Veronica Falls

popbands, poplabels, poprecords

Moderator: shaved head thrills

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: Veronica Falls

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 01, 2013 17:12

a layer of chips wrote:New record is "best indiepop album of all-time", screams The Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/ja ... ing-review
Ha! yeah. More of a 'singles' man myself. But this is a good record. And a lot of indiepop from back in the day was EPs and 7s rather than full on albums - wasn't it?
not really here

gofelt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bachelorkisses

Post by gofelt » Fri Feb 01, 2013 18:06

a layer of chips wrote:New record is "best indiepop album of all-time", screams The Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/ja ... ing-review
Really???!!!!! Don't get me wrong, I like most of the tracks of their new album, but I can name at least 60-70 albums as the greatest indiepop albums of all-time-maybe Veronica Falls' record is one of them but surely not the best one.
I slice the surface here beside you/Lungs filled liquid yell I love you/Sound moves further underwater
Deep and dark my submarine bells groan in greens and grey/Mine would chime a thousand times/To make you feel okay..

a layer of chips
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by a layer of chips » Fri Feb 01, 2013 18:08

By the length of the review I'm guessing he listened to the record once whilst pissed/very happy/both.

Still, nice to get a review in a national paper, eh?

linus

Post by linus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 19:03

I rarely read guardian/observer music journalist reviews, I'm rather dismissive of them, mostly embarassment at a phase I went through at college where all I seemed to do was read guardian/observer music journalist reviews, believing them to be actually quite good- anyway I grew out of that, the acne dried up and my balls eventually dropped (one took much longer than the other... typical!) and as a result now hold that guardian/observer music journalist reviews are for nervous ninnies (in cardigans and hair slides) who've never read proper cutting edge music reviews like what you might find on the pitchforks and the quietii... however I read a review by michael hann last year (any relation to judith?), quite by chance, and was somewhat impressed, it was thankfully quite short so felt crisp and fresh like really good lettuce, anyway this new review by michael hann of the veronica falls lp is probably the greatest ever piece of writing by a guardian/observer music journalist, period (admittedly that's nothing special given the obvious limitations of being a guardian/observer music journalist). so yeh, the greatest ever piece of writing (in the guardian/observer about music), even though I haven't actually read the work of guardian/observer music journalists in over 15 years I feel eminently qualified to say that because of that brief period in my youth that I look back at with withering disdain

yes, as much as I rack my brains I can't think of any writing by a guardian/observer music journalist that's a good as michael hann's one paragraph review of the second veronica falls lp

is that enough sarcasm for now?

actually I've got some more... I bet michael will be delighted to see himself bigged up on a shitey wee sub-sub genre music forum, it must be nice to get a review on the anorak forum, I bet he'll skip to work next week with a right spring in his step

well done, michael

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 01, 2013 19:09

a fog of ideas wrote:
well done, michael
I had a brief tweet conversation with him last week about the said album - I think he genuinely thinks it the best 'indiepop' record of all time. He used to post on the HDIF message board (is that still a thing?) about 6 or 7 years ago. Am sure we had heated debates about pointless bands, back then, somethings don't change I guess.
not really here

linus

Post by linus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 19:12

if anyone starts a 'So, guys, ladies, what is the greatest indiepop LP of all time?' thread... well, seriously, there will be repercussions

you have been warned

carney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/drcarney

Post by carney » Fri Feb 01, 2013 19:39

I think it's dead good. The album, that is.

lloydybwoy

Post by lloydybwoy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 21:08

It is, rather, isn't it? Very sparkly.

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:11

he posted on here a few times a coupla years back as well, didn't he? in a convo about the word twee, which obviously is a rare occurence

anyway, i think it's a very lovely lp but not as good as the first one

i think they miss the faux-goff bits, basically
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:57

indiansummer wrote:he posted on here a few times a coupla years back as well, didn't he? in a convo about the word twee, which obviously is a rare occurence
Do you know what? Credit is due to Michael, there, because we told him why we thought the t-word was bad, and he said he couldn't say 'indiepop' because people would think it meant the Hoosiers or something, and we said, well, I can't quite remember what we said then, but it was a good discussion, and it looks from that review like he might have taken something from it, maybe? The last thing I want is to have the twee discussion again, so let's not; let's just say fair play to Michael for listening and taking responsibility and acting.

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:03

trudat

linus

Post by linus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33

Rack one's brains and it's still a struggle to come up with hard to think of an album of indiepop – in the most purist sense of the term – anywhere near as good as the second from Veronica Falls.
in my view- which isn't paid by the word- the second lp by veronica falls is ok but not as good as the first one, your new best friend michael can't think of any albums by indiepop bands that are 'anywhere near as good' as the second best album by veronica falls

he should try listening to some more 'indiepop' records, maybe?

I can think of loads... not that it's a contest, it's really not, they all add to 'the conversation' one way or another, some resonate more deeply- and it's not about consensus, unless it is (um...)

I'm beginning to hate the word 'indiepop' more and more, it neuters and it dilutes and it stymies... and it doesn't feel like it reflects what the 'thing' is in a way that gets non-scene people interested or even curious (or even people around the scene, people in the scene who don't identify with the scene, type stuff)

perhaps that's a good thing?

I wonder if veronica falls even want to be labelled 'indiepop'?

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49

ain't that the problem with all genre/subgenre names? i'm listening to Codeine right now and thinking of a minor debate we had about post-rock, for instance, and how that made sense at a particular time but now seems restrictive - for instance i know loads of people who just use post-rock as a byword for 'a bit indie and instrumental and probably repetitive'. that seems totally reductive and not very much to do with what i love about The White Birch or Spiderland, for instance. equally i suppose indiepop isn't necessarily reflective of a community that can embrace, say, Sarandon, Sourpatch and The Smittens - especially when 'indie' means something else to the vast majority of people and they don't give a toss whether you add the word 'pop' on the end, or why and when you might place a hyphen or a space to allegedly indicate something different

meh

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Wed Feb 06, 2013 15:00

I don't *really* want to pick this one up again but bear with me: I was just editing a piece at work about BS Johnson, written by someone who worked for his publishers in the sixties. She was talking about how hard it was to get anyone interested in what he was doing but they kept doing it regardless and took all his crazy ideas seriously and believed in him and carried on and had fun... and how now, after all these years, still unsure if people really *get* him, it's amazing to be able to read his books, which would have otherwise remained unpublished and ultimately forgotten. And it made me think about indiepop and all our worries about how other people understand it (or not) and insularity and what's indiepop and what isn't. But, really, everything is out there for us to fall in love with and for everyone else to discover if they want. Cheap records, cheap gigs, amazing bands, all over the country and the world, a lovely festival, incredible people... it's all we can do. And if someone listened to the Veronica Falls album and went "WOAH! Best thing EVER!" then, y'know, great. It's a brilliant record. The harmonies!

All I really want is for gofelt to stop being in a huff about that Guardian review so we can have our dinner in peace.

linus

Post by linus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 16:28

when I was about fifteen/sixteen and fed up with being told I listened to 'weird' or 'obscure' music it dawned on me that my response should be something along the lines of 'there's nothing obscure about this music, you can jump on a bus and go to parrot records in harlow or tracks in hertford and it's all there for sale... you can switch on the radio in the evening and there it is again on radio one, 'the nation's favourite'... you can pick up the nme or melody maker or sounds or zigzag and read about the bands I like from that very newsagent just across the road over there... there's nothing obscure about it, and thousands of people do what I do so it's not that weird either, it's just something else to do, so please don't sneer or look down on me, I just picked up this record instead of that record... I don't consider myself special or better for doing so- the real enemy isn't this smalltown boy (run away, turn away, run away), it's the iron maiden in number ten and her name is mrs thatcher, frankie say relax, war war is stupid and people are stupid, white lines (don't do it), just say no- no! just say no, do the safety dance'

it was the eighties

of course, despite being terribly precious as a youth, I never did get to spit out this response instead I probably went 'ugh?' and tried to cover my eyes up with my fringe forgetting I had a quiff

thing is, I agree with you, I agree with everyone, I just loathe having to view a half decent review in the observer or guardian or whatever it was as 'a good thing' or a sign that 'indiepop finally gets recognition it deserves'... because I don't think, in my inimitable bratty way, that this is how one should measure success in indiepop but depressingly it seems it maybe just might be though

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 16:54

i don't think i give two hoots about the success of indiepop these days

well... i've certainly cared about things like 'Good Luck should be huge, why do only punx (how one should spell punk(s) these days, apparently, bleh) know who they are, why aren't they all over the radio and magazine covers and stuff'. and i've thought things like Urusei Yatsura getting to number 40 represented some sort of victory, although i'm not sure how or why, or for whom. and then i've been a poncey twatty teenager and got all stroppy about bands getting bigger and releasing naffer records as the exciting edges get sanded down for mass consumption

maybe it's because i'm riding a caffeine high and feeling rather zen right now, but i don't really care that much about that stuff these days (or i try not to anyway)

indiepop and punk are just factions of one big diy thing to me, and i'm more interested in bands (or even individual records) and how successful they are in terms of 'is it any good?' than whether the graun likes them or not

obviously it's fun to read and agree with or feel irked by or even row about reviews in other (mainstream?) media, but ultimately i'm not too concerned about it

cheers to Veronica Falls for getting a good review, i hope they do well out of it (albeit not so well that bellends start turning up to their shows). but i'm not going to start worrying about what this means for indiepop because a) it doesn't matter, it won't affect how or why i love what i love, and b) i'm not convinced it does mean anything for indiepop in a broader sense

christ, if i started getting upset about this sort of stuff then i may as well start getting pissy about how many dickheads like Nirvana

umm

if anyone finds my point, please let me know

anyway the album's quite good and i like that Buried Alive one lots but i wish they'd not lost the noisy guitar

everard

Post by everard » Wed Feb 06, 2013 18:01

i liked them more way back yesterday when they were not indiepop.

after a bunch of listens to the lp i reckon it could have benefited from being shorter, sequenced differently, or both. side a is fantastic whereas side b pales in comparison, being merely very good.

this might objectively be a 'better album', but the first lp felt more thematically/conceptually coherent.

the second covers ep is much stronger than the first one. also, despite being called five covers, the cd has all six of the songs that are on the 12" version, which is nice. i like that at least a couple of the choices act as companion pieces to album tracks, i.e. "teenagers" (the rats) / "teenage", "bury me happy" (the moles) / "buried alive".

i want to hear them cover chris isaak's "wicked game" next time. i mean, they kind of did this time, they just called it "if you still want me", but a straight up cover would be ace.

must be pretty exciting to be in a band where you can bash out a few songs in your guitarist's bathroom and five weeks later there are cd and vinyl versions of what isn't even your primary release!

off to the rough trade instore shortly.

in v.f.-related news:
-- baggy attitude (roxanne from v.f. & jess from brilliant colors) do some cool chris knox covers on a birthday tapes release.
-- the proper ornaments have a full length tape coming out this year, which should be great.

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:47

everard wrote:i want to hear them cover chris isaak's "wicked game" next time. i mean, they kind of did this time, they just called it "if you still want me", but a straight up cover would be ace.
suppose some of em have already covered that with The Royal We. ooh, digging that out again in a sec

everard

Post by everard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:57

indiansummer wrote:
everard wrote:i want to hear them cover chris isaak's "wicked game" next time. i mean, they kind of did this time, they just called it "if you still want me", but a straight up cover would be ace.
suppose some of em have already covered that with The Royal We. ooh, digging that out again in a sec
good point! had totally forgotten that!

nik
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/nikniknik

Post by nik » Thu Feb 07, 2013 15:54

wow...some heated "discussions" about that Guardian review...

It is a bit over the top, but surely the Guardian review is closer to the truth than the utterly moronic review in The Independent?

And whether we agree or not with The Guardian guy, we can still be happy for the band, right? That is an amazing review for them!

Also...have you discussed that Stool Pigeon interview yet? You must have...point me there in case I'm failing at the internet.

I expected shit all over the anorak fan over some of the things mentioned in there...

Personally, I love the new album. I think it's an incredible step up and it really took me by surprise.
Moustache is dead. Deal with it. I'm now Fulhäst (very occasionally)
Fulhäst stuff...and my photo zine
I make music videos and stuff

"I hate music, sometimes I don't. I hate music, it's got too many notes!" - The Replacements