The Sarah Records thread

popbands, poplabels, poprecords

Moderator: shaved head thrills

User avatar
soft revolution
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 18:48
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc
Location: somewhere in the bullring
Contact:

Post by soft revolution » Fri Oct 19, 2007 15:35

davo wrote:Bloody hell, did i write that !?! That doesn't make any sense really does it, i had a work do last night and quite probably had too much free booze.
tee hee, you should hear some of the things I come out with after free booze :)
davo wrote:If i was new to the scene (sorry, but it's the easiest term) then yeah, it would make me sit up, i still don't see the NME devoting a page to Amelia or Calvin or Sarah records but i'm willing to be proved wrong.
They probably wont with older stuff. If there's another Indietracks festival I can see that being the sort of thing that would make them write an article about some of the bands involved though.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

User avatar
darvé
Posts: 2037
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/darve
Location: London

Post by darvé » Fri Oct 19, 2007 15:53

soft revolution wrote:
davo wrote:Bloody hell, did i write that !?! That doesn't make any sense really does it, i had a work do last night and quite probably had too much free booze.
tee hee, you should hear some of the things I come out with after free booze :)
davo wrote:If i was new to the scene (sorry, but it's the easiest term) then yeah, it would make me sit up, i still don't see the NME devoting a page to Amelia or Calvin or Sarah records but i'm willing to be proved wrong.
They probably wont with older stuff. If there's another Indietracks festival I can see that being the sort of thing that would make them write an article about some of the bands involved though.
They have the odd retrospective though, when Prince gave away his album earlier in the year they had a full page article, kinda like 'Prince 101' the way it was written and what it said was very much geared to the average NME reader being 15-16 years old and not knowing anything older than (for instance) the Libertines, which to me seems to be NME's current year zero.

Like i said, i dont think the LC single will generate an article like that, but maybe your right, if theres an indietracks next summer (fingers crossed) then they may well pull something like that out the bag. Or they'll give it a cursory 1/3 column review and deem it to be wet/twee/soft (delete as applicable) and go back to trying to tell me The Pigeon Detectives are going to change my life.

I'd still be quite happy for the indiepop scene and the NME scene never to cross paths.

User avatar
soft revolution
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 18:48
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc
Location: somewhere in the bullring
Contact:

Post by soft revolution » Fri Oct 19, 2007 16:40

davo wrote: Or they'll give it a cursory 1/3 column review and deem it to be wet/twee/soft (delete as applicable) and go back to trying to tell me The Pigeon Detectives are going to change my life.
Did they not change yours? I definately feel 12% more grumpy these days.
davo wrote:I'd still be quite happy for the indiepop scene and the NME scene never to cross paths.
Its that classic scientific paradox that you cant measure something without changing it's state. I would like to not have to worry about where all the people are going to come from everytime I put bands on though.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

borntohang
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 22:56
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Kalmar, Sweden
Contact:

Post by borntohang » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:26

A fine label by all means... But what would Sarah be without The Smiths?

And look at all the pale imitators that has followed in Sarah's footsteps. Yawn.

Top 5 Sarah:
1. You should all be murdered - Another Sunny Day
2. Sensitive - The Field Mice
3. You deserve more than a maybe - St Christopher
4. So said Kay - The Field Mice
5. Reproduction is pollution - Shelley
You dreamt of mountains but sometimes a hole is more comfortable.........

User avatar
aorta
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 22:37
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Balamory

Post by aorta » Sat Nov 17, 2007 01:41

I wondered if some of the excitement around Sarah has died down. I saw a Golden Dawn record on ebay for cheap the other day.
IT狂人
if i could change your mind, i'd really love to break your heart

Jangloid Mark
Posts: 1458
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 18:38
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/JanglyMark
Location: Swansea, Wales
Contact:

Post by Jangloid Mark » Sun Nov 18, 2007 17:44

Just checked out the LC single. It's...ok. The sort of thing that could be fun when drunk...the blokes voice is a little annoying, though. I'd like to hear their Heavenly cover...

As far as twee/indiepop/Sarah/Matinee/Siesta etc. being covered in the likes of the NME, I'm torn in two.

I find that the NME have a MUCH narrower scope than they used to...if they like anything outside of that, it usually gets the 'not all [insert genre here] is shit' tag.

With indiepop stuff, you get all the usual stereotypes every. single. time.
Most stuff simply gets ignored.

On the other hand, when I talk to people, supposedly into indie, about stuff I like, I get blank faces & 'never heard of'. It would be nice if people at least had an idea what I was talking about.
Love is a weakness in the knees...it's dangerous on the stairs...

Bandcamp : https://janglymark.bandcamp.com/
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/Jangly.Mark
Skype : Jangly Mark (feel free to call me)

gofelt
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 14:24
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bachelorkisses

Post by gofelt » Sun Nov 18, 2007 17:56

Jangloid Mark wrote:Just checked out the LC single. It's...ok. The sort of thing that could be fun when drunk...the blokes voice is a little annoying, though. I'd like to hear their Heavenly cover...

As far as twee/indiepop/Sarah/Matinee/Siesta etc. being covered in the likes of the NME, I'm torn in two.

I find that the NME have a MUCH narrower scope than they used to...if they like anything outside of that, it usually gets the 'not all [insert genre here] is shit' tag.

With indiepop stuff, you get all the usual stereotypes every. single. time.
Most stuff simply gets ignored.

On the other hand, when I talk to people, supposedly into indie, about stuff I like, I get blank faces & 'never heard of'. It would be nice if people at least had an idea what I was talking about.
Bravo, well said, Mark!
I agree 100% with you about LC.
As for the NME, I think it's not worth even a minute of your time to read it.
I slice the surface here beside you/Lungs filled liquid yell I love you/Sound moves further underwater
Deep and dark my submarine bells groan in greens and grey/Mine would chime a thousand times/To make you feel okay..

User avatar
soft revolution
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 18:48
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc
Location: somewhere in the bullring
Contact:

Post by soft revolution » Mon Nov 19, 2007 22:48

Fucking hate the NME. More so now. They slagged off the concept of independently releasing music the other day in the letters page, claiming that the quality on indies was low.

Boils my blood.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

User avatar
soft revolution
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 18:48
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc
Location: somewhere in the bullring
Contact:

Post by soft revolution » Tue Feb 12, 2008 23:48

There's rumblings on the Official Website which Sarah Records now seems to have - http://home2.btconnect.com/smoke/shinkansen.htm
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

User avatar
Pop Kid
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:49
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boyinky
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Pop Kid » Wed Feb 13, 2008 00:04

soft revolution wrote:There's rumblings on the Official Website which Sarah Records now seems to have - http://home2.btconnect.com/smoke/shinkansen.htm
Good spotting.

Long gone are the days I used to regularly check that particular site for updates.

User avatar
ian
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:19
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: The Sarah Records thread

Post by ian » Wed Mar 30, 2011 19:54

I've put together a little Sarah Records podcast.

On May 15 2003, Matt and Clare of Sarah Records DJed at HDIF at the Buffalo Bar in London. I asked them to play their pick of the Sarah releases and this is what they selected.

Listen here - http://www.mixcloud.com/hdif/hdif-podcast-10/

It's pretty long - an hour and 40 mins, but it's cracking stuff. And for anyone who thinks that Sarah just put out sensitive jangle records, there's a great variety of stuff here, from raucous indie rock to shoegaze and dance pop and beyond. Plus a lot of sensitive jangle stuff too of course!
Last edited by ian on Thu Feb 02, 2012 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rocker
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 15:47
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rockerq
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: The Sarah Records thread

Post by Rocker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 20:29

That Mediafire link seems to just bring up an error message...
Cheers!

Rocker

Listen to my show at http://www.dandelionradio.com - the internet radio station inspired by John Peel.

User avatar
simplethings
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 17:22
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/floatmybed
Location: Maryland

Re: The Sarah Records thread

Post by simplethings » Wed Mar 30, 2011 20:40

I agree with aorta, that although there is plenty of lovely stuff coming out now, for someone who doesn't have a local pop scene or can't go to shows, Sarah releases are just as appealing as modern songs. As someone who never got to listen to classic indie label releases when they were coming out, it's still a neat thing to experience. It's not retrospective for everyone.

Interesting comment on 'anglophobia' in places like Indonesia and the Philippines.

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:35
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: The Sarah Records thread

Post by RITH » Wed Mar 30, 2011 22:52

Rocker wrote:That Mediafire link seems to just bring up an error message...
Works fine here!

User avatar
ian
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:19
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: The Sarah Records thread

Post by ian » Wed Mar 30, 2011 22:57

Rocker wrote:That Mediafire link seems to just bring up an error message...
Works fine for me too.

User avatar
northernlight
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 18:55
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Old Smokey

Re: The Sarah Records thread

Post by northernlight » Wed Mar 30, 2011 23:19

I got error messages on the first 2 attempts - but - hurrah! - worked on the 3rd attempt!

Thanks for this, Ian. Noticed a nice smattering of Even as We Speak. Feral Pop Frenzy a fab little album.

User avatar
ian
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:19
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: The Sarah Records thread

Post by ian » Thu Mar 31, 2011 00:18

northernlight wrote:I got error messages on the first 2 attempts - but - hurrah! - worked on the 3rd attempt!

Thanks for this, Ian. Noticed a nice smattering of Even as We Speak. Feral Pop Frenzy a fab little album.
Glad you enjoyed it! It took ages to put this one together, so I'm glad it's been worth it. I've got most of these songs on vinyl so I had to track down mp3s, which took ages. And then once I'd put the whole thing together, I realised that Garageband had clipped the intros and outros of loads of the songs, so I had to redo it, pretty much. And then I realised that the volume suddenly dropped for Atta Girl and I'd set the volume of the rest to match that, so I had to redo that. Some of these podcasts take me a couple of hours to put together - this one took a day and a half! I was beginning to question my sanity by the end of it, when I was redoing it for the umpteenth time.

Sorry, way too much information there, but I just needed to vent for a second! Hahaha! Move along, nothing more to see here...

User avatar
mightypie
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:05

Re: The Sarah Records thread

Post by mightypie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 18:56

over £100 for a twenty year old fanzine
Screen Shot 2011-11-07 at 18.47.jpg
Sarah 4
and yes I do have a copy
Hey - you with the good taste and the sharp wit!

User avatar
boney
Posts: 1767
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 08:18
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: The Sarah Records thread

Post by boney » Sun Dec 25, 2011 00:29

Got a helluva surprise yesterday. I wandered into RockaBoom record shop in Leicester to look to pick up a couple of bits and they currently have a load of Sarah 7"s in at decent prices. You don't that often see Field Mice 7"s up on record shop walls! The shop manager was their previous owner. I only bought a couple before escorting myself off the premises.

User avatar
timahall
Posts: 1154
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 18:43
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/timahall
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: The Sarah Records thread

Post by timahall » Thu Feb 02, 2012 13:49

I'm visiting a friend in Plymouth at the end of the month and i'm travelling via Bristol. I've never been there before so I thought i'd take advantage of the few hours i'll be there to see some Sarah landmarks. I started to put together a map on Google Maps here - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208 ... 1,0.877533. Is there anywhere else I should include? I'll not see most of these places but I was going to make the map as thorough as possible. I'm thinking of places from the photographs adorning the record sleeves (most of which I don't have as I was about 14 when Sarah stopped).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest