Vote for Indietracks in the UK Festival Awards!

Ah, memories...
Nat

Vote for Indietracks in the UK Festival Awards!

Post by Nat » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:04 pm

Indietracks has been nominated in five categories in the 2008 UK Festival Awards! Hurray!

If you enjoyed the festival and fancy helping us out, it would be great if you’d like to pop over and cast us a vote or two. Maybe we have a fair chance of coming away with Best Small Festival, Best Family Festival or Best Grassroots Festival. Just imagine how much fun it would be to see our festival pick up an award!

And just think what a brilliant thing it might be if we could subtly drop a festival award into the conversation when we’re asking some of the bigger indiepop names if they want to play at the festival next year!

It only takes 20 seconds to vote. You can also win a pair of tickets to every winning festival next year!

If you’d like to help us out, please visit the Indietracks Nomination Page before 13 October. Thank you!
Last edited by Nat on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: Vote for Indietracks in the UK Festival Awards!

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Hope it wins one of them awards!
not really here

duanne99
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by duanne99 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:27 pm

Job done !
Oh my god - So much to do and soooo little time !!!

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:54 pm

Isn't the idea of this a bit, I dunno, contrary to the spirit of Indietracks, or something?

Martijn
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall

Post by Martijn » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:13 pm

humblebee wrote:Isn't the idea of this a bit, I dunno, contrary to the spirit of Indietracks, or something?
I was thinking just that. Just like I never understood the idea of voting for small, supposedly indie(pop) bands in major competitions either. Isn't Indietracks just great as it is?

Andy...

Post by Andy... » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:15 pm

I can see what you mean a bit Pete and Martijn, and I don't think anyone sees this as a big thing. More a bit of fun, like B&S winning at the Brits!

Having said that, I think getting an award would be a good - and free! - way to help attract punters and bands to come along next year, without having to sacrifice any independence.

I've voted anyway, and am hoping to win Reading AND Leeds tickets :-)

Trev

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Andy... wrote:I can see what you mean a bit Pete and Martijn, and I don't think anyone sees this as a big thing. More a bit of fun, like B&S winning at the Brits!

Having said that, I think getting an award would be a good - and free! - way to help attract punters and bands to come along next year, without having to sacrifice any independence.
I'm with you. A bit of clout to attract bands can't hurt. I kinda think awards are a bit naff, mind. Either way - I voted.
not really here

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:16 am

last time i looked, amazing bands were queueing up to play Indietracks.

what's the category? best british steam train based festival sponsored by the RMT? actually, that would be kind of cool.
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:43 am

I only take awards seriously if they're sponsored by haircare products.
Toot toot.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Martijn wrote:Isn't Indietracks just great as it is?
Andy... wrote:I think getting an award would be a good - and free! - way to help attract punters and bands to come along next year
There needs to be a conversation about whether Indietracks should try to attract lots more people. I wouldn't presume to tell Stuart what to do, obviously, and this may not be the time and place for that conversation. But there may be those who feel the thing would lose what makes it special if it gets much bigger, and they should just be able to say so somewhere.

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:03 pm

humblebee wrote:
Martijn wrote:Isn't Indietracks just great as it is?
Andy... wrote:I think getting an award would be a good - and free! - way to help attract punters and bands to come along next year
There needs to be a conversation about whether Indietracks should try to attract lots more people. I wouldn't presume to tell Stuart what to do, obviously, and this may not be the time and place for that conversation. But there may be those who feel the thing would lose what makes it special if it gets much bigger, and they should just be able to say so somewhere.
I think there is a conversation to be had. But I think, done with a little thought, the festival could grow in size and still retain it's essence. I am sure if they had the budget we could have seen bands like Tullycraft, B&S, Camera Obscura that would musically fit and help attract people who might 'get' what the festival is all about. Like Pete said, not telling people who run the festival what to do - just giving my opinion and how it could grow and still be great.
not really here

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:34 pm

I don't suppose attracting punters necessarily means increasing the numbers either. I'm sure there's work to be done just to get the same size of crowd as this year back. It's an over-saturated market and though there's many of us here that will do nearly anything in our power to ensure going back year after year; that probably can't be said of everyone that was there .
Saying that - I don't want to do anything that'll cause getting a seat in the church to be any harder than it already is!

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:37 pm

islandhopper wrote:I don't suppose attracting punters necessarily means increasing the numbers either. I'm sure there's work to be done just to get the same size of crowd as this year back.
That's a very good point, hadn't really thought of that.
not really here

Nat

Post by Nat » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:48 pm

Yeah, I think Islandhopper has hit the nail on the head. It's not about making Indietracks bigger, it's about ensuring Indietracks can continue successfully. Also, it's the railway's money at stake - so we need to keep attracting people.

And yes, let's debate what the festival should be like - Anorak is a perfect place to do that. Stuart always listens to and acts on comments made here, and you can also write to us at indietracksonline@gmail.com

I understand all the points made here but I'd still encourage people to vote- I think it will help us out, even if only in a small way.

Martijn
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall

Post by Martijn » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:09 pm

I will vote when I have some more time. My main concern wasn't really that Indietracks shouldn't be bigger; rather that the Indietracks experience (like any musical --or non-musical-- experience, really) is a personal one. I don't think of Indietracks as better than other festivals (that I didn't attend anyway), not because I don't think it is better (it certainly was for me), but because 'betterness' can not (and should not) be measured. That is my main objection with 'contests' like this, no matter whether they are sponsored by Shockwaves or not. I am, however, all for extra exposure for Indietracks!

emml
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/too_much_

Post by emml » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:48 pm

I think this was only meant as a bit of fun - but any exposure for Indietracks is exposure for the Midland Railway charity, which ultimately means Indietracks can keep running!

It's not really about trying to get bigger (which, given the capacity of the site, is kind of limited anyway), but yes, it would be nice if a few more people were aware of us who might like to come along to something a bit different and maybe hear some bands they've never heard before.

in search of lazy jane

Post by in search of lazy jane » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:43 am

One of my hopes for indietracks has always been to attract more people to enjoy indiepop in general. More people attracted to the festival = more people enjoying the music = more people turning up at other gigs and buying more cds. The important thing is to attract the right people.

As has been said there isn't a lot of room for us to grow, but we can still grow a bit. I'm still keen to do this which will allow us to bring in more bands from abroad that we would all love to see.

If nothing else the awards voting is a way of keeping indietracks fresh in people's minds for next year.

ian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by ian » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Done! Although I couldn't bring myself to vote for you in the best toilets category...;)

I don't think there's anything wrong in Indietracks being included in a vote like this or in people voting for it. Let's face it, there was a lot of people who just went for the Weddoes or Los Campesinos! this year who probably won't go back next year - spreading the word like this is a good way of finding people who might like to go in their place

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:45 pm

in search of lazy jane wrote:One of my hopes for indietracks has always been to attract more people to enjoy indiepop in general. More people attracted to the festival = more people enjoying the music = more people turning up at other gigs and buying more cds. The important thing is to attract the right people.

As has been said there isn't a lot of room for us to grow, but we can still grow a bit. I'm still keen to do this which will allow us to bring in more bands from abroad that we would all love to see.
It makes sense to me. I would have thought the nature of the site and the limited nearby camping facilities (as well as the ... ah ... "quixotic" nature of the campsite owners) would put an ultimate limit on size.

As you say it's a case of getting the right people. That isn't being elitist. I just mean people who are going to "get it" as a whole rather than just turn up to see the headliner and dismiss the rest of it as amateurish indiepop nonsense. That's said from the perspective of someone who overheard exactly that conversation at this year's do. I mean fair enough if that's how they feel, but you can't help thinking they were missing the whole point of it. I suspect care taken over who is headlining is key here, but that's your job not ours and I wouldn't presume to tell you how to do it :)

More bands from abroad ... yes, yes, yes. That would be a very good thing I think.
In Recordeo Speramus

Andy...

Post by Andy... » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Well, the initial votes have been counted and I'm pleased to say Indietracks has made the final shortlist for Best Small Festival! This means it's finished ahead of lots of other festivals, so thanks very much to everyone that voted!

There's another week of voting for the final shortlist and, bizarrely, although your original votes will still count, anyone that's previously voted can now vote again. So, if you're at a loose end and fancy helping out again, please pop over to the Indietracks Nomination Page.