicest ones on our website: indietrackspress@gmail.com

Listen to the bands: If you’re missing the festival, or wondering what it’s all about, it’s still possible to download our Indietracks 2015 compilation, which features 49 amazing songs by artists who played this year. All proceeds from the compilation go to the railway charity. Thanks so much to everyone who’s downloaded a copy already!

Keep informed about future festivals: If you’d like to stay up-to-date with future Indietracks news, please follow us on Twitter or Facebook, or subscribe to our e-newsletter by emailing indietracksmailinglist2@gmail.com

We hope you enjoyed Indietracks 2015, and we hope to see you next year for our 10th festival!

Nat/ Team Indietracks
xxx

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:10 pm

The kindness of wonderful people is what I'll remember from this weekend, particularly those who kept me warm and sane when I woke up to find I'd lost my anorak and jumper and phone.

Musicwise I saw less bands than ever - to the extent it really feels like I missed a day - but still had a great time. Not sure quite how I missed so many things I wanted to see but as always catching up with the friends you've got to know over the last 8 years of Indietracksing is priceless, especially this being the first year I'd been without "The Brown Lady"! (copyright my taxi pals on the way in from Alfreton)

As always, thanks to the Buckfast Crew, the white van folks for taking the piss so gently when I went to recover my phone, the organisers from keeping things running smoothly despite the godawful weather, and the undeniable good nature of everyone involved.

Was gutted to fail to see Oh Peas (the first time I've remembered in to try to see someone play on the train but it was full up), and felt lame to bail on Laetitia Sadier when she was sounding especially lovely. But seeing Mammoth Penguins for the first time, and catching cracking sets from Martha, Remi Parson, Feature, Eureka California, Chorusgirl and Grubs kept me more than sated.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:54 pm

boney wrote:"The Brown Lady"! (copyright my taxi pals on the way in from Alfreton)
He he - they told me that they caught a taxi with the fella who goes out with The Brown Lady and I knew exactly who they meant.

Edit: I've just realised how racist this might sound to those who don't know who we're talking about.

stompsie

Post by stompsie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Such a wonderful weekend, so many thanks to everyone who worked so hard. Great line up - particularly loved my first time seeing mammoth penguins. Again thank you. Now bed.

underwater_fraulein

Post by underwater_fraulein » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:29 am

boney wrote:"The Brown Lady"! (copyright my taxi pals on the way in from Alfreton)
Guilty.

Edit: Not of being a racist (she just wears a lot of brown!), but of being one of said taxi pals.

xandmatt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/xandmatt

Post by xandmatt » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:19 am

Nat wrote:Contribute to a Midland Railway / Indietracks documentary! The acclaimed documentary film-maker Jeanie Finlay was on site all week shooting a documentary about the railway and our festival. If you have any special photos or video – perhaps the Steven James Adams playground set, the Free Fall sax player performing among the crowd, Ninja from The Go! Team dancing with EVERYONE at the Sunday disco, or anything else amazing – please sent a link or email content to indietracksfilm@gmail.com
I did e-mail these to the Indietracks film e-mail address, but I'll just put the link to a couple of photos from the Steven James Adams' playground invasion here:

https://goo.gl/photos/8pxvq3p6D3RuFzUU9

Probably one of the best memories I have at a music festival. That was a moment.

Still can't proclaim just how much fun I had there this year. I wish I'd gone to Indietracks years sooner!

lloydybwoy

Post by lloydybwoy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:03 pm

That was rather soggy, wasn't it? Eesh. Anyway:

Highlights
POBPAH, Emma Kupa, Ethical Debating Society, the secret gig in the woods (I have a feeling this could become A THING), The Fireworks, Euros Childs (wasn't sure whether he would come across well but it was utterly lovely), The School, Cinerama (although pretty much every song is about infidelity...), Grubs
Niall's life coaching, and Skips with Kips
Part Time Punks in Spanish!
Owls!
The Saturday night campsite disco
Rory McVicar in the merch tent
Bumping into so many friends! Everyone's so bloody lovely, aren't they?

Unhighlights
The weather, natch - meaning we had to cancel the Don't Falter set in the marquee (we'll be back next year!) and the Go! Team had to play in the shed. I thought the sound for their set, particularly early on, was not great. Couldn't hear Ninja to start with.
No crazy orange cider!
Finally bailing on Laetitia Sadier's marvellous set because of the weather
Not seeing any of the train bands
Missing The Luxembourg Signal and Ralegh Long
*Still* not getting Martha.

timahall
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/timahall

Post by timahall » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:09 pm

bartblueboy wrote:I am not sure I aprove of the owls being so close to the indoor venue ... poor creatures, having all these human monsters staring at them and all that noise ... I know it is awesome that they are looked after, after being dumped as pets by their owners, but maybe next time they should be in a different place where they are left a bit more in piece (sorry, this is only my opinion and maybe I am misinformed and they really really like it there)
Oh, the owls are placed in a noisy area for a reason, although I forget why. It was explained to me the first year they were there. But they're definitely happy in the noise and surrounded by (gentle) people.

timahall
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/timahall

Post by timahall » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:11 pm

timahall wrote:
bartblueboy wrote:I am not sure I aprove of the owls being so close to the indoor venue ... poor creatures, having all these human monsters staring at them and all that noise ... I know it is awesome that they are looked after, after being dumped as pets by their owners, but maybe next time they should be in a different place where they are left a bit more in piece (sorry, this is only my opinion and maybe I am misinformed and they really really like it there)
Oh, the owls are placed in a noisy area for a reason, although I forget what it is. It was explained to me the first year they were there. But they're definitely happy in the noise and surrounded by (gentle) people.