So how do you listen to music now?

chunter on randomly
humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

So how do you listen to music now?

Post by humblebee » Tue Jan 12, 2016 15:00

Who still uses physical formats most? Who's all digital and clouded up? Anyone got that posh thing where you put all your music on a hard drive and speakers in every room of your house? I can't remember the name of it now.

I've just had some shelving built in my sitting room so I can finally move my stereo and vinyl into it (after years of mouldering in the cellar), and then discovered the turntable doesn't work any more and I've run out of money to get it fixed and buy some speaker cable. BOOOO.

But I've just discovered Google Play Music and uploaded my whole collection of 10,000 mp3s, so now I can listen to those anywhere using my phone or tablet and play 'em on the stereo wirelessly using a bluetooth receiver. YAAAAY.

But I've never ever really got into listening to music while I'm walking, even though you're allowed to use proper headphones now instead of crappy ear bud things that always drop out.* Maybe walking is interesting enough already without music.

Does the format and the location change the way you listen to music? I sometimes wonder whether one of the reasons we seem to experience music most intensely when we're young is because we have our stereos in our bedrooms, where you lie down and really listen properly, and then when we're a bit older and we get a place on our own instead of with parents or housemates, we put our music in the sitting room and then we're distracted from listening properly by other stuff.

*Are you allowed to use any headphones for that, or are there special walking ones, and people will laugh at you if you use ordinary ones? I think I missed a memo.

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Re: So how do you listen to music now?

Post by leon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 15:42

I listen to vinyl almost exclusively at home, as I don't have a CD player (other than a Discman). That corner of the living room is mine although Julie hates the unit I bought to put my records in (a cheap Argos version of the Ikea Expedit units). I have some massive Castle speakers which are too big for the living room so they're in the shed at risk of getting mouldy. They were my dads but I think he'd rather I sell them than let them go to seed.

In the car though I can only listen to CDs, and I don't have a lot of indiepop on CD. As most of my indiepop stuff (except for all the stuff on 7") is on my iphone the only time I get to listen to that now is on headphones (ancient Sony in-ear ones that came with my Discman over 15 years ago) when I do the ten minute walk from the car to work.* I used to be able to hook my mp3 device up to my car stereo but the one in our current car doesn't have that option.

Now I don't live alone I seem to do less listening to stuff online on my laptop whilst idly browsing like I used to do - I'd be disturbing what the rest of the family were watching/listening to. For that reason I seem to have stopped trying out new music and bands. I should try find a way to remedy that.

*I'm reluctant to use any kind of on-ear type headphones for the walk to work as the area where I park is not the safest, so I'd rather the fact I have any kind of nickable digital device in my pocket isn't advertised too much.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 15:43

Addendum: All my old tapes are in the shed, and I'm thinking of getting a little boombox thingy to play them whilst I work on my scooter.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Tue Jan 12, 2016 16:02

I listen to CDs in the car, mp3s at work and nowadays it seems I mostly have the radio on when I want some music at home. 6music plays enough good stuff that I rarely get annoyed with it.

I've noticed that my favourite albums at the end of the year tend to be the ones that I've downloaded (from bandcamp, usually), burned onto CD and left in the car, because I end up hearing those ones more than any others.

I still tend to buy physical releases whenever I can, but I'm starting to wonder whether it's force of habit more than anything else, since they quite often get played once and then left on a shelf.

I asked for some new headphones for christmas because the ones I had been using at work stopped working in one ear, but the new ones are really uncomfortable. How long do you think I have to keep using them for out of politeness, even though the person who got them for me will never know? I'll know.

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Tue Jan 12, 2016 16:55

My turntable also needs money spending on it that I haven't got :-(. It still works but the stylus is worn so the quality is not good and someone once told me that a worn stylus can damage your records. They don't make that stylus anymore so I need a whole new cartridge.

My preferred form of listening is to vinyl while doing nothing else but I only really do that when Jo's gone out and Ralph's in bed which is not very often these days.

I have a Raspberry Pi hooked up to the hifi with a hard drive containing all my digital music controlled with an app on my phone. This has completely replaced any cd listening to as it is much more convenient than putting on a cd. I can also stream to my phone from there too - though don't use that very often in case I use up all my phone's data.

I have a Bluetooth speaker to listen to music on my phone while I'm doing the washing up (usually compilations of old ska on shuffle) or in the bath.

I also listen on my phone while walking with some posh (posh for me anyway, they cost £30) earbuds.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 12, 2016 18:37

humblebee wrote:Who still uses physical formats most? Who's all digital and clouded up? Anyone got that posh thing where you put all your music on a hard drive and speakers in every room of your house? I can't remember the name of it now.
I've got a Sonos system that does the latter. I listen to music digitally first (on the go, sonos), and I have turntable hooked up which I use a lot too. Also got a boom box for playing cassettes. Probably have a cassette day once every month or so. I find Sonos very useful for streaming radio - pretty much any radio show that has an online presence is available.

All my digital files are on a network drive and in the cloud - I use google play too. Less chance of losing if a hard drive crashes.

Aside from a CD drive which I can attach to my laptop I don't own anything to play CDs on that actual works (the CD player on the boom box is pretty much useless).

And yes I try to avoid music as background noise. I like to give my full attention to the songs I am playing. Saying that I do often listen whilst doing Odd Box admin etc.
not really here

alongwaltz
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/

Post by alongwaltz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 15:09

When I'm out walking or on the bus or train, I listen to mp3's that I've uploaded to my iPhone.

When I'm at home, it's usually CD's or online streaming through Bandcamp or 8tracks.

Wheatabeat
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu Jan 14, 2016 00:29

In the lounge we have a high-end Yamaha AV Receiver which provides us with an amazing surround sound option for movies and plays audio brilliantly. I play music off my computer (in the kitchen) which I can stream to the lounge via Apple TV and/or via the Bluetooth speakers in the kitchen. It's all MP3's that are stored on the computer via a mirrored hard drive. I think someday I'll migrate to cloud storage most likely.

I don't actually play a physical format of music at the moment. Our vinyl collection is stored in our loft, the plan one day is to set a proper hi-fi up with turntable to listen to but I think it's years away until we're able to do that. Our lounge is too small to set it up in, I prefer to keep it clutter free so we may move to somewhere bigger and do it then. Or get the loft converted and have a proper space.

The amount of music I listen to is tiny compared to what I used to. Being busy with work, our son and generally fucked after about 8pm means I listen to 6 music for 20 mins to and from work and a few albums on the way to my mums and back to drop Dylan off every week. I feel massively out of touch with 'new music' but I doesn't seem to bother me too much. I never thought I'd feel this way.

I need to start getting back to walking our dog on 5-6 mile walks again. I stormed through about 3 podcasts and plenty of albums on the headphones when I did that. Now she gets a 15 min zip round the block twice a day.
Fuck your tea room.

malaise

Post by malaise » Fri Jan 15, 2016 01:06

I hardly listen to music at all anymore. I used to sit in front of my stereo for hours at a time, but now my attention span is shit and nothing really moves me. I'll listen to some unfamiliar albums that I downloaded if I have to take a long drive, but I don't spend time with and absorb music like I used to. It used to mean the world to me, but now not so much

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Mon Jan 18, 2016 14:49

Update: Google Play Music/bluetooth receiver thing now up and running.

It's kind of quirky. I was playing a Joanna Gruesome EP on it last night and it randomly decided to drop a Fiery Furnaces track into the middle. Worked quite well, to be fair.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Mon Jan 18, 2016 15:35

I have a half hour walk to and from work each day so that time is always spent listening to my ipod though I must admit that that sometimes means podcasts rather than music.
I use these headphones which actually stay in my ears and don't break after 6 months like every other pair of headphones I've ever owned. Proper warranty on them too.

At home I usually listen to 6music in the kitchen while making and eating dinner. If I'm making something that takes a little more time then I also have speakers in there that I can hook the ipod up to.

We have a stereo and a dansette in the living-room but the challenge can be to find a time when the tv isn't on to use them. The number of times I listen to a new record on vinyl is certainly always a lot less than I'll listen to the digital version.

I may also get a chance to listen to music if I'm working on my laptop upstairs but that seems to happen much less often these days.

In conclusion: being in a relationship is good for your health / bad for your opportunities to listen to music.

This Is Helena
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tout_va_bien

Post by This Is Helena » Mon Jan 18, 2016 21:06

I listen mostly to Spotify nowadays. I have a long commute so have a few thousand songs stored for offline listening on my phone. At home I've just bought a fancy new hifi thing. The manufacturer calls it a 'hifi stereo network receiver'. It's got wifi, bluetooth, airplay, internet radio, Spotify Connect and all sorts of things. I stream my cd collection from my computer to the hifi and also use Spotify Connect.

I've still got quite a few records but no longer own a record player. I can't bring myself to give away my records but can't be arsed to flog any more of them. I did spend quite a while selling half my collection on Ebay but it's such a tedious process and it's hardly worth the effort when most of them aren't worth much. I got rid of all my cassettes a while ago when my player died. I do like physical formats but it's so expensive and my collecting of records did get out of hand for a while.

When I was younger I always dreamed of being able to access vast collections of music as I do now without having to get up and flip the record over. I sometimes find myself aimlessly wandering around music shops picking stuff up and then remembering I have no real reason to be there. It all adds up to a strange sort of alienation.
be popular play pop

noLooking

Post by noLooking » Tue Jan 19, 2016 16:06

This Is Helena wrote:When I was younger I always dreamed of being able to access vast collections of music as I do now without having to get up and flip the record over. I sometimes find myself aimlessly wandering around music shops picking stuff up and then remembering I have no real reason to be there. It all adds up to a strange sort of alienation.
I think one of the main things about music used to be the consumerist impulse, the idea of wanting to have a nice object, and whilst that's on the rise again with the return of vinyl, it seems to have been replaced with this idea of quantity, that you can have everything right now and never have to wait for anything. Which is all very well, but I just find it so...limiting, paradoxically enough.

The problem for me with having so much choice is that it becomes hard to focus, you flit from one thing to another without really getting the measure of it. Whilst even if I'm just buying a £2-3 CD off of ebay, it's sat there on the side, taunting me with the fact I haven't listened to it, reminding me that I've made a commitment to it and asking me to justify my purchase.

I can see the appeal of streaming and that, and use it from time to time, but overall it ends up making things too disposable for my liking. The thing about dreaming of having all the records you could ever want is, once you've got them all, what else is left?

Shaun A
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Shaun A » Thu Jan 21, 2016 23:43

it all depends on the time of day/week:

Breakfast during the week: WFMU playing out of my phone
At work when my boss who hates jazz is out of the office: Full jazz albums on youtube playing in the background (I've decided it's "Archie Shepp Week" this week. Much to everybody's annoyance, and my own mirth). Incidentally, the YouTube comments section really comes into it's own when they're discussing free jazz - "Daffy Duck gets bothered by a bee" was a memorable (and accurate) comment about an Albert Ayler LP.
Driving about: CDr's/CD's in the van.
Tea: My housemate's Velvets LP's blaring out of the living room so i can listen to them in the kitchen.
Relaxing: I hate TV so i like reading next to my record player with a stack of choice LP's. Call me old fashioned.
Friday night!: LP's at full volume while getting ready (IE looking for a t-shirt that's not been worn twice already, or the other shoe)
Having people round to the house: Stack of beer, stack of choice 45's. It keeps you fit getting up every few minutes to switch records. Even fitter if you're having a punk night and there's nothing over two minutes ten seconds. this probably explains why punks are skinny and jazz or prog fans are a bit larger.