NYC Popfest! 6/12 - 6/15

and one pop mayhem!
squirrelboutique

Re: NYC Popfest! 6/12 - 6/15

Post by squirrelboutique » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:26 pm

You'll be fine! American Popfest audiences are fun and friendly!

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:36 pm

marksby wrote:I am bricking myself. Please be nice to us!
Speak for yourself. I am surly when I've had a few cupcakes.

Outcognito
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Outcognito » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:21 pm

Flying out tomorrow!
It's so easy when the door is wide open.

StKip
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Kipberman

Post by StKip » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:29 pm

stolenwine wrote:eeee! i just bought 2 passes. we're missing some of saturday and all of sunday, but i think getting a pass guarantees we'll get into the shows we want, right? i wonder what the stage times are for saturday - we probably have to leave around 5 to catch our flight home.
Just a heads up: SATURDAY JUNE 14:

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's Popfest show has been slightly rescheduled and our stage time is now 8 pm (we're going on first).

Also worth noting: Vivian Girls [tremendous Black Tambourine-esque garage pop greatness] Love is All and caUSE co-MOTION are playing Saturday Night at a DIY venue in Brooklyn...

Harket Motel
1142 Myrtle Ave
Brooklyn, NY

I know, I know... conflict of interests with the fest and all, but for all those out there who haven't heard Vivian Girls, they are HIGHLY recommended.

<3 <3 <3 <3

Kip

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:35 pm

StKip wrote:
stolenwine wrote:eeee! i just bought 2 passes. we're missing some of saturday and all of sunday, but i think getting a pass guarantees we'll get into the shows we want, right? i wonder what the stage times are for saturday - we probably have to leave around 5 to catch our flight home.

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's Popfest show has been slightly rescheduled and our stage time is now 8 pm (we're going on first).

Also worth noting: Vivian Girls [tremendous Black Tambourine-esque garage pop greatness] Love is All and caUSE co-MOTION are playing Saturday Night at a DIY venue in Brooklyn...

Harket Motel
1142 Myrtle Ave
Brooklyn, NY

I know, I know... conflict of interests with the fest and all, but for all those out there who haven't heard Vivian Girls, they are HIGHLY recommended.

<3 <3 <3 <3

Kip
The timing is torturous for overlapping w/your gig isn't it? When it rains it pours!

I, for one, being an old fart, am happy you're going on at 8. That means I can crap out before midnight should I have to (shhh, don't tell the cool kids).

Happy Popfest!

in search of lazy jane

Post by in search of lazy jane » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:50 am

StKip wrote:

That's a shame Sandy. Looks like your last show then will be the free Cake Shop afternoon one, which now seems to be Tullycraft, The Cannanes and Action Biker.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:22 pm

in search of lazy jane wrote:That's a shame Sandy. Looks like your last show then will be the free Cake Shop afternoon one, which now seems to be Tullycraft, The Cannanes and Action Biker.
No small potatoes!

I wish I could teleport to NYC so I don't have to drive. Other than that, hooray, bring it on! My mobile is on facebook if anyone wants to text, "Is that you over there, short person with short hair?!" in a darkened club. I'll be with Marianthiiiiiii and Sandyyyyyy (eeeeee) and Cuppieeeeee, Yubo-eeeee.

~Marcyyyyyy

shirleybeans

Post by shirleybeans » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:24 pm

Shirley Beans & NYC Popfest Present:
NYC INDIEPOP DANCE PARTY 2008!!

with DJs:
-Vivian Girls
-The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
-Cats on Fire
-Shirley Beans
(new york noise tv)

FREE!!! 21+
Sat June 14
11:30-4am
@ galapagos (in the back room)
70 n. 6th / williamsburg

marksby
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Where the stags lock antlers and give joyous bellow.

Post by marksby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:17 am

Just about to poke off to the airport. See y'all tonight in, uh, many hours!

P.S. - Buy Hermit Crabs CDs at your local merch table. Much cheapness! Songs OK if you like that sort of thing!

Life on Deck
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sanglot/

Post by Life on Deck » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Cannanes are playing at a place called Maxwell's tonight. Somewhere in New Football Jerseys. $8. That's like £4 in other currency.

They're not even playing headline. Good warm-up gig though.
Is there love in the sound of a closing door?

SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by SophieC » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Can Pop Patrol report in please, repeat can Pop Patrol report in please. we require a full debriefing of the mission.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:49 pm

OK. I had the most fun weekend ever. It could only have been more fun if squibooty and jamiec and the like were there having of the fun with me. I am still knackered even though I slept 47 hours last night. I still have no voice--this is from "eeee"ing in a most unlike-me manner, being squeezed repeatedly, excessive "WOOO"ing at fantastic bands, screaming over loud discos into people's ears, sobbing with joy, sobbing with sadness at having to leave, and cuppie asking me to sing the entire soundtrack of Westside Story at 4 am after the Mondo/Cats on Fire disco. Yes, I stupidly indulged her, but I was sharing a bed with her and, you know, I have been known to pass wind in my sleep, so I figured it was the least I could do for her.

I nearly exploded with happiness at getting to hang out with crystalball and her posse.

If you want music reviews, I'll leave that to someone else. My 500-word essay would be, "It was wicked awesome."

I have thrown some pictures up here. I really only got pix of POBPAH and The Orchids, cuz I was too busy (drunk) getting my groove on to remember to use my camera most of the time. I'm sure others were snapping away more liberally: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55082186@N ... 24/detail/

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Also there are lots of videos cropping up. I'm scared to look to closely as most of the angles are from behind me--emph on the BEhind.

The end of Cats on Fire's blinding set at Mondo's Friday (you may be able to see Yubo "The Dance Machine" Anorak bopping away if you look closely):

Love Is All covering Flock of S. at Cakeshop (couldn't get into that one--tiny venue):

My Teenage Stride doing at Williamsburg:

cuppie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/cuppie

Post by cuppie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:37 pm

All the music I saw was great but I think My Teenage Stride were especially wicked awesome. I felt kind of bad for Mono Taxi because their show went on at the same time the Ladybug Transistor were playing next door and so there were only about 15 people watching, but they were great!

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Marcy lost her voice, I lost a foot but our new disabilities only serve to highlight just how fucking awesome it all was! I had the best time too. It was amazing meeting so many people and just being able to hang out for a few days in the sunshine and in the pouring rain, surrounded by indiepop, alcohol and cupcakes. I <3 NY.

The Popfest was brilliantly organised and the whole experience of finding the venues and watching all those bands was completely exhilarating. The venues were packed every single night (and day) and there was dancing and a strong sense of occasion and everyone was incredibly lovely, helpful and enthusiastic. The opening night at the Cake Shop was a bit mad because there were a gazillion people there to see Love Is All and after being in the room for 3 hours, I almost fainted and never got to watch Love Is All. But The Secret History (ex-My Favorite) were amazing and In Interview were lovely as well (a bit jazzy maybe but I liked their style). Oh! Custer were OK but I was eating a cupcake upstairs for most of their set. That was also the night I finally got to talk to Linton and it's only because of Roque I managed to open my mouth because he wouldn't let me go without saying anything. I didn't actually talk of course, I merely mumbled "I-I-I love yourrrrr band, Linton" and made Sean Fortuna Pop! laugh.

The next night was US indiepop night and was as ace as I was hoping it would be. From Bubblegum to Sky were fantastic and their new songs were as brilliant as their old stuff, amazing powerpop energy. My highlights of the day though were Pants Yell! and Tullycraft. Pants Yell! play incredibly fast, so much faster than on record and they had made the most wonderful band T-shirt EVER. The biggest surprise for me were Tullycraft: I like them and everything but I was never crazy about them. Well, fuck me, they really are the *greatest* live! They got everyone going mental dancing and crowd-surfing and they were so much fun. So much fun and just so incredibly good at playing their instruments and they've got songs and they are ever so smiley (and unbelievably blonde). Then we all went to the indiepop dance party where Cats on Fire were playing and danced loads and loads and COF were OK but I thought they played for far too long (and didn't start until 1am, so I was knackered). I couldn't enjoy them. But I got to meet alongwalkhome and yubo that night so nothing matters. <3 <3 <3

Third night was when we went to Brooklyn. Brooklyn is amazing, kids. If you go to NYC, try and stay there. It was pouring down that day and we found refuge at a record shop which had a resident cat and a few copies of the super rare first Vivian Girls seven-inch. The venue was enormous, especially compared to the other two venues we'd been, and we almost didn't make it in because they were IDing ruthlessly and we weren't carrying our passports. But the Pobpah were, oh, they were... oh, you know... Amazing. They played quite a few new songs I hadn't heard before as well. Eeeee! My Teenage Stride were good although I find them a bit too rock for my liking - but they seemed to make everyone so happy. Aww! I totally missed Mahogany and Ladybug Transistor because I was catching up with everyone downstairs but I saw The Orchids and they were just brilliant and played a fantastic set. Dancing to 'Caveman' nearly killed me but it was so amazing seeing everyone around me dancing like mad and singing along too. It was just the best feeling. And wasn't the dance party afterwards bloody ace, you lot? We danced till we hurt.

The final day was so wonderful. The venue (Union Pool) was in Brooklyn so it was big and beautiful. It had a huge, bright pub-type room as you went in, then an outside space worthy of lyrical praise (with free barbecue from The Besties) and then the most beautiful little room as the venue for the live bands, with a stage that looked like a picture frame. Never seen anything prettier in my life. In between trying to rest my very swollen foot, talking to people, sulking for it being the last day, eating watermelon and exchanging hugs with everyone, I managed to catch One Happy Island (who were wonderful), The Hermit Crabs (yeah!), Cats on Fire (who were sooo much better this time and Mattias really excelled at the stage banter game) and The Cannanes, who I was really looking forward to seeing and were pretty much the perfect band to end the popfest. They were magical. I could stand there in pain listening to Frances' voice all day. They did 'Vivienne' as their encore and I thought we were all going to melt. Beautiful.

So yeah, it was pretty much the acest time ever. It's what happens when you mix pop and friends old and new and a truly fantastic city. I've got some really bad photos here. Let's all go there next year.
Last edited by crystalball on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: sorry, I edited out my name.

Life on Deck
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sanglot/

Post by Life on Deck » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Aww, Marianthi, that post just cheered me up no-end. What better way to describe all that excitement than to have you describe it for us! Is it Michael from my favorite who's gone on to form The Secret History, then? Or Andrea? Doesn't Andrea just dj now? Ooh, and The Cannanes. You saw the Cannanes!!! What's this gift you've gotten me? Is it The Cannanes!

You SAW THE CANNANES!

In fact, you were this close to THE CANNANES:

Is there love in the sound of a closing door?

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

My first post on anorak!

Post by String Bean Jen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:31 am

That was easily one of the best weekends of my life. Spending four days in a brilliant city with wonderful friends, new acquaintances, and indie pop stars; singing, dancing, drinking, and watching some of the best bands in the world. Could there be anything better?

Seeing the east coast brigade, many of whom I haven’t seen in years, was fab. (Sorry if I don’t get your anorak names correct) – Vanessa (Cuppie), Yubo, Leah (i’mpabafree), Taryn (t-fal), Aruni (for a minute) and of course Marcy (alongwalkhome) with her fabulous new sunshine pixie ‘do!

Hanging with my beautiful bobbed hair London-based lady friends Sandy (stolenwine) and Marianthi (crystalball) and their fantastic menfolk Decky and Christos was just the best. I wish I’d had more time with Sandy.

Meeting Pete Horowitz. I knew he was kind, talented, and inspirational but I was blown away. An amazing person with a huge heart. Andrew (headgoneastray) of the bay area – hilarious and awesome. Stuart Indietracks with the beautiful accent, enviable indie activities, and lovely partner, Jen.

Super sexy label owners Sean Fortuna POP! and Roque Cloudberry. So so so ace to talk with and meet both of you.

And the musical highlights?

Thursday
Joe Brooks/Foxgloves quietly but charmingly setting the stage for this fantastic weekend. He was wearing two pairs of socks and it was really cute. The bass lines of In Interview: funkalicious. Love is All getting me to dance despite feeling like I was in a sweaty underground cave being swallowed amongst giants. Goddamn, they are SO GOOD! Wish I could have sang Depeche Mode songs with them on the way home. Vegan cupcakes. L.E.S. crazy scenes. Mattias Cats on Fire walking into the deli, taking out a comb, and combing his quiff. Marianthi’s adorable fright at trying to talk to Linton.

Friday
Getting to Tullycraft too late and not getting let into the teeny tiny Piano’s despite having a pass (NOT a highlight then!). Pete’s Razorcuts t-shirt and welcoming hug. A cramped bar that felt like romantic London. Copious ace music played at Mondo (including aforementioned Razorcuts) like Heavenly and Talulah Gosh. Waiting in breathless anticipation to see hott Finnish boys play songs from my favorite album of 2007. One a.m. finally comes and Cats on Fire make me scream and dance until I want to fall over.

Saturday
A delightfully railroad station/cave-like bar called Hugs (how twee and appropriate!). A beautiful spacious venue with an upstairs club and downstairs bar. Free popcorn! David Hermit Crabs cracking me up despite him just stepping off a plane. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart – amazing. Every song sounded perfect. They brought people up from the bar where the club’s music is piped in (ace!). My Teenage Stride. Gedge guitar in overload. Love love love it. Mahogany – suddenly all fashionista, but still, guitars that make you feel like you’re on another planet. Stunning.

And then the Orchids. THE ORCHIDS! I never thought I’d see them. Why would I be so lucky? To see a legendary, long-standing band, a band whose songs I know so well, and that I hold dear to my heart. To see them with Marianthi as well. I could cry! Being against the stage flailing about and feeling everyone behind us doing the same. Oh my god. I think they may have played every song I requested as well. It could not have been better. Well, the venue should have let them do an encore. It’s The Orchids!

Am so spent I cannot stay upright for the Ladybug Transistor. But they sounded gorgeous through the piped-in music in the bar (did I mention how ace that feature is?).

Club next door at Galapagos. Ville Cats on Fire plays New Order, Jonathan Richman, and Pet Shop Boys (!!!). Mattias dances alone to Felt and Orange Juice. DJs play the most amazing mix of songs that are so fucking good, I almost want them to stop because my body cannot handle anymore. Siddeleys, Field Mice, the Go-Betweens. My GOD.

Sunday
Union Pool – a fantastic bar/patio/vaudeville-style club in Brooklyn. PERFECT venue to close out Popfest. Everyone’s hanging out in the sunshine getting burgers made for them by the Besties. There are name badge stickers. Marianthi makes star-pretty ones. Sean ends up as Bobby Gillespie and Joe ends up as Johnny Mar.

Somehow the schedule gets terribly behind and the later bands only get a half hour set each. Cats on Fire get another go (YAY!) and are even more brilliant (is that possible?!) as they get comfortable with us. Sound engineer tells them they have one more song left and Mattias firmly states they are from Finland and need two songs. I want to have this man’s elegant babies.

The Hermit Crabs are lovely while the Orchids sit closely to cheer on their fellow Scots. Exchanges are had in loud Scottish accents. Love! It’s wonderful to see people you know on stage doing something very well and expressing their talent. You feel like a proud parent.

I come back in for some of the Cannanes. It’s hard to pull yourself away from conversations with friends whom you get to see maybe once a year. Marianthi and Christos get maracas to shake to one of the songs. It is the cutest thing. The encore that the Cannanes play makes me blink back tears. They sing of wanting to be part of that scene, of a flat in London, of posters up on the wall in New York. It is the most appropriate song to end the fest on. My heart is soaring.

Everyone hangs about on the patio chatting. Mattias asks Martin about Barack Obama(!). We hope the pale Orchids are wearing sunscreen. There are lots of gorgeous people to look at and conversations to be had. Joe Foxgloves is talking to Mark Pipas about the football and making animated hand gestures. Later, a fan sits Joe down to talk to him about a song he played and how it reminded him of an underage girl he fancied, how it didn’t work out when she was of age, and how he was over it but wasn’t so much when he heard this certain song. This conversation goes on and it is really quite the funniest thing ever. Roque and Anna sit back and amuse themselves with this. I don’t want to leave.

The night eventually ends and hugs are given out. An impending rain cloud hovers. Do I have to go?

I have loads of photos and some videos that I’ll link to on here when they’re up. I love you guys.
Last edited by yubo on Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sorry, I had to edit out my name. It's a freakish name.
There's more than one use for every part

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:31 am

Jennifer! Hellooooo!
Aggi on the Mezzanine wrote:Is it Michael from my favorite who's gone on to form The Secret History, then?
Yes, it's Michael. I kept seeing him around thinking, "oh, it's Michael from My Favorite!" without realising that his band were playing. Kip told us that the girl singer in The Secret History is Mick Ronson's daughter.

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:43 am

alongwalkhome wrote: If you want music reviews, I'll leave that to someone else. My 500-word essay would be, "It was wicked awesome."
Just like him from My Teenage Stride would say? ;)
alongwalkhome wrote:I have thrown some pictures up here. I really only got pix of POBPAH and The Orchids, cuz I was too busy (drunk) getting my groove on to remember to use my camera most of the time. I'm sure others were snapping away more liberally: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55082186@N ... 24/detail/
Yours were the first pictures I saw. There's nothing finer during post-holiday wallowing-in-a-pool-of-misery time than staring at pictures all day. Thanks, girl!

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:54 am

Helloooo Marianthi! Your words are lovely. It is these and pictures and the videos (thank you, Marcy!) that keep me going right now as I return to 'normal' life. Why can't every day be like (this past) Sunday?