A co-operative venue in London (or elsewhere)?

DIY clubs, gigs, fun
bryonyb
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 23:06
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: A co-operative venue in London (or elsewhere)?

Post by bryonyb » Sun Jul 01, 2012 23:18

hello! i'm bryony, one of the people working on the DIY Space for London project - http://diyspaceforlondon.org - it sounds like we're very much on the same page and at about the same stages in terms of our thinking so I feel we should totally be working together to make this happen ...yeah?! The first benefit show for this happened last night and we raised a few hundred.

One of the three signatories for what's left of the Emmaz money from the last time this was tried (they were unsuccessful for a myriad of reasons but largely due to trying to outright buy a space, which post recession is even less doable) is involved in the discussions around this, btw.

I've been running those 'Big Takeover' gigs for the last three years (mixed bill benefit gigs, everything from indie pop to hardcore, but all outside of 'traditional' venues, railway arches/squats/fire stations/galleries) and its been proven time and time again that London needs this. The info we worked on on the site is all pretty broad brush strokes at the moment, but we were also absolutely into being as broad a church musically as possible.

I'm a project officer at the Arts Council too so I have a bit of an ear to the ground re:funding too.

We were thinking of holding another meeting in the next few weeks for everyone who has thoughts?

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: A co-operative venue in London (or elsewhere)?

Post by Trev » Sun Jul 01, 2012 23:32

bryonyb wrote:hello! i'm bryony, one of the people working on the DIY Space for London project - http://diyspaceforlondon.org - it sounds like we're very much on the same page and at about the same stages in terms of our thinking so I feel we should totally be working together to make this happen ...yeah?! The first benefit show for this happened last night and we raised a few hundred.

One of the three signatories for what's left of the Emmaz money from the last time this was tried (they were unsuccessful for a myriad of reasons but largely due to trying to outright buy a space, which post recession is even less doable) is involved in the discussions around this, btw.

I've been running those 'Big Takeover' gigs for the last three years (mixed bill benefit gigs, everything from indie pop to hardcore, but all outside of 'traditional' venues, railway arches/squats/fire stations/galleries) and its been proven time and time again that London needs this. The info we worked on on the site is all pretty broad brush strokes at the moment, but we were also absolutely into being as broad a church musically as possible.

I'm a project officer at the Arts Council too so I have a bit of an ear to the ground re:funding too.

We were thinking of holding another meeting in the next few weeks for everyone who has thoughts?
I'd be interested in coming along.
not really here


bryonyb
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 23:06
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: A co-operative venue in London (or elsewhere)?

Post by bryonyb » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:41

awesome!!

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: A co-operative venue in London (or elsewhere)?

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 10, 2012 17:30

Anyone else interested in this? Hit me up on email info(AT)oddboxrecords.com - need to try and get this off the ground.
not really here

roundbitsofplastic
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57
Location: Brumagem

Re: A co-operative venue in London (or elsewhere)?

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:53

Trev wrote:Anyone else interested in this? Hit me up on email info(AT)oddboxrecords.com - need to try and get this off the ground.
I'm still dead interested, Trev. But at the moment I seem to be busy with gigs, I have to move house soon and I don;t know where/who with, and my job is up in April (but I hate it anyway). So, yeah. I'm kinda stressed about that shit.

But I am really, really interested!
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:35
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: A co-operative venue in London (or elsewhere)?

Post by RITH » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:42

Is there any news about this?

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: A co-operative venue in London (or elsewhere)?

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 25, 2013 16:49

It kinda dropped off the map. Sadly.

I was/am looking into the possibilty of opening a venue. Anyone got a spare £50K?
not really here

kofi
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:57
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: both sides of the river

Re: A co-operative venue in London (or elsewhere)?

Post by kofi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 09:11

was your aim/plan the same as this one Trev?

http://diyspaceforlondon.org/about/

they seem to be coming from a more 'punk' angle but basically talking about the same idea.

roundbitsofplastic
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57
Location: Brumagem

Re: A co-operative venue in London (or elsewhere)?

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 18:02

Trev wrote:It kinda dropped off the map. Sadly.

I was/am looking into the possibilty of opening a venue. Anyone got a spare £50K?
I've been promised housing benefit soon. Will that do?

I've got a guitar amp, most of a drum kit, and a lot of free time. I'll be the janitor.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest