8tracks

chunter on randomly
Amanda

Re: 8tracks

Post by Amanda » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:39 am

I didn't know about this site. I like how easy it is to upload a mix (I made one about kokomo), and, as I think someone said up the thread, that you're not limited by what's in its library.

I'm not sure how well I like it for listening, since you can't see what's coming up in a mix and can only skip tracks so often, but I may just need to get acclimated.

alongwaltz
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/

The Indiepop Tapes

Post by alongwaltz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:15 pm

Apparently it was this very week last year that I started making a series of mixtapes to introduce my friends to indiepop. I called it The Indiepop Tapes and I've since uploaded 63 volumes to my 8tracks page.

Each volume is one hour long and most volumes are comprised entirely of new artists that haven't previously appeared in the series. My goal is for the series to be an all-encompassing intro to indiepop and twee but there's also significant crossover into C86, cuddlecore, dream pop, slowcore, shoegaze, noisepop, punk, post-punk, bubblegum, new wave, riot grrrl, antifolk, sunshine pop, indie rock, girl groups, soul, etc. etc.

I post a new volume every Monday and Thursday and I just finished making a page on my blog where I've posted the full track lists and cover art for every volume so far - http://myechoheart.tumblr.com/theindiepoptapes
Last edited by alongwaltz on Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:45 am

It's been almost a year again, and alongwaltz is still going!

Last weekend I was digging through some old stuff and found my CD of the Donnas' American Teenage Rock 'n' Roll Machine. This was a major find for me because the album's out of print now (perhaps not that hard to get used, but still) and I'd been craving it. So I've been in full 90s rocking mode ever since and made my second 8tracks playlist to commemorate the blessed event.

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:55 am

A once-ubiquitous toy store chain in the United States, Toys R Us filed for bankruptcy recently and then even more recently announced they are closing every store. In response, the weird dude (I assume) who owns the KB Toys name then announced he'll be bringing KB back to life and hopes to do so by Christmas. KB (sometimes Kay Bee) used to be in all the malls and was like the brighter, cuter little sister to Toys R Us. I worked at KB as a teen and it was probably the best job I have ever had/will ever have: a colorful, happy, busy place, brimming with toys, plus I was a teenager working at the mall which is like having superpowers in that you automatically become more cool and attractive, plus THE MUSIC. We had the best music. Every month we got a new four hours of peppy, optimistic, family-friendly music to listen to endlessly and it could not have been better. I mean some of the children's music was irritating but besides that. From the Brady Bunch to the Barenaked Ladies, from the Jackson Five to John Lithgow, we had it all.

I've been meaning to put together a playlist commemorating those good old days for almost 20 years and the news finally motivated me to make it happen. I ran through all the lists and notes to myself I've made over the years (mostly while drunk) of 100% guaranteed* KB tunes and the result is 18 tracks of pure mall toy store magic.

Ladies and Gentlemen, je te presente One Hour in Toyland.