Indietracks 2016 photos and memories

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
indiehorse
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: Indietracks 2016 photos and memories

Post by indiehorse » Tue Aug 02, 2016 21:43

Gopals did taste particular good this year and the choice at the vegan stall was excellent. I think I'm going to have to break one of my Indietracks traditions next year and have more than two meals over the three day weekend.

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 22:02

I got a medusa-like glare for playing Supertramp at GUTC one year. The DJ who dropped Drake has massive cojones IMO.
Last edited by Wheatabeat on Wed Aug 03, 2016 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck your tea room.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Aug 02, 2016 22:15

I've scraped the tattoos off my face and washed the glitter down the plughole. We've just finished watching the indietracks film which was waiting for us when we got home. Now I'm ready to return from being the Prettiest Person In Indiepop (as voted for by That Pete Green) back to my disguise as mild-mannered corporate computer programmer. But I'll be counting down the seconds until next July.

mavit

Post by mavit » Tue Aug 02, 2016 22:47

ruudboy wrote:the criminally underattended marquee disco
It's the dust. Next year I'm smuggling in a watering can, but then I say that every dry year, so don't hold your breath.

Or do hold your breath, if that helps with the dust.

northernlight

Post by northernlight » Wed Aug 03, 2016 00:03

ian wrote:
What a wonderful year, my favourite Indietracks of all I think. It seemed to be the Indietracks when everything clicked - the weather was just right, so many great bands, and it felt like everyone was in the best mood. Maybe it was just the sky - the sky looked amazing, and everyone took their cue from that!

Highlights:

White Town on the train. I knew it would be great, but it was unexpectedly wonderful. A really lovely atmosphere, Jyoti and the band were perfect, and the whistling in "Your Woman" was lovely - one of those shared moments that makes Indietracks what it is.
Saint Etienne and the balloons. The balloons! Such a simple thing but they spread so much joy.
The Aislers Set. I last saw The Aislers Set in 2003 supported by Comet Gain. Last night was the same again, and glorious. Such a fantastic band...but did I blink and miss it or did they not do "Fairnt Chairnt"? My favourite AS song and in my head the big big hit. I assumed it was a shoe-in for the set list....did I dream my way through it? It's possible, it was a dreamy set.
Haiku Salut. Oh oh oh. Right band, right time of day, the sky, the new songs, so wonderful.
Comet Gain, even though the sound was a little fuzzy where we were standing in the shed, but still..."You Can Hide Your Love Forever" is a classic, and the songs from "Howl Of The Lonely Crowd" sounded especially powerful. No "The Last Love Letters" - unless I dreamed through that too - but a great set nonetheless.

Lowlights:

I can't think of any. I had the best time. You lot are lovely.
Pretty much all of this!

I would echo Ian's thoughts on White Town. One of my favourite acoustic on-train sets - and the gentle whistling during 'Your Woman' was quite magical.
Saint Etienne were wonderful (although I appreciate they might not be everyone's cup of tea). Perfect setlist, and Hobart Paving followed by He's on the Phone a wonderful encore. And the balloons were fabulous - added to quite a euphoric mood to their set.
Haiku Salut were wonderful and loved their 2 new songs unveiled, plus another fabulous piece of electronica from their treasure trove of instruments.
Aislers Set also were perfect. They played just about every song that I love of theirs. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful

I would add Bearsuit who were amazing. Kudos to Lisa for appearing even when due to give birth. Thrilled to be able to catch what seems to be their final show.
Spook School were a triumph - a joyous start to the weekend.

Also finally caught the mini train, the wavy train and visited the museums. Lovely place, and wonderful, helpful staff.
The last call in the indoor shed. There was a whip round of donations to make that happen.
Many of the discos were outstanding. X Ray Spex being played at HDIF being one major highlight. Also whoever played Kleenex - I think maybe shaun in the marquee tent? Carly Rae Jepson, Bratmobile
Managing to lose my wallet and camera in the space of 30 minutes and lovely folk making quite an effort to get them to me (thank you so much!!)

The weather. No rain!

Any Lowlights? Haiku clashing with Trust Fund - and missing out on the veggie burgers is about as bad as it all got. A huge thank you to everyone involved in making this happen once again.

comfortzone
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/MarkSturdy

Post by comfortzone » Wed Aug 03, 2016 00:18

mavit wrote:
It's the dust. Next year I'm smuggling in a watering can, but then I say that every dry year, so don't hold your breath.

Or do hold your breath, if that helps with the dust.
Dust wasn't an issue last year! Eee, we used to dream of a bit of dust...

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

xandmatt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/xandmatt

Post by xandmatt » Wed Aug 03, 2016 00:27

smigs wrote:
deerful wrote:(Personally if Indietracks let me DJ I think I would spend the entire set looping the Postal Service, CHVRCHES, Owen Pallett, Grimes and PC Music and that's why Indietracks must never ever ever let me DJ.)
I'm starting the campaign to have deerful DJ next year right now.
*signs petition*

This was my second Indietracks - I only went for the one day last year but drove home and back for the Saturday and Sunday. I wish every festival I went to was in driving distance of my own bed and shower.

I really enjoyed it. Saturday was ace, Chrissy Barnacle, The Lovely Eggs, Falling and Laughing were great. I was surprised at how much I loved Emma Pollock and Saint Etienne, though. Sunday had some lovely surprises. Girlray were fab, Sonic the Comic were brill and Seazoo were someone I was only going to watch briefly but hooked me in.

I think Seazoo being great was the reason I missed Deerful as there was the queue into the church and couldn't get in! I was aiming to try and get in earlier. Darnit!
Also - the clashing of Trust Fund and Haiku Salut was a tough, tough decision to make, though I caught a but of both sets.

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Wed Aug 03, 2016 01:23

I heard Drake being played by some campers on the Indietracks campsite so I can't really understand why anyone would object to *one* song of his all weekend being dropped out of what 7.5 hours of festival DJing? If it pisses anyone off then GREAT, they're worrying too much about the indie and forgetting about the pop. Full disclosure: I'm a 41 year old man whose first ever attempt at karaoke was 'Hotline Bling'.

Anyhow....this year was wonderful, despite having to miss a fair chunk of Saturday to visit a poorly relative in Leicester. It's easy to forget just how overwhelming seeing EVERYONE again for the first time in an age can be. Arriving at 9pm to the festival site on Friday and hugging about 100 people in an hour just doesn't happen anywhere else. The Spook School were brillo, as was the lovely waft of Flowers down the road to Indietracks as I arrived (late) on the Saturday, as was BEARSUIT who were bloody thrilling, although I felt dreadful for cutting off a friend in delicate conversation to run down and dance to 'Hey Charlie, Hey Chuck' like Mr Motivator on Sunny D. I hadn't got the energy left to deal with the size of the crowd for The Lovely Eggs, sadly, but standing around passively enjoying Saint Etienne was quite lovely. Glad to get some balloon action from them even if missing out on the Eggs' ones.

Sunday was absolutely brilliant, easily one of my favourite ever Indietracks days. City Yelps were a marvellous wake up, Witching Waves were wonders, Lorna were a most pleasant passive listen from the train carriage bar (how have I not seen them in Nottingham??). Then Charla Fantasma! And Alimony Hustle, who I'd been looking forward to seeing for ages and managed to get a side of stage spot for. Another long awaited first viewing was Deerful, who was just DIVINE (not counting the defamative insinuation about nuns heheh). I was feel shattered again at this point, and had to miss the Emma's House finale due to needing a bit of a lay down, but the rest of the set had already more than done the job. MORE BLEEPS AT INDIETRACKS PLS. I'm not Darren Hayman's biggest fan but it was lovely to arrive back to the festival after a brief campsite refresh to find 'Hymn To The Cigarettes' getting a blast, and then off to see ACTUAL Comet Gain play a blinding set, the best I've seen them for a VERY long time. Rachel's overenthusiastic early chorus start on 'You Can Hide..' summed it up nicely, BURSTING with life, energy, passion. What a band. Even better than Not Comet Gain. And then Aislers Set! What to say. I was knackered and uncharacteristically sober at this point but it's impossible not to have your heart swell. Especially with Marianthi losing her shit a few yards away <3

I've never cried with joy so much so not-that-tipsy. And watching the Indietracks film yesterday brought the floods back again. This is such a special thing and I know for a fact it helps us all cope with a lot. For so many people this is a key part of our lives for so long and please may it live long and keep growing and being more and more inclusive in keeping with the spirit of the majority of those who continue to attend and recognising how we can keep making it better.

PS: The Sunday night campsite disco was tremendous. More Grimes at all discos ever please. Also more people desperate not to take any booze home.

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Wed Aug 03, 2016 01:25

Wheatabeat wrote:I got a medusa-like glare for playing Supertramp at GUTC one year. The DJ who dropped Drake has massive kojones IMO.
There was a great 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' intro for The Lovely Eggs, not sure if that was planned or not.

michael

Post by michael » Wed Aug 03, 2016 07:58

Hey northernlight, would you mind posting the Saint Etienne setlist? They have so many songs, I'm curious to know what they played.

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Wed Aug 03, 2016 08:12

indiehorse wrote:Gopals did taste particular good this year and the choice at the vegan stall was excellent. I think I'm going to have to break one of my Indietracks traditions next year and have more than two meals over the three day weekend.
Yes! I don't know if I was just very hungry this year, but everything I ate was fantastic. I only used Gopals and the Vegan stall, and I felt like I was eating a delicious range of fantasticalness.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Wed Aug 03, 2016 09:26

michael wrote:Hey northernlight, would you mind posting the Saint Etienne setlist? They have so many songs, I'm curious to know what they played.
Item in question:

ruudboy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/dalekvscat

Post by ruudboy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 09:49

mavit wrote:
I totally understand. I think there's still a thin coating on my arms even now.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Wed Aug 03, 2016 09:55

ruudboy wrote:I totally understand. I think there's still a thin coating on my arms even now.
I've had two baths since indietracks and my skin is still dusty! Saturday night's dust left me without voice when I got up Sunday morning. I think I built up immunity though as I was fine on Monday.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:14

Not feeling the "good festival, but the music was a bit meh" thing. I thought this was the best line-up ever! Each to their own and all that, obvs.

Can I just thank everyone who joined in the Iceland thing during my set? Thanks. I'll die a happy man because of you.

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:37

humblebee wrote: I thought this was the best line-up ever!
Said the man who played an excellent set.

Seriously though, I agree, I think this was a really strong line-up - the music was great. Also, the food was great, the people were great even the weather was great - the only thing that wasn't great were the flights to and from Sweden, but I don't think there is much Team Indietracks can do about that.

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:29

frankie

Post by frankie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:25

I had a smashing time this year, and I’m very grateful to Team Indietracks for booking me again. My main regret was being so broken from Saturday that I was completely wiped out for Sunday and could barely get myself dressed let alone back on the bus to Butterley. I wish I had some kind of Indietracks throttle that I could apply on the Saturday :(

As much as I enjoyed playing on a train (and it completed my set of playing on every stage!) – I had a few people grumbling that they couldn’t hear much from the back of the carriage when the train was moving (my fault completely for having so many stupid quiet songs) and also that they were getting a bit too old to be sat cross-legged on the floor for 45 minutes (I know I certainly couldn’t manage that these days with the state of my knees) and the staff were adamant that everyone had to sit down. Except I got to stand up and I didn’t even fall over when the train stopped. A small victory for me I felt!

I think generally the train sets are a big commitment to make as an audience member as you’re effectively trapped for 45 minutes and guaranteed to miss two other bands (three if you include the Merch tent sets) so I was very grateful to everyone who came and watched me – I absolutely never expected a full carriage. Honoured is not a big enough word.

As for the Drake issue – I like Hotline Bling but I don’t much like One Dance that’s been at number one for a million weeks. I’m not sure where that leaves me, but suffice to say Indietracks has consistently had awesome DJ sets every year and that’s because they choose DJs who know how to get people dancing regardless of the genre. It’s all just beats and notes – if it moves your soul and moves your feet who cares what genre it is?

lloydybwoy

Post by lloydybwoy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:55

Spot on Frankie. Your set was wonderful, by the way - from someone who was stood in the gap between the two coaches at the back and could only really hear you when the train had stopped, it was still ace.

MJHibbett

Post by MJHibbett » Wed Aug 03, 2016 16:02

Michael Quentin wrote:As for next year, who's going to be the first to play a Drake cover?
An indie cover of a hip hop song? At Indietracks? I can't imagine that ever working.

I had a lovely time, especially getting FACEACHE from GRINNING so much at Po, seeing PALS, sacrificing my knees for Frankie, and finally seeing the PRIMAL POWER of the can crushing.

No lowlights, the only Positive Improvements I can imagine would be an extra foodstand - pizza seems to a) be more popular at festivals this year but b) always end up with an hour long waiting list!