NYC Popfest! 6/12 - 6/15

and one pop mayhem!
String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Re: NYC Popfest! 6/12 - 6/15

Post by String Bean Jen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:02 pm

There are also a couple pictures of cuties from the Popfest, including a bunch of Peggy Pains at the Rebel Waltz's blog (yes, it's a bit vain of me to post, but it was sweet to be asked!) from the posting dates June 12-18.

There's more than one use for every part

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:20 am

Gah, the comedown is starting. I think I may have overdone the "Eeeeeeeee! Isn't everything brilliant?" thing. Looking at pictures of Peggy certainly helps but, y'know...

yubo

Post by yubo » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:43 pm

aw. how is your foot? just think of how it got huge in protest of american soil and you'll think, it wasn't really that much fun.
Butt.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:07 pm

I've forgotten how it feels to have crystalball's head on my shoulder
I've forgotten how it feels to have everyone spitting in your ear to scream over the music
I've forgotten how impressed I was with the fact that SBJ just does not sweat
I've forgotten the exquisite glimpses of Yubes's purple lids
I've forgotten the exact moment when my vocal chords shred mid-"WHEN YOU'RE A JET, YOU'RE A JET ALL THE WAY, FROM YOUR FIRST CIGARETTE TO YOUR LAST DYING DAY"
I've forgotten how the pizza tasted; even though I'm not sure I had any recollection of eating it the first place
I've forgotten the craziest man ever on the 1
I haven't quite forgotten the feeling of that guy elbowing my pint and half of it spilling into my dress and pooling at the bottom of my bra and how icky that felt and how I nearly cried at the beautiful gesture of paba's girlfriend offering me a spare bra (in a club??) when I'd only just met her. *sniff*
I've forgotten the feel of the gentle but playful squeezes of cuppies hands on my ass
I've forgotten how Curt pobpah smells

I'm coming down.
Hard.

yubo

Post by yubo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:55 am

alongwalkhome wrote: I've forgotten the exquisite glimpses of Yubes's purple lids.
I'd like to state that that isn't at all as gross as it sounds.
Butt.

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:08 pm

alongwalkhome wrote: I've forgotten how impressed I was with the fact that SBJ just does not sweat
Aww, girl, you mean you never got a sweaty hug from me? Next time. I assure you; you did not want to whiff my dress after the Saturday night gig and disco extravaganza.

French speakers: a lad from Paris posted a little review of the Popfest on his blog (and used one of my sexy Cats on Fire pics):
söndag, juni 22, 2008

Voilà, c'est terminé : New York, sa Popfest, son Williamsburg, son Upper West Side, son Cakeshop, ses delis, ses diners, tout ce qui a fait de cette semaine une drôle d'expérience. A la New York Popfest, cet événement de l'indiepop et de la tweepop comme je l'ai toujours aimée,

il y a eu des révélations, il y a eu des confirmations, il y a eu de bonnes et de mauvaises surprises. Commençons par les révélations.
The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart sont des voisins, ils sont de New York et ont illuminé le Music Hall of Williamsburg ce soir-là. Plus catchy que les très attendus Mahogany, plus jeunes que les ex-Sarah de The Orchids, plus bruyants que les classiques Ladybug Transistor... Pas très compliqué de deviner, en écoutant This Love Is Fucking Right ou A Teenager In Love, vers quel coin ils regardent et écoutent pour composer : grosse influence Pastels (j'aurais dû mettre mon badge "Pastelism") dans la plus pure tradition C86, parfaite saturation de la guitare à la early-My Bloody Valentine ou Razorcuts, grandes mélodies à la Sarah Records... le tout porté par une jeunesse si énergique et contagieuse qu'on se sent pousser des ailes. Parce que si les références sont écrasantes, ce qu'ils en font est aérien... C'est carrément la révélation de la Popfest, en ce qui me concerne, il faut absolument qu'ils viennent à Paris un de ces quatre. Leur Myspace permet de se faire une idée, mais autant commander tout de suite leur EP chez Insound.
La deuxième révélation venait du Nord (of course) de l'Europe (ben oui), mais pas de Suède. Les Cats On Fire sont finlandais et ont joué à deux reprises, pour cette Popfest. La première, vers une heure du matin, dans le cadre du club indé Mondo : de l'avis général, ils étaient nases et n'ont pas donné le meilleur d'eux mêmes. Pareil pour moi, le jetlag ne m'a pas permis de rester jusqu'à la fin de leur concert, mais bon, j'étais pas convaincu de toute façon. Mais ils ont eu une session de rattrapage, le dimanche soir, à l'Union Pool de Williamsburg. Et là, le déclic. Mattias, le chanteur, n'y est pas pour rien : c'est lui qui tient le groupe, c'est lui qui déchire de charisme, avec cette froideur scandinave, sa danse syncopée, sa voix. Les Cats on Fire, c'est un peu Lawrence de Felt qui chante à la place de Morrissey dans les Smiths. Ou l'inverse, peut-être. De toute façon, c'est un grand moment de pop lyrique, parfaite, inspirée, elle aussi complètement libérée d'influences qui peuvent paraître embarrassantes.

Voilà pour les révélations. Pour le reste, je me tiendrai la bride courte. Dans la catégorie des confirmations, il y a Pants Yell! bien sûr, ou the Ladybug Transistor... Dans celle des légères déceptions, les Ecossais : The Hermit Crabs (set trop court sans doute), ou The Orchids... Dans les bonnes surprises : la tweepop de Tullycraft...

Photo : Merci à String Bean Jen pour sa photo des Cats on Fire...

Outcognito
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Outcognito » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:29 pm

I've just about got my breath back now and what an incredible popfest that was! To have the chance to spend time with people I've admired from afar, my indiepop activists friends and indiepop people I'd not met before was energising, uplifting, inspiring and a serious soul tonic - and to get to drink beer with them all and chat about all sorts of things indiepop was a sheer joy! No wonder real life is taking a little adjusting to even now, a couple of weeks after the event. My memory of it is like a series of flashbacks - significant moments like being hunched over my suitcase outside the apartment in Harlem and hearing Marianthi's "hi Pete" greeting behind me and feeling so happy to see her and Christos.....the first night at the sweltering Cake Shop......meeting and chatting with Jennifer, Roque, Anna and Declan.....seeing Shirley and Peggy again......looking forward to seeing the Pains but missing their set, sheltering from thunderstorms under a metal porch outside someone's apartment.........Sean buying beers and more beers......Marianthi's research on great places to eat and drink, what to see and where to find Amy Linton's coffee shop......the Bestie Burger day of relaxation in the sunshine - chatting, laughing and joking around with Roque, Anna and Sean......watching Tullycraft play Fuck Me I'm Twee......Declan telling me that he's recorded a version of Protex's Don't Ring Me Up.....hearing first hand about Jennifer's trials with the Chicago diy-popshow police......the name-names Pants Yell
t-shirts.....Sandy walking barefoot on hot sand........not having the stomach to join my apartment friends in an up and down, side to side fairground ride (the Alton Towers pirate ship experience left me scarred years ago!)......being mistaken for an Orchid.....seeing the greatest fringe in indiepop worn as by Peggy......Jennifer's beautiful dresses.....Kevin's friendliness......Kip's kindness, generosity and inflatible mattress (the food and drinks are on me next time we meet!).......Brooklyn's arty atmosphere........stumbing into the second Cats On Fire show, witnessing the most perfect picture framing of a stage and having my breath taken away by the sheer beauty of their sound and songs.....the restaurant on the final night, Kip appearing with beers for everyone and the impassioned music chat.....hearing Age Of Consent at a disco for the first time in years.....meeting Yubo and Marcy.....debating whether Roque should write an indiepop book......chatting with Marcy about learning difficulties, children and Ian McCullock and Will Sargeant in playing Stoke......chatting with Jennifer about zines.......the loser table and fun and laughter with Roque and Anna......Declan bringing beers into the apartment and sorting out the tv channels after we'd managed to mess up the receiver box......Roque introducing me to Ville......Stuart's story that someone had said to him that the Indietracks festival looks pretty good and that he should try to go to it.......and the fabulous sofa bed to collapse into every night!
Last edited by Outcognito on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's so easy when the door is wide open.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:51 am

*sob*

Good times, Pete. Here's to next year.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Aw, bravo!

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:04 pm

Oh, Pete, you are the most wonderful thing! :smooch:

And Marianthi, your signature is making me laugh. I'm really visualizing some thug in some loud club in Chicago coming up to me all tough-like and sayin':
Alright ladies? Any of yous into Talulah Gosh?
Brilliant.

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:28 pm

aw, pete! that totally made me want to do a little cry. but in a good way! me and decky were just thinking it would be so great to go back every year just for the craic.

(oh yeah, that's me being phony irish. but i'm quoting. sorry everyone.)
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

Outcognito

Post by Outcognito » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:43 am

Oh yes, indeed!
crystalball wrote:*sob*

Good times, Pete. Here's to next year.

Outcognito

Post by Outcognito » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:47 am

String Bean Jen wrote:Oh, Pete, you are the most wonderful thing! :smooch:
Aw, Jennifer - you're so sweet! X

Outcognito

Post by Outcognito » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:52 am

Alright ladies? Any of yous into Talulah Gosh?
What a great line!

farewellstand
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/farewellstand

Post by farewellstand » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:40 pm

Wow!!! I'm left speechless... Thank you all so much for coming and making NYC Popfest the success that it is!! It was wonderful meeting folks for the first time ( Marianthi, Sean Fortuna Pop..) and seeing those faces I see once a year that brighten my year ( Stuart Indietracks!!) Thanks especially to ALL the wonderful bands that played and the city of New York for being the lovely backdrop to this early summer festival of joy....
Looking forward to seeing ALL of you again next year, and thanks again. NYC popfest would not be what it is without you.
xoxox
Michael Murphy ( an NYC Popfest organizer)
ps. We have a few mix cds and t-shirts left, they will be up on the website soon and will be able to be purchasd via paypal.
pps. As it is impossible to keep up with all the good new music, feel free to forward/recommend bands for next year to me @ manchesterbythesea@gmail.com
" and when you smile you paint my..my whole world in.."